How long to Black Belt?

How Long to reach Black Belt in your style?

• less than 2 years

• 2 to 2yrs 6mnths

• 2yrs 6mnths to 3yrs

• 3yrs to 3yrs 6mnths

• 3yrs 6mnths to 4yrs

• 4yrs to 4yrs 6mnths

• more than 4yrs 6mnths

Results are only viewable after voting.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
the averidge seems to be about 7 years or a bit longer.. there are 22 kata and usually a few from goju you get taught as well.. and weapons kata.. at least 4 or more.. and you have to have all of them in full polish too.. so some take 8 years some take 5.8 or so.. but most take from almost 7 years to 7 years really. a lot to learn and make your own in the system.. i like it as its a great system.. I am a Shobayashi Shorin Ryu student

AmericanTangSooDo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my style American Tang Soo Do (Chuck Norris system pre-Chun Kuk Do) it varies depending on the school/organization. At the school I trained at it took a minimum of 5 years. While at the schools of other former Norris black belts and their black belts it takes between 3 and 3 and a half years.

Unfortunately many of these schools have elementary school aged black belts.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taekwondo, 3 years to 1st dan

Really must of mine take 4-5 years, maybe I am to picking.
icon10.gif

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting results indeed.. breaking them down a bit we currently have

1 in 8 says it takes 3 yrs or less (12,5%)
1 in 3 says it takes more than 3 yrs but less than 5 yrs (35%)
1 in 2 says it takes 5 yrs or more (52,5%)

Seems belt factories are less common than I thought.. or perhaps we don`t get so many from that crowd here.

Btw we should make another poll with alternatives from 5 to 10 years as well.

iwingchun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do the wing chun system and it takes 5 years to achieve a black belt!

OP
F

foggymorning162

I answered for myself but it really varies I got mine in 3 1/2 my son has been training 5 and still doesn't have it. But on average an adult who trains regularly, learns the material, and gives back to the school is going to be about 3 1/2 to 4 kids might be a little longer.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach a varied style of tae kwon do. It roughly takes about 2 years to reach black belt. The reason being is their are some vary dedicated individuals out there and they shouldn't be held back. I let them develop their skills with as much knowledge as possible.

white to yellow 2 months
yellow to orange 2 months
orange to green 2 months
green to blue 2 months
blue to purple 2 months
purple to red 4 months
red to brown 4 months
brown to dan black 6 months

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a commercial setting you need a gauge, at lease 4 years. On a personal note, that person must possess a well rounded package.

Geeba12

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Inazuma Te Ryu Ju Jutsu Remmei: minimum 3 years. Maximum, a life time.
This question is like asking a person when they will "master" playing a guitar. Who could possibly gauge that?
All Martial Art ranks are based on performance, NOT time in grade.
Those who have pioneered the Arts into the 20th century (Funokoshi, Ueshiba Sensei etc), would be "turning over in their graves" with a question like this.
No disrespect intended with the person who posted this topic.

Regards,
SJG

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inazuma Te Ryu Ju Jutsu Remmei: minimum 3 years. Maximum, a life time.
This question is like asking a person when they will "master" playing a guitar. Who could possibly gauge that?
All Martial Art ranks are based on performance, NOT time in grade.
Those who have pioneered the Arts into the 20th century (Funokoshi, Ueshiba Sensei etc), would be "turning over in their graves" with a question like this.
No disrespect intended with the person who posted this topic.

Regards,
SJG

We have no way of knowing that, our times are different from theirs, they were innovators in their times, they understood that time doesn't stand still so who knows how they'd feel about things?
I doubt that wanting to make money from martial arts and cutting corners in teaching is a new thing, I imagine human nature being what it is it was around in their time too. They may not have approved but they would have known this happens.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do have class hour requirements for someone to be eligible to take their rank tests. However, the class hour requirements are but a single prerequisite. Even if they have the appropriate number of hours, you still have to look at their proficiency, their attitude, etc., and see if they are truly ready to take the exam.

The way I see it, if someone can demonstrate the appropriate level of proficiency in the art, and if they can demonstrate that they also meet the physical requirements, then I have no problems with promoting someone to Shodan in a shorter time than the norm.

If there's nothing to be gained by keeping such folks at the ikkyu rank, then why keep them there? If someone has already demonstrated proficiency, has the required number of hours, and has a good attitude, then I'll be more than happy to test them, even if they've only had two years of experience.

On the other hand, if someone has a less than ideal attitude, a less than ideal work ethic, etc., then they won't be taking the exam, until things shape up. Sometimes, this means that it takes additional years.

Then, you have students who learn things more slowly than others. There's nothing wrong with their attitudes; it's just that things simply might not come to them as quickly as it does with your more talented students. They may take 5 or 6 years to get their black belt when others take 3.

I don't see that as a problem, since they're still learning the same matierial, and gaining the same proficiencies. In the end, the finished product is what counts, and if it looks good, then the length of time isn't much of an issue.

Now, all of statements that I have written in this post, are based on the system in which I train and teach. In our system, getting the black belt simply means that you have a solid command of the fundamentals, and have demonstrated such proficiency. In this case, you're ready to take on the more advanced training.

Having a yudansha ranking in our system does not confer any type of instructor status. That's something different...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A lot really depends upon the style and curriculum. I practice Kukkiwon Taekwondo, and the average is about two years to either first dan or first poom. To be fair, KKW curriculum isn't so comprehensive that two years would be unreasonable, assuming that the student is regular in class and practices regularly outside of class.

Daniel

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Took me almost 6 years for my chodan in an ITF school. It took me another 4 years after that for my edan. Currently working on my edan in Chung Do Kwan.

Latest Discussions