Horse stance?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I practice mostly the physical side. I've considered looking into the spiritual side, but it has just never drawn me. For the physical (and mental), I practice Vinyasa flow. It has helped my knees significantly, and you work with your breath throughout, which works well with my martial arts.

Cool. Where I am Yoga classes seem to everywhere. Vinyasa I look out for. A friend of mine swears by hot yoga, but I don't deal with heat very well. Do you meditate as well?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. Where I am Yoga classes seem to everywhere. Vinyasa I look out for. A friend of mine swears by hot yoga, but I don't deal with heat very well. Do you meditate as well?
I don't, though I used to. I have difficulty quieting my mind to meditate, which is why I need it. My wife meditates a bit every morning.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It just burns your quads alot but nothing really exhausting
That means you are doing it correctly and not putting the stress on your knees. I'm not sure if you do this when you normally practice. When you do your horse stance pay attention to the movement of your muscles. You want to make sure that your weight is balanced 50- 50 on the left and right side. Be aware of the smallest shifts that your muscles make and it will help to increase your ability to sense those small changes. You can do this if you want your horse stance to be more productive (if you aren't already doing this.)

By the way nice horse stance for brushing your teeth. I'll see if I can match your 2 minute stance. I think the most that I do is one minute. I'll try to up your stance with a little forearm exercise.
That's pretty interesting. Yea, I don't remember EVER being shown a Horse Stance in MT. I wasn't there for very long, maybe it was something that would've come up later. I don't know. I know that with every TMA I've been in, the Horse Stance is learned right away.
This is the only video that I could find with anything like a horse stance being shown. I did find anotherThailand martial art that trained the stance while holding weapons but it wasn't Muay Thai.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you an image or a link for that. Sounds interesting.

actually I don't need to go to earlier patterns, the sequence straight after the horse stances than ends in the L stance punch, when we did that it was a much lower L stance almost like si li bu in Longfist.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't, though I used to. I have difficulty quieting my mind to meditate, which is why I need it. My wife meditates a bit every morning.

Same trouble here. Way too much going on. What kind of meditation does your wife use? I only know of the stereotypical ooooom cross-legged thing, if that's even legitimate.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
my 1st try for 2 minute horse stance. Failed. Hopefully I'll get to the 2 minute mark tomorrow after class.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

actually I don't need to go to earlier patterns, the sequence straight after the horse stances than ends in the L stance punch, when we did that it was a much lower L stance almost like si li bu in Longfist.

Thanks for that, and the info :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The chair one is easier.
nope. I'm going hardcore on this one. I'm 44 so I have to show that I still got it. Which is why I'm trying to accomplish it after working out instead of before working out when I have fresh legs lol. I probably would have gotten it if I didn't do the forearm exercises while doing the stance.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope. I'm going hardcore on this one. I'm 44 so I have to show that I still got it. Which is why I'm trying to accomplish it after working out instead of before working out when I have fresh legs lol. I probably would have gotten it if I didn't do the forearm exercises while doing the stance.

Arm excises, missed that lol. I'm 46 next year, so get it. Just maybe stagger it a little. Anyway good luck ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same trouble here. Way too much going on. What kind of meditation does your wife use? I only know of the stereotypical ooooom cross-legged thing, if that's even legitimate.
She doesn't follow any formal style. She simply spends time either sitting or laying down, being mindful of her thoughts while she quiets them some.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She doesn't follow any formal style. She simply spends time either sitting or laying down, being mindful of her thoughts while she quiets them some.

You know what, this could be bloke thing. I can rarely get to a fully relaxed state. I know it can done by blokes, but maybe a minority sadly.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what, this could be bloke thing. I can rarely get to a fully relaxed state. I know it can done by blokes, but maybe a minority sadly.
I did meditate at one time. I have a hard time quieting myself and being mindful when I'm stressed, which is exactly when I need it. This year has been stressful, so my attempts to get back to meditation weren't good. My closest moments have been when I had no students for class, so had the opportunity to train alone, away from home and the interruptions of 6 pets.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did meditate at one time. I have a hard time quieting myself and being mindful when I'm stressed, which is exactly when I need it. This year has been stressful, so my attempts to get back to meditation weren't good. My closest moments have been when I had no students for class, so had the opportunity to train alone, away from home and the interruptions of 6 pets.

Bet you have chihuahua's lol. Yeah though stress is unwanted at any time, reason why I changed jobs. But that is invidual of course, but the methods of release pretty much the same. Hope it gets better for you :)

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IMNSHO, the images that appear when you google horse stance are not functional. They are training exercises to strengthen the quads and the lower back. A good middle stance (it's what we call it) should look like you are actually riding a horse. The feet are about 1 1/2 shoulder widths apart, the knees are bent slightly and pushed out over the feet, kinda like this.
stock-photo-beautiful-girl-riding-a-horse-in-countryside-86742637.jpg

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my TKD/HKD time, we spent a lot of time in line drills, practicing hand striking while in deep horse stances, which I never understood as it's tactically NOT a good idea to fight a guy with your feet wide apart, very low and trying to just trade blows.... But I wasn't thinking about it from the conditioning angle. After a couple years of 3 to 5 classes a week in which you hung out in horse stance for something like 10 minutes a class, your leg strength gets really good, and the up/down as you move tends (it did me, anyway) the explosive/fast-twitch release muscles.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bet you have chihuahua's lol. Yeah though stress is unwanted at any time, reason why I changed jobs. But that is invidual of course, but the methods of release pretty much the same. Hope it gets better for you :)
3 big dogs (lab/hound, chow/newfie, lab/pitbull), 2 cats (12 lbs., 22 lbs.), and a miniature dachshund. The pit mix is the youngest, and the most disturbing (and disturbed).

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 big dogs (lab/hound, chow/newfie, lab/pitbull), 2 cats (12 lbs., 22 lbs.), and a miniature dachshund. The pit mix is the youngest, and the most disturbing (and disturbed).

Lab/Pitbull? A 22 pound cat. That seems a little heavy, depending on the cat.

Latest Discussions