How many of you BJJ guys train hip throws (Ogashi)?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not if you're competent

No throw is foolproof, no matter how competent you are.

In fact, in my school we were taught to avoid hip throws entirely because they can leave you vulnerable. Like I said, there's a reason you don't see them much in MMA and sport BJJ.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No throw is foolproof, no matter how competent you are.

In fact, in my school we were taught to avoid hip throws entirely because they can leave you vulnerable. Like I said, there's a reason you don't see them much in MMA and sport BJJ.

MMA is no gi. You see them in BJJ whenever a black belt judoka competes

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you know of any black belt judokas competing (and winning) in elite Bjj tournaments?

I don't.

I don't know if they won the tournament but they have performed various hip throws.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You said "various", not one or two hip throws thrown in the entire match.

I wrote that various hip throws have been performed. I did not write anything about various in the same match, that's your inference.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wrote that various hip throws have been performed. I did not write anything about various in the same match, that's your inference.

I misunderstood what you meant then. My mistake.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I visited another BJJ school for comparison. They train takedowns positionally every session but only spar standing once a week, in the competitors group. No hip throw that session.

By contrast, the instructor for my club said "start standing all sparring rounds". Not sure if that is equivalent to "every sparring session".

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you please break down how you avoid a back take?
Anybody who train "hip throw" should know this.

1. Don't rotate your body. You cut in from the side in a mirror stance (you have right side forward, your opponent has left side forward).
2. Use under hook (or cracking) to control your opponent's free arm so that free arm won't wrap around your waist.
3. Don't let your opponent's leading hand to reach to your leg.
4. Don't allow your opponent to stay in horse stance. Spring his foot and force him into a bow-arrow stance.

No body rotation in this hip throw. He cuts in from a side angle.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here are some back taken. The hand on the back of the leg and the hand around the waist can give one some trouble.

That's Shaio Jiao (sp?), not Judo.

Btw, any groundfighting in SJ?

Latest Discussions