How Effective Is Bodybuilding For Self Defence?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not every person who drinks wants to get into a fight. And not every person who is drunk and fights did so consensually. And, even if it is consensual, I don't think it's any less "self defense" than a cop getting into a fight (which many have stated is somehow self defense).

It's not the same as being mugged or being raped, but I don't get the sense that's what you have in mind.
I haven't heard a cogent argument that anything consensual is self-defense (though what starts as consensual can morph into a self-defense situation). What I have heard (in a much earlier thread) is some reasonable argument that a) some of what police do is defend themselves when they are attacked, and b) some of what they do, while not actually self-defense, is transferable to self-defense application.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. It's very subjective, and opportunistic.
I don't know anyone who would argue that attacking someone who is minding their own business is self-defense. Nor that fighting in a ring is self-defense. Those are fairly universally accepted.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Self defense is a legal term. That is true, and yet it is used to justify all kinds of whackadoo things in martial arts training.
I don't know anyone who would argue that attacking someone who is minding their own business is self-defense. Nor that fighting in a ring is self-defense. Those are fairly universally accepted.
True, but training to fight in a ring can be the most effective self defense training, depending entirely on how one defines self defense in that discussion.

To be clear, my point isn't that people are wrong or right in this. Only that the term is always defined opportunistically, and generally to play to the relative strengths of whatever training one does, as I did above. It's a general, legal term that describes a context but not technique. But it is used as an abstract to justify competing or not competing, maiming (or at least pretending to maim), killing (or pretending to kill), running, not running, or anything else.

Around here, it's used to support or dismiss literally any position you don't agree with, and also to sell products.

As an abstract, like afterlife or world peace, it's fine. But if it's used in any other way, it's bunk.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is true, but then I never said they did.

Self defence is legal, consensually agreeing to fight people in the street is illegal.
Depending on where you live, it may or may not be legal.

But more to the point, where intent is being judged, the practical difference between self defense and not self defense could be in how the narrative is framed and whether or not you have a decent lawyer. It could very well have nothing to do with what happened, and could instead hinge on how you describe it

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depending on where you live, it may or may not be legal.

But more to the point, where intent is being judged, the practical difference between self defense and not self defense could be in how the narrative is framed and whether or not you have a decent lawyer. It could very well have nothing to do with what happened, and could instead hinge on how you describe it

Yes, I agree. There is an excellent article in the now sadly defunct Jissen magazine written by a Britsh Policeman and martial artist about what you should/shouldn't do and say, and what your rights are, once the police take you in for questioning.

Geoff Thompson also points out that people are often convicted not on what they do, but on the statement they give because they word things incorrectly, and/or don't know what key phrases they need to make sure they get into their statement.

It's another reason martial artists often make bad self defence instructors. They only give this part of self defence lip service (if they even bother to cover it at all) as they simply have no knowledge of this part of the process.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Self defense is a legal term. That is true, and yet it is used to justify all kinds of whackadoo things in martial arts training.

True, but training to fight in a ring can be the most effective self defense training, depending entirely on how one defines self defense in that discussion.

To be clear, my point isn't that people are wrong or right in this. Only that the term is always defined opportunistically, and generally to play to the relative strengths of whatever training one does, as I did above. It's a general, legal term that describes a context but not technique. But it is used as an abstract to justify competing or not competing, maiming (or at least pretending to maim), killing (or pretending to kill), running, not running, or anything else.

Around here, it's used to support or dismiss literally any position you don't agree with, and also to sell products.

As an abstract, like afterlife or world peace, it's fine. But if it's used in any other way, it's bunk.
There's a difference between self-defense and training for it. I teach for self-defense, but students can only practice for self-defense in class (hopefully, they never actually have a reason to do more). Competition (and the training for it) can be part of someone's training for self-defense, though the competition itself isn't self-defense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There may not be a universal definition, but there are things that are fairly universally understood as not being self-defense.

There are things that are fairly universally understood as deserving of a good pummeling as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is true, but then I never said they did.

Self defence is legal, consensually agreeing to fight people in the street is illegal.

Wait a second. Do you understand consent though.

"hey I want to fight you"

"well i dont want to fight you"(Backs off puts hands up)

"sorry sir but you really don't get a choice here"(advances towards)

"then prepare yourself for fisticuffs" (bashes guy.)

That for example is not a consensual fight. But is very common for a street fight.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What does "self-defense" and "fighting" have in common?
When A's fist meets on B's face, B will feel the same amount of pain.

fist_meets_face.jpg

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What does "self-defense" and "fighting" have in common?
The mind set is complete the opposite. In

- self-defense, you tell your opponent, "If you dare to touch me, I'll sue you."
- fighting, you tell your opponent, "I'll beat you up so badly that even your own mother won't be able to recognize you".

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why does every thread have to go the self defense vs consensual fighting route?

It gets so old.
Its a tactic that pulls the conversation away from fighting skills development. Really its a more subtle form of "that doesn't work on the streets."

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How to make yourself hard to kill, according to a special operator

Across the board, the men and women that pass tough selections and outperform their peers in the military are simply stronger than their peers. I did not say “bigger,” I said stronger. Stronger in all tasks, globally stronger. Can you throw on one-third of your bodyweight in armor and gear and carry your friend 400m at a dead sprint? No? Well then, Turbo, I don’t care what your marathon time is.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"hey I want to fight you"

"well i dont want to fight you"(Backs off puts hands up)

"sorry sir but you really don't get a choice here"(advances towards)

You are on my ignore list for good reason, but occasionally are so idiotic you cannot be ignored. He doesn't have a choice? He is not able to leave, not able to verbally de-escalate, he cannot not legally defend himself by striking pre-emptively and then leaving (which is not the same as offering to fight him, either legally, nor employs the same skill set as fighting). His first and only option as you see it is to invite the guy to participate in a fight.

Yes I understand consent, and the difference between fighting and self defence, and I understand the law as it pertains to civilian self protection from criminal violence. You would do well to do the same. And for the love of god never attempt to teach a self defence course to anyone anywhere. Ever.

Last edited:

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why does every thread have to go the self defense vs consensual fighting route?

It gets so old.
Because they are two different physical skill sets, and many here who only possess fighting skills, and are unwilling or unable to understand the difference between the two, and insist on talking about the two as if they were one and the same.

Maybe when they stop, threads will stop going down this route.