Double Promotions

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering what peoples feelings were on double promoting in martial arts...The reason I bring this up is that I was recently double promoted to 1st gup(1st kyu) in taekwondo, and it made me a little uncomfortable...to set some things straight my gym is not a belt factory and double promotions are extremely rare(i only know of one other person from my club to recieve one)....i felt it was quite a vote of confidence from the head instructor...but i feel that there should be time spent improving in rank...i took the double promotion so the incident in question is done with...but i would like to hear other peoples feelings on this subject...

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The instructor is there as a life guide. His/her job is to make sure his/her students are doing the techniques properly, making sure there mental focus is correct, and the attitude is displayed. IMO, if your instructor promoted you, it means He/she thinks you are ready, and you probably shouldnt question it. just my opinion, though.

good luck on your new promotion...
K Elliott

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We occasionally allow this if a student misses a grading through illness or being on holiday etc., but we don't let people double grade if only a normal period of time has passed. If you concentrate too hard on the destination, you miss the fun of the journey right? :)

Ian.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
bignick said:
I was wondering what peoples feelings were on double promoting in martial arts...The reason I bring this up is that I was recently double promoted to 1st gup(1st kyu) in taekwondo, and it made me a little uncomfortable...to set some things straight my gym is not a belt factory and double promotions are extremely rare(i only know of one other person from my club to recieve one)....i felt it was quite a vote of confidence from the head instructor...but i feel that there should be time spent improving in rank...i took the double promotion so the incident in question is done with...but i would like to hear other peoples feelings on this subject...
If you're talking about skipping rank, it's not uncommon. Some people "mature" in the arts faster than others. Some already have many years in the arts.

I had nearly a decade in before training under my brother-in-law and I started over at white belt. I currently have a few instructors who I haven't tested yet with. When I do ( depending on the system) it will be for Shodan. One will test (on first test) no higher than San Kyu, which is reasonable and I've actually adopted that policy.

I don't know you're situation or experience but I may not evaluate someone for close to a year. If they come to me with experience, a San Kyu is quite possible. :asian:

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
Congrates on your Promotion. Your Instructor obviously thinks you are deserving.

Our Dojo is like yours, we only have double grading on very rear occasions, the only ones I know of are two young guys that spent every spear moment at the Dojo and their improvement over their first year was astonishing, they are very deserving of there current rank.

However I do know of Clubs that grade straight to Green Tip afer a couple of months, it has taken me a year to get to Green Tip and I wouldnt wont it any other way.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my school, TKD, WTF style, we would have had to do high blue (red belt form not taught yet), plus show good flexibility--high kicks, good control, balance, show 3 self defense forms, do jump back kick through 2, and jump spin heel one hand hold, plus sparring. Every school is different though. My master rarely double promoted except for the lower yellow-green belts. Not that it isn't possible. But at that point, there really is no hurry, it is about the journey and definitely is not a race. Your next belt would be recommended black belt in our school and you would have had to wait six months to test for it from 1st Gup. Alot of time to "make up" in performance in class to the instructor if you missed anything in your test like the red belt form and self defense. TW

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually would be Honored if my instructor gave my a higher rank than I thought I deserved, or skipped a rank. It means that someone that knows what they are doing, and has been there before, trust you, and respects you enough to give you a rank that wasnt exactly next..lol.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the good replies...I completely agree...that the journey is the most important...which is why the double promotion made a bit uncomfortable...and yes...my next test is for black belt...and will be in december if i choose to test...I really have no problems sitting at a rank, as long as i feel i'm still learning and progressing, I do all my martial arts through my college (during the school year, in the summer i go to the main dojo/dojangs)...i practice taekwondo and judo/jujitsu...I've been doing judo for almost two years...i tested for 6th kyu within four months...and have been there ever since...part of it is the way the instructor feels about promoting and the fact that students (myself included) usually end up focusing more on jujitsu than judo...when you get a rank from him...you know you've earned it and it makes it all the more important....there are students at our other judo dojo that out rank me by 2 or 3 ranks...but during randori they can't touch me...not that i'm anything special...but i've spent a more time practicing and studying the art, regardless of the rank...i think my friend summed it up best when we were talking about it and he said..."As long as i'm training, and I feel that i'm learning and improving...rank really doesnt' matter..." and that sums up my philosophy as well...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
You really are dedicated to the martial arts. Sounds like you did earn that rank. TW

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi there

I was double graded in the Brown ranks and understand exactly how you feel
It is a huge honour to know that Your Instructors feel you are worthy.

On the other hand yes I too felt uncomfortable as there was someone going for his last tab at the same time and had done all the work (techniques) for six months and here I was promoted to the same rank without all of the knowlege as I only knew half.

There is no rush to get anywhere and the journey should be enjoyed. After having been double graded in Kenpo ( as our gradings consit of having to know certain techniques for each tab/belt) I found myself later on having to go back and learn those moves that I didnt actually do otherwise there would have been a gap in what techniques I should know at that level.

I enjoyed knowing that my Instructors felt I was doing OK as they too do not double promote very often especially once you get into the higher ranks, they are also not known for dishing out complements all over the place.

D

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If the student is learning faster than the tests can come, it is possible that they may be taught the next ranks information and then tested on both ranks info./techs. and then promoted accordingly. Usually this only happens bbecause of prior training. One student we had was in class with 4 blackbelts and some high ranking color belts for his first years of training, he skipped one rank because he learned quickly with high quality because of the high ranking pupils.

basically, I would be very hesitant to skip a rank so close to black belt but, it is your instructors call. You will still progress the same as if you had not skipped a rank. Maybe a little faster.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations on your double grading you obviously were deserving. Some people have a natural knack of this and you must be one of those ones.
double gradings are pretty rare at our Dojo. We had two guys double grade at the early ranks, but obviously as you get higher it gets harder. Congratulations again!!!!
:partyon:

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
If you know all the stuff well to make both ranks I dont see a problem, but you would have to earn it. But if you did a good job and gave 110%, and know everything your supposed to, then its ok IMO. Some people learn quicker and have more natural abillity, and should be properly respected and awarded something for it.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In our school it's almost standard practice. I went straight to fifth kyu green from white after about a year. One chap went straight to first kyu brown from white after about a year. He was exceptional though, one of the best my instructor had seen in 70 years of judo. It just made it less embarrassing to black belts of 5 years when they were being thrown by a brown belt.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did it twice in my martial arts career, once in Tae Kwan Do and once in Kenpo.
#1: It's your instructors decision and prerogative to give whatever they feel is due you. So relax and trust.
#2: You aren't there FOR the belt right? You are a martial artist, you were before these two belts and you will be years after. So in the big scope of things, what does this matter? It doesn't. So relax and trust and move forward.
#3: Rank has a great deal to do with state of mind: attitude, confidence, maturity, character so get determined...focus your intent, double your efforts in the school.......relax, trust and move forward.

Just some thoughts bro.

Your Brother
John

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really don't agree with them. No matter how talented a student is, there is a time frame that should be adhered to in the interests of fairness to other students and letting the student mature in technique and attitude. One of my friends apparently was double promoted as a color belt and never let anyone forget it. Great example right there of why NOT to use them.

I remember reading years ago of Karate fighter Joe Lewis getting black belt in 6 months. I always thought that was a little fishy. How do you get black belt in 6 months, no matter how good you supposedly are?

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
My only double promotion was in tkd, and it was from white to orange. I was responsible for the material at yellow, however, and was able to demonstrate it proficiently at my next test. Part of the reason for the double promotion was my past experience in ma. I didn't mind it at the time, and, since I'm not in the art at the moment, it really doesn't matter within the grand scheme of things. However, I would NOT want a double promotion in kenpo. Too much material to know and know well because the style of kenpo we're taught builds upon itself in the techs (extensions) and forms.

Congratulations and best wishes on YOUR promotion, Biggie! :asian: KT

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I moved and started TKD, I was promoted quicly up to green (almost, I pulled my hammy before the test. I had to put it off for another 6 weeks). I was a 5th gup in TSD before that, so the TKD instructor, eventhough I started at white belt again, put my past MA into account. I didn't mind at the time. Would I do it again? No. Because I had to learn new forms, one steps, ect. It was nerve racking LOL.

S

sifu nick

I've never been double promoted or even heard of it til now. It does not happen at my school.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The few times I have wirnessed a double promotion i has been made very clear by the instructor that before the next test the student must learn and be proficient for the material that was skipped.

Latest Discussions