How has training changed your child?

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
pakua said:
Very difficult for me to say- both my kids train, but I can't say whether any of their behaviours or attitudes are from MA or just from growing up!
I have a similar situation. Both my kids have been training so long it's hard to separate training effect from maturation. But I think the major effect from MA is in attitude and their sense of ethics.

My son was being badgered by a kid in his religious school class. When I asked why he didn't defend himself, he told me, "Because he's obviously got ADD and has a problem. I wouldn't hit him back unless my life was in danger." My son was only about 8 at the time.

My daughter tries to keep a "black belt" attitude in whatever she attempts. She'll persist because she knows she can. As she puts it, "I'm a martial artist. It's not what I do...it's what I am."

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the mothers in my class told me specifically that because of Tae Kwon Do, her son has lost much of the anger, bitterness, and resentment he carried around. His parents are divorced, and that can very hard on a kid. His whole attitude had changed, although he still has a ways to go. The important thing is, as a minority teenage male, he has an Instructor who cares about him and pushes him to succeed.
The grandmother of one of my female students has commented that Tae Kwon Do practice has instilled a sense of pride and dignity in her granddaughter. Unfortunately, black female teenagers are often beaten down and denigrated by black males in this country who can't deal with them. It's hard to beat someone down when they kick your butt every night in class.
Speaking from personal experience, I was a teenager with VERY low self esteem and anger issues. Tae Kwon Do literally got me where I am today. Can't imagine where I'd be without it. When life just sucked and I was pissed at the world, I'd go to Tae Kwon Do where I was somebody and work out my aggressions.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We started our children in Taekwondo when my oldest girl was 9 and my son was 7. They are practically grown now, my daughter 20 and getting into Kung Fu, but got nearly to 2nd dan in TKD before she left for college.
My son, 17, has his black belt 1st Dan too. I have to credit TKD in keepiing them grounded, helping build their esteem, empowering them to bullies (although no more confrontations happened), giving my daughter something finally that she finished (surprisingly to Mom), and giving them a base for their identity for which to build on. From TKD, they realized they really could do anything that they set out to do. And I think it has instilled a sense that physical fitness should be a part of their lives and hopefully for both, martial arts in some form.

PS. Not to mention, I have no doubt they can defend themselves. TW

Latest Discussions