How many are Hapkidoists?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by oftheherd1, Feb 24, 2017.

1. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

We don't see much activity in the Hapkido thread. I was just wondering how many consider themselves Hapkidoists (or Hapkidoin if you prefer).

Are you belted? Do you still study?

In my case I attained a 2nd Degree black belt in 1987. I have trained to 3rd, but never tested. I study on my own when I can. I have had some health issues that are slowly getting better, but I don't know for sure of any Hapkido schools in the area with the exception of Maryland where they may be 1 or 2, and in the Woodbridge area of VA. At least there used to be.

There are of course a lot of schools, usually TKD, that advertise also teaching Hapkido. Most seem only to know a few techniques, which they may teach better or worse.

As Hapkido students would know, it isn't a popular art for some reason, even in Korea. I have never been sure why. It may be the violence of the techniques, the throwing/breakfalls, or something else. It could also the aversion of moving into attacks, or fear of not being able to achieve the speed and accuracy needed. Any Hapkido students have any ideas on that?

2. gpseymour

gpseymour Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    As an aside, OTH, if you want to find something with similar elements, look for an NGA school. There may be one near you, and I think you'd recognize many parts of what goes on there. We use many of the same throws/locks. We both strike (though I think kicks may be more commonly used in Hapkido). It's a different approach, from what I've seen of Hapkido, but some definite similarities.

• Like Like x 1
  3. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

Thanks. I actually considered that some years ago, but there was only one locally and that only on Saturday mornings. It just didn't fit my schedule. I think it might have been interesting if I could have.

And yes, we do a lot of kicks. We use them for cardio, offense, and defense.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do IKSDA Director

• Supporting Member
    5th Dan. I still study and teach, though not under the HKD label.

If one can get past the fluff, choreography and refined motor skill things that don't work will under duress, HKD can be a very fine art to learn for self defense. Keep it simple, direct and fluid and it works well.

5. JP3

JP3 Purple Belt

When I moved down from Missouri to Texas after undergrad I found a school near to my apartment which was a TKD/HKD school. I was a 2nd degree black in TKD then, and the instructor there was a dual 2nd degree in TKD & HKD, running his school to try to make a business out of it eventually. We got along well (read... had a good time drinking beer together), so I offered and he accepted, to train my teaching 2 to 3 of his TKD classes a week to give him some time for other things in exchange for no-charge Hapkido classes. Eventually I worked it up over quit e along time to 4th degree in both TKD and HKD but that took a long time and while fun, it ended up being... not wasted, not that at all, just a different chapter of my MA history, maybe. Does that make sense?

Now, after doing so much aikido and compare-contrasting it with Hapkido... I don't really think of myself as a Hapkido guy any longer... but I'm definitely not a "typical" aikidoka, either. I acknowledge that and accept it.

But, hey... if there's ever a guy who says Anything can be effective as long as you persist in your training in the correct mindset... it'd be me, so Hapkido, to me, is great. As is everything else. Well, maybe except for sword people. I don't get sword people. You can carry a gun, you can't carry a sword. You can use yur empty hands, you can't use sword. Why train in sword?

(I will now sit back and await the results of the above trolling post.)

• Like Like x 1