Horse stance?

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You know what, this could be bloke thing. I can rarely get to a fully relaxed state. I know it can done by blokes, but maybe a minority sadly.

Then I have the mind of a man :( The days I feel relaxed are the days hell freezes over (so think snow in Florida!)

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
3 big dogs (lab/hound, chow/newfie, lab/pitbull), 2 cats (12 lbs., 22 lbs.), and a miniature dachshund. The pit mix is the youngest, and the most disturbing (and disturbed).

Those sound awesome and adorable and way better than my jack russell/rat terrier mix.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lab/Pitbull?
Yeah. A 75 lb. lovable idiot.

A 22 pound cat. That seems a little heavy, depending on the cat.
When he was 24 lbs (2 years ago), we asked the vet if he needed to lose weight. Vet said, "No, he's supposed to be that big. Your cat has dinosaur bones."

Everyone, meet Sir Isaac...
734736_509356609086109_46793357_n.jpg

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You know what, this could be bloke thing. I can rarely get to a fully relaxed state. I know it can done by blokes, but maybe a minority sadly.
I tried meditating once and went to clear my mind then thought to myself hey has it worked is my mind clear? Wait no I'm thinking right now crap try again.

That went on for about 3 minutes before I quit lol

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My horse stance sucks lol I keep getting told off for bending my knees inward I don't know Id I have funny knees or something as I genuinely try and push them out. I am slightly duck footed so that could be a reason.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried meditating once and went to clear my mind then thought to myself hey has it worked is my mind clear? Wait no I'm thinking right now crap try again.

The idea that your mind will be completely empty is one I've heard countered by people who are experienced in traditional meditation. The focus, at least early on, is simply on being aware of your thoughts and bringing them back to the meditation.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My horse stance sucks lol I keep getting told off for bending my knees inward I don't know Id I have funny knees or something as I genuinely try and push them out. I am slightly duck footed so that could be a reason.
I have a similar problem. I have to compromise between angling my feet too far out and having my knees too far in.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, Yoga and the fighting mindset seem ad odds, but somehow a little relevant.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
traditional meditation.
Before I didn't know why people want to meditate. One day my doctor told me that meditation can low my "blood pressure". I have tried this myself so many times. My BP may start as 130. I can use meditation to make it drop to 110, even 95. May be someday someone will publish a paper on this.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's just a question of balance. Find the sweet spot.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's just a question of balance. Find the sweet spot.

The Yoga will help get the hips flexible enought to horse stance well.

And flexable hips is in turn necessary to lift things correctly. Which is why even after reading the correct lifting techniques pamphlet people still lift with their back.

And on that point. The correct lifting structure is a very basic martial arts structure.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Yoga will help get the hips flexible enought to horse stance well.

And flexable hips is in turn necessary to lift things correctly. Which is why even after reading the correct lifting techniques pamphlet people still lift with their back.

And on that point. The correct lifting structure is a very basic martial arts structure.

Yes. Correct lifting is important, especially when having a bad back.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I Googled it and I think I have nightmares! How in the world is someone supposed to stand that way
Stance is a misleading word, you're not supposed to stand like and fight, it just a position you are in momentarily.

Imagine if you took a photo of someone serving in tennis, that position they are in in the photo is not the position you get into to serve a tennis ball, it's just a position they happened to be in fleetingly during the act of serving.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stance is a misleading word, you're not supposed to stand like and fight, it just a position you are in momentarily.

Imagine if you took a photo of someone serving in tennis, that position they are in in the photo is not the position you get into to serve a tennis ball, it's just a position they happened to be in fleetingly during the act of serving.
Agreed. Most stances are rarely held in application. In training, we spend much more time in them.

Latest Discussions