How many of you BJJ guys train hip throws (Ogashi)?

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious since they do it here for the blue belt grading. Gracies schools are known to train takedowns as well. It's perfectly legal in tournaments but not very often used.

Is it part of every BJJ curriculum?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We do it for BJJ and MMA it isn't a huge part because people tend to mess it up and get choked.

But it is definitely there.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We do it for BJJ and MMA it isn't a huge part because people tend to mess it up and get choked.

But it is definitely there.

When you say it isn't a huge part of a BJJ, you mean what exactly? Once a week? Once a month? Once every 6 month?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once a month Mabye. There would be two guys in our gym who ever actually uses it.

(I did it once in a comp but otherwise not so much)

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Once a month Mabye. There would be two guys in our gym who ever actually uses it.

(I did it once in a comp but otherwise not so much)

Wow! Yet you still grade in it like that school I linked to? I could easily miss those classes by coincidence.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was assured by the instructor that they do takedowns every week. I'm guessing it's not that one:)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow! Yet you still grade in it like that school I linked to? I could easily miss those classes by coincidence.

Yep. And so could become a black belt without ever having a functional hip throw.

No big loss. There are plenty of techniques that you may never become functional at.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My coach recently wrestled a brown believe who just sat on his **** the whole round.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
. And so could become a black belt without ever having a functional hip throw..

Well, I have hip thrown someone in a fight much larger than me without every having trained grappling. I did not think it was hard, yet a lot of people claim it is... I just used his momentum, it wasn't any brute force behind it.

I'm not saying it to brag, trying to make a point. How can you suck at it?:S

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I have hip thrown someone in a fight much larger than me without every having trained grappling. I did not think it was hard, yet a lot of people claim it is... I just used his momentum, it wasn't any brute force behind it.

Did the dude you fought know how to resist a hip throw? It's a different thing doing it against an untrained person rushing at you, then a judoka or mma fighter (or boxer even).

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did the dude you fought know how to resist a hip throw? It's a different thing doing it against an untrained person rushing at you, then a judoka or mma fighter (or boxer even).

He was in for it the second time he got up but I still flipped him again. I'm a good athlete so I'm not gonna pretend as if I'm your average joe but I only did what I had seen in movies.

Maybe Judo is a bit of an innate thing..

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I tried it on people who could fight back.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I have hip thrown someone in a fight much larger than me without every having trained grappling.
How did you move in? Did you spin your body?

The traditional hip throw has the following issues.

- You need to spin your body and give your back to your opponent.
- Since your opponent's both legs are free, it's easy for him to step in front of you and escape.
- Your opponent can crack your elbow joint on your waist holding arm.
- Your opponent can press down your leg behind your knee.
- Your opponent can bounce you off with his belly.
- Your opponent's free hand can pull your head backward.

In order to solve those issues, the "entering strategy" is very important.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Gracie JJ hip throws are fundamental, and are trained a lot. However, the reason you don't see them used often is because there's more effective takedowns for competition and MMA like Guard pulling and DLTs.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In Gracie JJ hip throws are fundamental, and are trained a lot. However, the reason you don't see them used often is because there's more effective takedowns for competition and MMA like Guard pulling and DLTs.

Double leg takedown run the risk of getting caught in a guillotine and lose on the spot. I would say the vast majority seem to pull guard in BJJ, which some argue isn't even a takedown technique.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Double leg takedown run the risk of getting caught in a guillotine and lose on the spot. I would say the vast majority seem to pull guard in BJJ, which some argue isn't even a takedown technique.

And hip throws open you up for back takes.

Every throw or takedown has its share of risks. However if you look at MMA or BJJ, there's a reason you're mostly seeing DLTs and Guard Pulls. It's because they're high percentage takedowns with lower downsides than other throws or takedowns.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anything can be messed up, just as anything can work if all the pieces just fall into position.

Drop's referring to people who mess it up and end up getting choked is probably mostly due to the person trying to throw not having any kuzushi on their opponent (they didn't break the balance). If you don't take your opponent's balance as you enter for Ogoshi (it's two O letters, there's no "A" in Ogoshi by the way) then you are just giving them your back. If you did that, you probably don't have good control of their arm, either,a nd you just put it halfway into a rear naked. Almost like giving them an early Christmas present.

People who are entering (poorly) for outside foot/leg techniques often just "walk onto" Ogoshi, used as a counter. Same basic problem of no kuzushi causes that, too.

Step No. 1 to all throwing techniques, break balance. Note (just as in your example) you dont even have to do anything to get their balance, they may just hand it over.

Latest Discussions