How long to Black Belt?

How Long to reach Black Belt in your style?

• less than 2 years

• 2 to 2yrs 6mnths

• 2yrs 6mnths to 3yrs

• 3yrs to 3yrs 6mnths

• 3yrs 6mnths to 4yrs

• 4yrs to 4yrs 6mnths

• more than 4yrs 6mnths

Results are only viewable after voting.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Depended on the system, usually 4 years. In one-10 years. In another, until we reached 18.

Are you just describing general information? Or do you have multiple black belts? In what? TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted more than 4 yrs. basically you never asked for what type of Art. They all have giudelines but that just it giudelines nobody can predict how long, some if they train 6 hours day sevem days a week they will get there faster than someone that trains 1 hour aday twice a week.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Are you just describing general information? Or do you have multiple black belts? In what? TW
No-Not general. Yes-multiple black belts. And some didn't not even have a ranking system.

OP
R

rainbows

By the time I grade for black belt (in 5 weeks time :)), I'll have been just under 3 years in TKD. It's quite quick compared to other styles (and actually quicker than my club's average of 4 years), the other girl I'm grading for BB with has a black belt in shotokan and that took her 9 1/2 years to get. My kenpo junior black belt took 5 1/2 years to get.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
rainbows said:
By the time I grade for black belt (in 5 weeks time :)), I'll have been just under 3 years in TKD. It's quite quick compared to other styles (and actually quicker than my club's average of 4 years), the other girl I'm grading for BB with has a black belt in shotokan and that took her 9 1/2 years to get. My kenpo junior black belt took 5 1/2 years to get.

You already had basic training so that is probably why your TKD training time was shorter. Most of the first and second year is largely conditioning.

Five weeks to your test! I wish you luck but you probably don't need it as your instructor already knows you are ready. Happy training then and let us know how it went! TW

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
thepanjr said:
i think 7 years is the tops

Is tops for what art? What art are you doing? Did you take seven years to get black belt? That is what the question is...how long (did you take) to get black belt. It wasn't a guess. :) TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it took me 12 years, Istarted out in Okinawa Karate with my father age of 4 that I can remember and he tested me on my 16th b-day, in TKD it took a litle over three years 6 day's a week, 4 hrs. a day.

OP
S

safeeagle

I Read A Book On Chuck Norris Some Years Ago. It Said He Got His Black In Eight Months. Just Thought I Would Put That Out There

OP
D

Drifter

Some people move faster than others, and don't need to stay at a level very long because they 'get it'. Other people slack off and stay where they are. I voted 2 years to 2 and a half years, at least for people who are determined. For those who aren't, I would say never.

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Personally I dont put a time frame on someone. I think if you worry about time or keep one eye on the clock it will take you longer. I dont promote until I know in my heart of hearts the person is ready, capable and deserving of the rank.

A year, two, three, ten. I simply dont know. I know Ive never had anyone attain black belt in my school in less than 5 years. Who knows maybe one day.

Thanks

San

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have kids in my school that are green belts and have been training for 6 years. I also have a brown belt at my club that has been training just three years.

I have promoted two students to black belt of which it took them 8 years, and will have a student go for black belt after just 3 years of training.

The point is that every student is unique. Some practice A LOT, others very little. Some attend classes 3+ times per week, others only once per week. Some take private lessons to enhance their abilities and comprehension of the material, others never do.

How long does it take the average student to get to black belt? Average students don't get black belts.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
How long does it take the average student to get to black belt? Average students don't get black belts.
Jamie Seabrook
I like this, but the thread title didnt mention the word "average". :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I like this, but the thread title didnt mention the word "average". :)
I would understand more about your opinion if you would contribute more than one vague line to the conversation.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drunken Master said:
How long does it take to achieve a black belt in your system.
As long as it takes to learn the required material and be able to show reasonable skill and knowledge with same (1st Degree Black {EPAK}).

:asian:

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I would understand more about your opinion if you would contribute more than one vague line to the conversation.
I like the use of:

Having meaning for acquiring a goal or excellence.

With this, however, if someone is striving for that goal, then they are past the average in they keep their focus.

But, given that martial art styles/systems are different, the criteria or length of study per time will also differ.

So, more time is not always best. or less time is not always worse. Could it be that it depends on the person's abilites or having prior training somewhere else be also considered?

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At our school, it seems to take 6-8 years, depending on the person. Kids take longer, just because their kids and for the most part don't have the emotional, or mental maturity yet that is considered necessary for a BB.

OP

1redcat

I'm not really sure how long it takes at my school - I think the minimum, assuming a very ambitious and dedicated student, is in the 4 - 4.5 year range (based on what I've been told), so that's what I picked. In reality, I think it's more like five years. The pending brown belts have been in the school for about three years, and we have three levels of brown belt, I think, before shodan. All distant future to me.

Latest Discussions