How has training changed your child?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay bare with me if there is a thread around here about this..I tried searching and couldn't find one.

I was just wondering if any other parents saw significant changes in their children, either physically or otherwise since training in MA.

Both my daughters train in MMA. I feel that because of their training they are more direct when confronted at with any problems. They are more confident in themselves. They have become physically stronger. Both my daughters also shoot in air rifle competitions, my oldest one uses her training to help strengthen her body so she tires less during matches.

Please give me your thoughts. Thank you

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial arts have helped my entire family. My husband isn't into MA (although he has had a year's worth already several years ago), but my sons and I are currently into American Kenpo. My daughters are too young (four and two), so when they get old enough and want to join, they may.

The greatest impact is with my husband and oldest son. They used to get into terrible physical fights. Since my two sons took up kenpo, he (oldest son) became more disciplined, obedient, and respectful. [Since he's still a kid, he can be stubborn at times anyway.] Because of this change with him, my husband is more calm and less prone to get angry. I can say that martial arts have increased harmony within my family.

- Ceicei

G

Gary5000

I am Ceicei's son and currently enjoying my training.:asian:

S

Scout_379

can the children answer?:)

before I took up the martial arts, I was a pretty depressed kid. Head down, slouching posture, low physical ability, few friends(not many good), sleepless nights, below average grades, and self esteem so bad that my parents considered therapy.

Through the last 8 years in karate I have become physiscally and mentally strong and well balanced. I have many friends and make them easily now. my head is up and eyes forward. Chest out and standing tall. Just finished my grade 11 year with straight A's (though not always evident in my spelling:uhyeah: ), and the best distance runner in my grade. My will is strong, and my mind and body are sharper because of the martial arts.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Scout_379 said:

before I took up the martial arts, I was a pretty depressed kid. Head down, slouching posture, low physical ability, few friends(not many good), sleepless nights, below average grades, and self esteem so bad that my parents considered therapy.

Through the last 8 years in karate I have become physiscally and mentally strong and well balanced. I have many friends and make them easily now. my head is up and eyes forward. Chest out and standing tall. Just finished my grade 11 year with straight A's (though not always evident in my spelling:uhyeah: ), and the best distance runner in my grade. My will is strong, and my mind and body are sharper because of the martial arts.
:asian: your post has touched my heart.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My son has an attention problem, no focus etc etc - (Male syndrome lol). MMA has taught him alot of respect and how to focus. This has helped him in all aspects of his life, including other sports that he has participated in. Have definately seen a change in him. If I had known MMA would help him in this regard I would have enrolled him alot earlier. He thinks his instructor is just the BEEZ NEEZ!!!!!! His instructor is definately a good role model. Kids need a good role model in their lives to look up to and want to be(other than ourselves).

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scout_379 said:

Very well written, thanks for shearing your experiences.

One thing I have seen (although I am not a parent) with the Kids at our Dojo, when it comes to getting our cert's after a Grading the kids are so keen to get on stage in front of a couple of hundred people and thank their families/friends/Instructors for supporting them in there training. And these are young kids 8 - 10 yrs old. I would have NEVER talked on stage when I was a kid, what amazing confidence these kids have.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:
My son has an attention problem, no focus etc etc - (Male syndrome lol). MMA has taught him alot of respect and how to focus. This has helped him in all aspects of his life, including other sports that he has participated in. Have definately seen a change in him. If I had known MMA would help him in this regard I would have enrolled him alot earlier. He thinks his instructor is just the BEEZ NEEZ!!!!!! His instructor is definately a good role model. Kids need a good role model in their lives to look up to and want to be(other than ourselves).
We have a couple of little guys like this at our school. I find our instructors to have incredibly patience and an uncanny knack at getting the kids to focus on the task at hand while still making it a fun and enjoyable atmosphere for the kids to learn in.

I so very agree with your point about our children needing good role models besides ourselves. I try hard to surround my kids with good honest people that love and care for them and are genuinely concerned with their well being. There is a lot to be said about a "community" raising a child. My youngest daughter is very attached to her instructor and talks about him constantly at home.

G

Gary5000

I agree with Nalia, one of the important things are to keep it fun for the children.

Personaly I am one of those children. I'm proud to be one of the 9 yr. olds that are enjoying Karate.

I'm in KENPO.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gary5000 said:
I agree with Nalia, one of the important things are to keep it fun for the children.

Personaly I am one of those children. I'm proud to be one of the 9 yr. olds that are enjoying Karate.

I'm in KENPO.
I think it is good to have an Instructor that can relate to the kids and bridge the age gap.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
I think it is good to have an Instructor that can relate to the kids and bridge the age gap.
LOL! Sarah...

Sometimes I have trouble telling them apart! :rolleyes: :idunno: :boing2:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Scout_379 said:

He'd better be allowed to... he's a green belt (working on his brown) and can whup serious butt... or so his instructors tell me... :D

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nalia said:
LOL! Sarah...

Sometimes I have trouble telling them apart! :rolleyes: :idunno: :boing2:
I know what you mean, our instructor can be playing games with the kids at the end of a class and doing handstands and showing off, then next thing you know he's giving us a run for our money with the hardest training you can imagine.

Its good for the kids to like them so much, my friend’s son is a big fan of our instructor, but so am I.

G

Gary5000

Of course you are (Not to be rude or anything) but,
it's good to like your instructor.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gary5000 said:
Of course you are (Not to be rude or anything) but,
it's good to like your instructor.
I know your not being rude LOL
I think it is one thing to like your instructor, but when you have respect, admiration, inspiration, that is when they become so much more than just an instructor, that is when they become role model.

G

Gary5000

I know. A role model is a VERY important thing. Expecialy children like me.

P

pakua

Very difficult for me to say- both my kids train, but I can't say whether any of their behaviours or attitudes are from MA or just from growing up!

They're certainly both keen on their MA. Belonging to a kata only style, they're not stressed by combat and there are no competitions either. Only competition is with themselves come grading time.

My son's 11, and has been training for 5 years; daughter is 8 and has been going for about 18 months.

They enjoy the cameradie in the dojo, and Sensei is a whiz with the kids. Most kids love his teaching style- he's quite jokey and low-key, at the same time instilling the discipline of MA. They respect him hugely (and his wife and kids who all of whom are dans and instruct from time to time), and if I hear "Well Sensei said..." then it's gotta be true! (He's also my Sifu in Tai Chi.)

I hope they never lose sight of it being fun.

Latest Discussions