How do you pitch kenpo to those who haven't heard of it?

Discussion in 'Kenpo / Kempo - Technical Discussion' started by shima, Nov 1, 2018.

1. shima

shima K3NPO

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    I'm always curious how others pitch kenpo to those who have never heard of it in our modern day where there are so many styles out there. For me I use my experience in different styles and compare and contrast it to traditional Japanese karate and tae kwon do since I have the personal experience from those. I always emphasize with shaolin kenpo (Castro branch) that our katas are what differentiate it more than anything else to me, because I tell them you'll never learn a kata just for the sake of practicing a series of moves without knowing why. Kenpo is the heart of the "why" question and every kata will be taught with attacks.

What's your pitch to differentiate? I'm just curious :)

2. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

But that’s not exclusive to just Kenpo....many other styles including karate and TKD teach the reasoning behind each move through bunkai.

Or are you saying that every time you do kata it’s with attackers?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master Black Belt

I still have NO idea what kempo/kenpo is.

I am NOT even joking! A martial art yes but I have no clue what it's about or what differentiates it XD

4. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

Depends on the kenpo/kempo. So many different types of arts use it that the different types are signifcantly different. The bunkai thing you referred to, to me, depends more on the school than the style.

As for how i pitch it...i dont. If someone asks, and they know stuff about MA i explain to people its a hybrid self-defense system that has a foundation of karate, with a CMA philosophy, and use of (minimal) judo for self defense. If they ask and they dont know anything about MA, ill say its kickboxing with elbows.

Most of the time though, i dont say anything. I dont even call it kempo, ill just call it karate. People understand that word, and it saves trying to explain it over and over

5. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Senior Master

why do you have to "pitch" what you do??
    get on the floor and train. if your good, your ability will be obvious and your reputation will be known. people today dont give a rats buttocks what style you do.... but you better be good at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

I'm the worst sales pitch for Jow Ga unless you want to actually learn how to use it. lol,, which isn't many people