Most Dangerous (as in Useless) Self-Defense Technique Taught?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
What would you say is the most useless technique taught in self-defense classes? One that you know would never work in reality?

For me, I would have to say telling rape victims to scream "fire" instead of "help." It just doesn't make sense to me. If someone screamed "fire," I would not run TOWARD it...I would run FURTHER AWAY from the sound of the voice yelling it, so as to not die a fiery death! That's just my opinion though.

So, how about it?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What would you say is the most useless technique taught in self-defense classes? One that you know would never work in reality?

For me, I would have to say telling rape victims to scream "fire" instead of "help." It just doesn't make sense to me. If someone screamed "fire," I would not run TOWARD it...I would run FURTHER AWAY from the sound of the voice yelling it, so as to not die a fiery death! That's just my opinion though.

So, how about it?
Screaming using the term 'fire' or 'help' isn't a technique however it is a tactic to attempt to draw attention and hopefully assistance. If you teach a specific manner to do a scream; using the diaphragm vs the throat, for example, would be a technique.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Screaming using the term 'fire' or 'help' isn't a technique however it is a tactic to attempt to draw attention and hopefully assistance. If you teach a specific manner to do a scream; using the diaphragm vs the throat, for example, would be a technique.

All right. Well, semantics aside...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't like the self-defense technique of telling women to put their hands up in front of them and yelling at an attacker to stay back or back off, as if they woman is trying to push the guy away. Those commands can be given from a better defensive stance. A woman that makes a fist, stands in a fighting stance, and gives a command to back off but has the look as if she wants to take me on would be more intimidating to me. It would be more intimidating than a woman with outstretched arms like the woman in the middle (black outfit) screaming "Back off" which is exactly what these women are screaming. If we were to cut her out of the picture. I would be able to use her on a "don't be a victim" ad and people would think that she was playing the part of the victim. If women don't know how to fight then they need to be able to sell a bluff and look as if they are more dangerous than what they really are.
hqdefault.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't like the self-defense technique of telling women to put their hands up in front of them and yelling at an attacker to stay back or back off, as if they woman is trying to push the guy away. Those commands can be given from a better defensive stance. A woman that makes a fist, stands in a fighting stance, and gives a command to back off but has the look as if she wants to take me on would be more intimidating to me. It would be more intimidating than a woman with outstretched arms like the woman in the middle (black outfit) screaming "Back off" which is exactly what these women are screaming. If we were to cut her out of the picture. I would be able to use her on a "don't be a victim" ad and people would think that she was playing the part of the victim. If women don't know how to fight then they need to be able to sell a bluff and look as if they are more dangerous than what they really are.
hqdefault.jpg

KenpoBoxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't think anything is useless since you never know what's going to happen. You may think you'll never use something that your being taught but when it comes to it you use it simply out of instinct

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think anything is useless since you never know what's going to happen. You may think you'll never use something that your being taught but when it comes to it you use it simply out of instinct
Well, I think there are some things that are poorly designed. They may look god on paper, but would never work in the real world. This stuff wasn't handed down by the gods, after all. It was all created by people, who are prone to bad judgement at times. Yes, even the revered founders of the systems that we practice.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg
I would take a guess you also think using the isosoles stance is useless as well when shooting a hand gun.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg
I would take a guess you also think using the isosoles stance is useless as well when shooting a hand gun.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2 different things. Do you shoot a hand gun with both palms facing out looking like you are afraid? If you don't know the difference then I can't help you.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It would have to be all techniques (to many to list) that were taught in a self-defense/patient restraint class, taught by a nun, in a catholic hospital I once worked at.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would have to be all techniques (to many to list) that were taught in a self-defense/patient restraint class, taught by a nun, in a catholic hospital I once worked at.
I don't know. Some of the nuns I knew were frightening (Catholic school). I wouldn't want them restraining me if I got out of hand.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double post...move along...nothing to see here

Apparently IE is having a real hard time with MT today
Oh, it's not IE. I'm on Chrome, with the same issue. Clearly MT is having a case of "it's Friday, and my brain is having a weekend".

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't know. Some of the nuns I knew were frightening (Catholic school). I wouldn't want them restraining me if I got out of hand.

You would think that, I know I did, but that myth was dashed completely after that class. Apparently Nuns working at Catholic hospitals are not as skilled, or as terrifying, as Nuns at Catholic schools

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh, it's not IE. I'm on Chrome, with the same issue. Clearly MT is having a case of "it's Friday, and my brain is having a weekend".

Yet another Double post...move along...nothing to see here

Apparently Every Browser is having troubles with MT today

Last edited:

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Care to elaborate?

EPIC DOUBLE POST - second one attached to the wrong post.

We simply have a fundamental disagreement on what self-defense is compared to personal protection is. We also have a fundamental disagreement on the efficacy of "martial arts" training for personal protection.

One can look at the many other posts to see that.

Latest Discussions