TKD 2nd Dan, just passed Hapkido Yellow Belt, hardest test so far

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by skribs, Apr 1, 2017.

1. skribs

skribs Brown Belt

My Taekwondo master also teaches Hapkido. I have been taking Taekwondo with him since 2013, and have taken a total of 16 tests for Taekwondo, including 1st and 2nd Dan tests, as well as 3 more tests since getting my black belt. I have done Hapkido off and on during that time (probably a year's worth of training during that time, once a week), and finally felt ready to test for my yellow belt.

I have to say, while there might be more to remember at the macro level for Taekwondo, and the black belt test requires far more physical endurance for Taekwondo, this is the hardest test I've taken yet. Compared with any Taekwondo test I've taken, today I had:
    • More corrections on my technique
    • More attempts to do the techniques correctly
    • More criticism to apply to future training
    I've worked longer to prepare for my yellow belt than I have for any Taekwondo test I've taken thus far. We had a new student today, and in class before the test he told me "you're not a white belt," and I told him I was actually planning on testing today. Even so, I was very nervous during the test, and several times had to stop, close my eyes, and breathe for a few seconds before trying something again.

I am now 2nd Dan in Taekwondo, and yellow belt in Hapkido, and I'm just as proud of my yellow belt as I am of my 2nd Dan.

(This is, of course, not to criticize Taekwondo, because it's a lot of fun and I've practiced really hard to get my techniques to where they are. It's just that with Taekwondo, it's mostly a matter of building muscle memory for me, whereas with Hapkido I have to really work hard to get my techniques correct).

• Like Like x 1
  2. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

CONGRATULATIONS! There is muscle memory as well, if that is what you want to call it. You will get to a point when you feel certain things develop and just react based on what you feeling, into a block or a joint lock. Stay with it. It takes time. I have mentioned before that I never felt so uncoordinated as when I started studying Hakido.

3. JP3

JP3 3rd Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    Based on your report, I'd say that first, your teacher knows you are 2nd dan in TKD so he expects much more of you than he would a typical yellow belt. Next, I'd guess that he may personally enjoy hapkido more than TKD, for much the same reason as you are now experiencing, i.e. more fulfillment in the learning. I agree with you, my own experience with TKD was that it was primarily a muscle memory and physical conditioning regimen, whereas the hapkido was actually a truly tactical art of application of the TKD skills set with the added bonus of expanding the target locations as well as joint manipulation. It's a whole different universe and I'm glad for you that you are enjoying it.

Nice! Another convert, I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. skribs

skribs Brown Belt

I think I had higher expectations for myself than he did for me. He had an easier time than I did remembering I was testing for yellow belt. The test itself is a bit harder, because there's more resistance from the people I'm working with. They're making me apply the techniques instead of just showing my rote memorization, if that makes sense.

I agree that there is muscle memory to hapkido as well, and maybe I didn't clearly explain what I meant. Taekwondo, for me, has been something where I learn a technique and then I spend a long time making it smooth, fast, and strong. It's sort of a sliding scale. Hapkido is something that it's like I don't get it, I don't get it, I don't get it, OH! I got it! I understand that I can get more consistent, that I can get a better feel, that I can improve my footwork and my speed, and that I can get a feel for what to do if my technique is resisted, but it just kinda feels like a bunch of trial-and-error until I figure it out, compared with a steady increase in competency that I have in TKD.

Nope, not a convert. Taekwondo is still my primary art, and in fact last Friday I took a test for 2nd Dan, 2nd Gup. However, I also enjoy Hapkido, and plan to do both.

Thanks for the support, guys!

• Like Like x 1
  5. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

@ skribs - How is your Hapkido progressing? In the Hapkido I studied, from white to yellow, it was pretty much defense against grabs. At yellow, we continued with grab defense, then at the next gup, began studying defense against punches.

6. PhotonGuy

PhotonGuy Senior Master

Well good for you. Congratulations. I had a friend who also trained under an instructor that taught both Taekwondo and Hapkido. You had to be a 1st Dan in Taekwondo before you could even start training in Hapkido.