How long to Black Belt?

How Long to reach Black Belt in your style?

• less than 2 years

• 2 to 2yrs 6mnths

• 2yrs 6mnths to 3yrs

• 3yrs to 3yrs 6mnths

• 3yrs 6mnths to 4yrs

• 4yrs to 4yrs 6mnths

• more than 4yrs 6mnths

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
It is a question of partisanship. The black belt score and hence Dan rank is harder to justify if the student is passed by his own Instructor. It is better if the student is passed or failed by judges in the student's organization who don't care if the student passes or not. They are non-partisan.
I like this. This adds credibility to the system. I'm all about integrity when it comes to promotion. In this way, the student who researches can feel confident they are learning from one who is qualified to teach.

As for my system, I have no idea how long it will take me. I haven't asked. We don't wear belts, though, so I'll equate it with instructorship. If I had to posit, I would guess at least 5-6 years. But that's just a guess folks.

Humbly,

OP
F

FasterthanDeath

Well we never wore belts, and still dont. The only time I knew what rank I was is when I overheard my teacher talking to one of his relatives. But I think it would take 4-6 years to recieve a black belt in the art. Now alot of these fast food arts you can get one as long as you can prove you know the knowledge and perform the techniques. But those are easily figured out. Usually those arts whose rank takes time and effort have an older atmosphere to it. Usually the students range from 13yrs and up. I am not saying that it has to be like this, its just most of those I have seen are like this.

OP
R

ronnie_au

Well I'm still new to martial arts (Tae Kwon Do), but from talking to people in my class it looks like it takes at least 5 years for a black belt. I think the kids classes get pushed along a little faster though to keep them interested, but I could be wrong. I know there are some people who have taken between 8 and 9 years.

And I just wanted to post my opinion about some things that I've read in regards to time limits and age requirements for belts. I think they are both there for a reason, and a good one. Some people may grasp the physical techniques very quickly but the mental aspect takes time for most everyone I think. I honestly don't see a problem with juniour black belts. The have shown there physical proficiency, but we make that juniour black belt-black belt destinction for a reason. Kids simply do not have the emotional discipline or maturity to be considered a full black belt. Just my opinion though. Like I said, I'm only new at this so I could be way off base.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think there has to be a middle ground. Obviously promoting someone to 1st Dan in 6 months or a year would be very suspicious. However, the other extreme, having someone wait 10 years to test 1st Dan is a problem as well. Black belt is just indicative of mastering the basics, and it shouldn't take 10 years to do this. Even 6-7 years is a bit much. Most students, American or otherwise, just won't wait that long. Now you can say "Well it weeds out the less dedicated students." But do you really want your class to consist of 2-3 really dedicated students who don't mind waiting 10 years?
I think an average of about 2-3 years is best. It gives you time to establish their basics, which is all 1st Dan really is, without having to deal with students wondering why they have been practicing for 8 years and are still color belts.
Personally, Instructors who make students wait 10 years for 1st Dan strike me as just stringing them along. Kind of like chiropractors who insist patients keep coming back for years of treatments that are not necessary.

OP
T

TIGER DRAGON FIGHT

it took me 5years to obtain my rank of black, it was definately well worth the wait. alot of repitition and practice.:jedi1:

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In our Dojo we grade for our belt ranks every six months. If we are not ready to grade than we have to wait until the next grading. If you were to grade every six months in the style of MA that I train in, you would be a black belt in approx 4 years. But generally alot of people take alot longer than 4 years.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the average for my taekwondo school is between 3-5 years...i spent 3 years in taekwondo when i was younger and had to take a 6 year "break" when my instructor had to stop teaching (couldn't afford the 90 mile round trip to come to my town)....when i started up again, i did so as a white belt...my body wasn't worth much when it came to techniques but my mind was still sharp...i alredy knew what all the kicks and techniques were...i just couldn't do them that well anymore...due to this...i've progressed much quicker than normal...and will be testing for my black belt in december...which comes to a little over 2 and half years...but i guess mine was a "special" situation due to my former training(it all came from the same school, same instructors...)

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

The question is not an easy one to answer because of all the possible variables that need to be taken into consideration.

You have the case where you have a new student that is devoted and studies hard.
Then you also can have a MA of another flavor come to your style who is able to adapt his understanding of his style into yours and do the moves required. Should he be peanalized by waiting a perscribed time to make his black belt in your style or be ready to test when his ability is up to the level ?

I think that it varies from person to person.

There should not be a time limit on it. I dont think they should get it in a day, a week or a month. But to put a limit like "black belt in 3 years" cheapens it. I think there should be an alloted time for a student to grasp the concepts, ideas and abilties required for that level then to test. But, i can not say what that time would be because we are all different and pick up things in a different way.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I study traditional TKD- shotokan karate/ cdk based, and it takes roughly 4 years to advance to black belt. Sometimes a little shorter/ longer if you transfer from another style, and it also depends on if you attend regularly, techniques and forms look sharp, etc.

OP
S

SMP

I am speaking for my school not my style - The least amount of time would be about 2-1/2 years but usually much much more.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drunken Master said:
Some styles appear to promote students very quickly.

So I just wanted to find out what style you are practising and how long it takes to achieve a black belt.

How long to:

Recieve a black belt?
Usually 2-4 years, I think.

EARN/DESERVE a Black Belt?
a Life-time! (But well worth the effort)

Your Brother
John

OP
T

TerryC

I recieved my plain blackbelt in 22 months. However, I was fortunate enough at the time to be in a situation where I could workout in the dojo anytime I wished, 24-7, and I usually did work out or have a private lesson 1 - 2 hours a day 7 days a week for almost 10 years. My instructor had no set testing dates or cycles....when he thought you were ready, he called the organization's officers and senior members together and they tested you. The charge for testing was $15 per belt rank, and we only had white, green, brown, and ten degrees of black. Incidentally, the dojo fee was $15 a month...no limit on how much you were at the dojo. Usually you could get instruction from the master any time you showed up as he lived above the dojo.

This was in the 70's and 80's in the Philippines.

OP
K

KenpoNoChikara

My dojo teaches Ed Parker's Kenpo, and it takes 4-6 years on average to reach black

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't rally care about my belt rank...all i want is to be better and if it requires me to change he color of my belt ever so often i will do it...i am a yellow belt but I whould wear my white belt with honor and pride cause i know my skill level...i will always consider myself a begginner.....the day you think you are the best is the day your skil starts to decline.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
there is no black belt in our style. just the founder/master instructor is black. we don't really worry about that in our school. the only person that was offered the black belt test turned it down because he felt he wasn't ready.

peace

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Basically the promotional requirements between the two major US Judo organizations are more or less equivalent;

minimum time in grade requirements for USJA:

6th kyu yellow belt 3-4 months
5th kyu orange belt 4-5 months
4th kyu green belt 5-7 months
3rd kyu brown belt 6-9 months
2nd kyu brown belt 8-12 months
1st kyu brown belt 8-12 months
shodan black belt 1-2 years

a minimum of 4 years in Judo to receive 1st degree black belt.

generally in the United States, it averages between 4-7 years to earn your shodan (1st degree black belt).

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on the person, like someone said earlier (forgive me for not remembering). Like me, if I stayed in TSD, I would have tested for BB in 4 years. But do to moving, and a few injuries, 4 years later, I'm only a red belt (in TKD). I could test for high red in November, but do to not training much over the summer and family issues, I'm not.

I am not in a rush. I am "picky" also. I won't test if I feel I'm not ready. But then again, I don't take it to extremes either. I won't wait 10 years for 1st dan, but I'd like to earn it when I do test for BB.

I don't know if I actually answered the question in this thread (I didn't go through the whole thing). On average, it takes about 3 to 4 years to get to BB in my dojang. My old dojang was 4 and above. There are a couple that made it in 2 and 1/2 years, but that rare.

Latest Discussions