How do you pronounce karate?

• The american incorrect way "kerotty"

• The correct way "Ka-rah-tay"

• I misprononce it because that's how everyone says it here

Results are only viewable after voting.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
So here's the poll. How do you pronounce "karate"?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mostly the correct way, but when talking about it with people who aren't familiar with it, I use the Americanized version.

For example, when I was calling information to find out the phone number of a particular dojo, I asked for the "Kah-rah-Tay" center, and got a "huh?" out of the operator. When I said "Oh, I meant 'Kuh-RAH-tee" she understood.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
*sniffs* "that's right kerotty, made my whole body a weapon"... ~Don Knotts "Ghost & Mr. Chicken"

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I voted for Kah-ray-tey, the Japanese pronunciation. I use the more correct pronounciation just to let people understand the roots of where the art comes from instead of using the water down westernized pronounciation. The difficult thing as an instructor of all age groups I only use the western pronounciation for the little kids exclusively.

OP
punisher73

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know the pronuncition, but find myself mispronouncing it because that's what people know it by and if I say it the other way I get funny looks. In class, I use the correct way to pronounce it though.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mostly the correct way, but when talking about it with people who aren't familiar with it, I use the Americanized version.

For example, when I was calling information to find out the phone number of a particular dojo, I asked for the "Kah-rah-Tay" center, and got a "huh?" out of the operator. When I said "Oh, I meant 'Kuh-RAH-tee" she understood.

This is what I do, but sometimes I will also pronounce it "kerotty" when I am talking fast, because it's just easier for me to say fast :p

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The proper way.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
So far I'm the only one to admit to saying "kerotty" on the poll. :D Yes, I know how to pronounce it correctly, and when I speak with my Japanese relatives, I do so, but when I'm talking with most people in the US I just do the convenient (and understandable) term.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
considering I'm English I of course say it the proper way ;)

hate the American pronunciation

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
But what people can't hear is the rising inflection at the end of the word! Not sure how you indicate that in writing lol !
Hm...

Kurru, t('a'. Like, when You say A, B, C; 'a'. The same way You pronounce the 'a' in aim.), and without a delay between the 't' and the 'a'. The 't' is pronounced the same as the 't' in truck.

Does that help? Because if it doesnt, all I have left to offer You is this Emoticon of someone being kicked in the testicles. :btg:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hm...

Kurru, t('a'. Like, when You say A, B, C; 'a'. The same way You pronounce the 'a' in aim.), and without a delay between the 't' and the 'a'. The 't' is pronounced the same as the 't' in truck.

Does that help? Because if it doesnt, all I have left to offer You is this Emoticon of someone being kicked in the testicles. :btg:

Hey I'm the one who watches the Bondi lifeguard series just for that rising inflection! When someone is floating facedown in the sea and Kerrbox says 'that's not a good look' it sends thrills down my spine! And I'm shouting for Holly Valance in Strictly! Not so sure about Jason Donovan tho.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey I'm the one who watches the Bondi lifeguard series just for that rising inflection! When someone is floating facedown in the sea and Kerrbox says 'that's not a good look' it sends thrills down my spine! And I'm shouting for Holly Valance in Strictly! Not so sure about Jason Donovan tho.
His Surname is Donovan. What more do You need to know?
...Because if You need to know more, I offer You an Emoticon of some dude petting another dudes head. One of them is Red. One of them, is Green.:s444:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His Surname is Donovan. What more do You need to know?
...Because if You need to know more, I offer You an Emoticon of some dude petting another dudes head. One of them is Red. One of them, is Green.:s444:

I'm saying nothing about American pronounciations, when I asked on the MMA thread why Americans can't pronounce Bisping people got offended :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm saying nothing about American pronounciations, when I asked on the MMA thread why Americans can't pronounce Bisping people got offended :)
Im glad We understand each other.

:viking3: ...Viking.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im glad We understand each other.

:viking3: ...Viking.

Which is the point of proper pronounciations! For years I've watched American films and television programmes wondering what a booie was, then I was watching CSI and they hauled one up, it was a bouy! We pronounce it 'boy' so imagine the confusion that would caused in an Anglo/American rescue Op somewhere? Agreed pronounciations are sometimes very important to avoid confusion at vital times.

Latest Discussions