How many are Hapkidoists?

OP
O

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am still, and likely always will be an old CMA guy, andvI can't call myself a Hapkidoists or a Hapkidoin, but I am checking out a Hapkido school this week.

I hope you enjoy it. I don't know much about CMA, but I think you will find the concepts different. Of course it depends on the school too. Some Hapkido schools are sport oriented from what I hear.

OP
O

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just saw this. If the taping covers the joint being targeted, it should make the technique less effective in most cases. I can tell the difference if someone's fingers slip down onto my wrist during a wrist lock, and that's not nearly as much support. Now, I can't say with any certainty that it would stop the techniques from doing their job, but it would almost certainly reduce the odds of success.

I can see what you are saying. And since I don't have any experience with that I can't speak definitively. But the type of wrist lock I am speaking of normally the fingers of one hand would be on the person's wrist by intent. Even if I were grabbing the hand, it would more often be my hands on each side of the opponent's hand.

But as I said, I don't have experience with that. I will have to try that at my first opportunity and see what happens. Thanks to all for pointing out the possibility of needing extra care on my part.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see what you are saying. And since I don't have any experience with that I can't speak definitively. But the type of wrist lock I am speaking of normally the fingers of one hand would be on the person's wrist by intent. Even if I were grabbing the hand, it would more often be my hands on each side of the opponent's hand.

But as I said, I don't have experience with that. I will have to try that at my first opportunity and see what happens. Thanks to all for pointing out the possibility of needing extra care on my part.
Not knowing the specific lock, I obviously can't speak to that one. There are some locks where the effect is probably minimal (even non-existent, perhaps, in one I can think of). There are some where the effect would be more profound. I'll be interested in hearing the results of our experimentation.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I hope you enjoy it. I don't know much about CMA, but I think you will find the concepts different. Of course it depends on the school too. Some Hapkido schools are sport oriented from what I hear.

First style I started with, back in the stone age, was Japanese Jujutsu, after that I went to Taekwondo before it was an Olympic sport.....then I went CMA probably around the time of the renaissance.:D...(yeah I'm old).:D... I am hoping I too am hoping I enjoy Hapkido.:)

OP
O

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
First style I started with, back in the stone age, was Japanese Jujutsu, after that I went to Taekwondo before it was an Olympic sport.....then I went CMA probably around the time of the renaissance.:D...(yeah I'm old).:D... I am hoping I too am hoping I enjoy Hapkido.:)

I try not to brag about it too much here on MT, but I used to advise a general. I always told him what I thought too. I remember one time during a battle, turning to the general and sternly saying "Moses ..."

And you think you are old? :) ;)

Please let us know your impression of Hapkido after a class or two.

MasterArtMason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We don't see much activity in the Hapkido thread. I was just wondering how many consider themselves Hapkidoists (or Hapkidoin if you prefer).

Are you belted? Do you still study?

In my case I attained a 2nd Degree black belt in 1987. I have trained to 3rd, but never tested. I study on my own when I can. I have had some health issues that are slowly getting better, but I don't know for sure of any Hapkido schools in the area with the exception of Maryland where they may be 1 or 2, and in the Woodbridge area of VA. At least there used to be.

There are of course a lot of schools, usually TKD, that advertise also teaching Hapkido. Most seem only to know a few techniques, which they may teach better or worse.

As Hapkido students would know, it isn't a popular art for some reason, even in Korea. I have never been sure why. It may be the violence of the techniques, the throwing/breakfalls, or something else. It could also the aversion of moving into attacks, or fear of not being able to achieve the speed and accuracy needed. Any Hapkido students have any ideas on that?

My root is Hapkido, but I have added so much to it from other arts now it does not look anything the same.

OP
O

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My root is Hapkido, but I have added so much to it from other arts now it does not look anything the same.

I don't think that is unusual for any martial artist in any martial art. I think we all see things we like enough to incorporate into our own personal tool box.

Would you like to tell us a little more about yourself in the Meet and Greet sub-forum?

carltonlundy.com

White Belt
Reaction score
We don't see much activity in the Hapkido thread. I was just wondering how many consider themselves Hapkidoists (or Hapkidoin if you prefer).

Are you belted? Do you still study?

In my case I attained a 2nd Degree black belt in 1987. I have trained to 3rd, but never tested. I study on my own when I can. I have had some health issues that are slowly getting better, but I don't know for sure of any Hapkido schools in the area with the exception of Maryland where they may be 1 or 2, and in the Woodbridge area of VA. At least there used to be.

There are of course a lot of schools, usually TKD, that advertise also teaching Hapkido. Most seem only to know a few techniques, which they may teach better or worse.

As Hapkido students would know, it isn't a popular art for some reason, even in Korea. I have never been sure why. It may be the violence of the techniques, the throwing/breakfalls, or something else. It could also the aversion of moving into attacks, or fear of not being able to achieve the speed and accuracy needed. Any Hapkido students have any ideas on that?

carltonlundy.com

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that is unusual for any martial artist in any martial art. I think we all see things we like enough to incorporate into our own personal tool box.

Would you like to tell us a little more about yourself in the Meet and Greet sub-forum?
I am a certified fifth degree in the Hampton roads area. I have more than forty years in the study of Korean Hapkido. I was a member of the World Hapkido Federation and promoted to fifth by its founder. I was awarded my 1st degree in 1976 in South Korea endorsed by GM Ji Han Jae then Head of the Korean Hapkido Association in Seoul Korea, My instructor at the time was Master Pak Son Han of Kunsan Korea where he taught for a number of years,

The reason Hapkido is not widely taught is that it is highly effective. It requires expert instruction which without advanced techniques can not be taught. Most people do not have the time nor the skill to teach it effectively. I thank God for having meet some of the best Hapkido Masters on the planet .Master Carlton Lundy a life time practitioner, To God be the Glory.

OP
O

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a certified fifth degree in the Hampton roads area. I have more than forty years in the study of Korean Hapkido. I was a member of the World Hapkido Federation and promoted to fifth by its founder. I was awarded my 1st degree in 1976 in South Korea endorsed by GM Ji Han Jae then Head of the Korean Hapkido Association in Seoul Korea, My instructor at the time was Master Pak Son Han of Kunsan Korea where he taught for a number of years,

The reason Hapkido is not widely taught is that it is highly effective. It requires expert instruction which without advanced techniques can not be taught. Most people do not have the time nor the skill to teach it effectively. I thank God for having meet some of the best Hapkido Masters on the planet .Master Carlton Lundy a life time practitioner, To God be the Glory.

I was at Camp Humphreys from 74-76. I first saw Hapkido demonstrated on Korean TV, along with a lot of other Korean MA. At first I thought it was just fake, that the practitioners were simulating the pain and inability to get up right away. Ha! I eventually learned the error of my ways. :( :)

OP
O

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I tend to agree Hapkido is not widely taught, and I suspect the reason you mention is one of them. Also, what I mentioned above. Not everybody wishes to find themselves flying through the air, or wondering why our practice opponent didn't stop on the first tap. But it is all good, as you would know.

I studied under Lee (Yi) Chong Moon (Mun), depending on the transliteration you wish to use. He had schools throughout Seoul, including at Yong Son. An incredible practitioner and teacher.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While I've studied hapkido and some other martial arts, I do not consider myself a hapkidoist, aikidoka, judoka or anything else. While one may fall back upon the art of first choice or some other, It's folly to paint one's self in a particular corner (style) if one has seriously studied/ranked in more than just one. One thing I've learned over more than 55 years of study is that at some level it becomes just one "art". I mean, a throw is just a throw and a punch is just a punch. If I do a wrist lock throw on an opponent, it's not aikido, hapkido, judo or karate; it's just a wrist lock throw.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I've studied hapkido and some other martial arts, I do not consider myself a hapkidoist, aikidoka, judoka or anything else. While one may fall back upon the art of first choice or some other, It's folly to paint one's self in a particular corner (style) if one has seriously studied/ranked in more than just one. One thing I've learned over more than 55 years of study is that at some level it becomes just one "art". I mean, a throw is just a throw and a punch is just a punch. If I do a wrist lock throw on an opponent, it's not aikido, hapkido, judo or karate; it's just a wrist lock throw.
IMO, in the end, the styles are just a way to get to technique. Sometimes the technique you get to isn't even in the style - it's just a result of the principles and the way you apply them.

Latest Discussions