Horse stance?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not kung fu training but I was interested "stance training in general" since it's basically stance training, just not martial art stance training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not kung fu training but I was interested "stance training in general" since it's basically stance training, just not martial art stance training.

Body mechanics are body mechanics. Stances matter in every physical endeavor for the same reason they matter in MA.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Body mechanics are body mechanics. Stances matter in every physical endeavor for the same reason they matter in MA.
I like that one of the coaches says that his guys train stances every day. I'll probably end up using the same video to stress the importance to some of my students who get lazy about their stances. My lecture about how bad stances will damage the knees doesn't seem work.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that one of the coaches says that his guys train stances every day. I'll probably end up using the same video to stress the importance to some of my students who get lazy about their stances. My lecture about how bad stances will damage the knees doesn't seem work.
I used to think I was lazy about training stances. Then I noticed that every time I'm standing in line, I start practicing them. When I'm on the phone (I have a hard time sitting and talking), I often practice stance transitions. When I'm waiting for students to arrive for class, I often take a few moments to check the balance and mobility in my stances.

Turns out I'm not lazy in my stance training. I'm just not willing to pay attention to how often I do it.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
View attachment 20314

So this was the pic that popped up with the description on Google. I feel stupid (hopefully you all don't think I'm lazy for complaining!) but in our club we don't call it horse stance nor do we stretch with it. Maybe this picture is an extreme version of it?

Reminds me of the movie "Forbidden Kingdom" with Jet Li and Jackie Chan. They argue about the training and Jet Li tells him that the horse stance like that is only good for going to the bathroom.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- My teacher's teacher could finish his dinner while sitting in a horse stance.
- My teacher could finish Beijing opera while sitting in a horse stance.
- I can finish a beer while sitting in a horse stance.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- My teacher's teacher could finish his dinner while sitting in a horse stance.
- My teacher could finish Beijing opera while sitting in a horse stance.
- I can finish a beer while sitting in a horse stance.
I like the third option better lol.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
View attachment 20314

So this was the pic that popped up with the description on Google. I feel stupid (hopefully you all don't think I'm lazy for complaining!) but in our club we don't call it horse stance nor do we stretch with it. Maybe this picture is an extreme version of it?

That looks more like a squat than a horse stance. Which is great for working your glutes, BTW. I take a weights class at the gym and one of the things that we do is to squat like that with a barbell on our shoulders, and then "pulse" it (basically, go maybe 1/4 back up to standing and back, 8-10 times).

Latest Discussions