• The correct way "Ka-rah-tay"

• I misprononce it because that's how everyone says it here

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm saying nothing about American pronounciations, when I asked on the MMA thread why Americans can't pronounce Bisping people got offended :)

Because it was a gross misrepresentation. I'm a midwestern American, and I have always pronounced it with the "biss" phonetic.

Countries in general pronounce things differntly than the host countries pronunciation anyways (kind of the point of the thread). For example, in America we pronounce many places with American phonetics and not spanish ones. So, if I pronounce the country "Chile" we say "chill-ee" and not "chee-lay" as you would in spanish. Is this wrong? It's a different language. In England, do you stress the spanish pronunciation of all spanish names, or other names that can have more than one pronunciation depending on the host country?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because it was a gross misrepresentation. I'm a midwestern American, and I have always pronounced it with the "biss" phonetic.

Countries in general pronounce things differntly than the host countries pronunciation anyways (kind of the point of the thread). For example, in America we pronounce many places with American phonetics and not spanish ones. So, if I pronounce the country "Chile" we say "chill-ee" and not "chee-lay" as you would in spanish. Is this wrong? It's a different language. In England, do you stress the spanish pronunciation of all spanish names, or other names that can have more than one pronunciation depending on the host country?

Hardly a GROSS misreprentation and something you need to take up with your countymen who were the ones who informed me.

If you speak English why wouldn't you pronounce things in English the way they are supposed to be pronounced, we aren't talking about other languages we are talking about English.