Homeowner Says Crews Demolished Wrong House

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19715994/detail.html

Wrecking crew says they were given a description of the house and GPS coordinates, but not an address. So they found the house they thought looked right and demolished it. House was full of heirlooms and had been built by the owner's father, by hand. He was raised in it - now it is in a dumpster, along with their possessions.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Careless...

Sloppy beyond belief on the part of the demo company!

But I bet I know someone who's gonna own a demo company!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My cousins, who all work construction, had shirts made a while back. The tagline:
Construction Worker, please speak slowly...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I... would be... soooo pissed off and out looking for blood.

Good thing this sort of thing does happen to TY and the folks at Extreme Home Makeover! :lol:

Really a bad thing to have happened. Heirlooms are just that and irreplaceable in many many cases. Even a hefty litigation settlement won't cover the losses.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Power box gone? That's a red flag right there. Why didn't he go check it out?? Why didn't the neighbors on that street-that-bears-his-family's-name inform him of strange goings-on?

And GPS coordinates???? Is that even LEGAL????

I dunno, folks. Something smells fishy here.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Power box gone? That's a red flag right there. Why didn't he go check it out?? Why didn't the neighbors on that street-that-bears-his-family's-name inform him of strange goings-on?

Apparently, when the power box disappeared and some holes were punched in the walls, he thought it was vandalism - it didn't happen the same day the house was knocked down.

And apparently, his lawn service guy told him that the house was being knocked down, but he didn't get there quickly enough to stop it.

It isn't said, but it seems the guy wasn't living in the house at the time - I know how that is. Stuff happens - you don't know about it until the next visit. Neighbors don't tell anyone jack.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't even know what my neighbors across the hall look like, let alone their names. They are only 4 feet away but I never see them.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't even know what my neighbors across the hall look like, let alone their names. They are only 4 feet away but I never see them.
So a blood curling scream in the middle of the night coming from next door wouldn't bother you either huh?... :lol: (just kidding)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back to the topic:
Measure Twice, Cut Once is something everyone who's worked construction has heard. Don't you think that verifying the address at least twice, when demoing a building would be a good idea?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good thing this sort of thing does happen to TY and the folks at Extreme Home Makeover! :lol:

I hate that show. Sometimes I wonder if hey have to do the 'move the bus' take multiple times to get the right sob levels...

Anyway, I heard a couple of years ago that a UK home renovation program got sued.

They had cleaned up the house without the knowledge of the owner.
The owner kept his money in his mattress.
The tv crew gave him a new one.
The people af the landfill had a good day and incinerated the mattress before the tv crew found out why the owner got a heart attack on the spot...

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So a blood curling scream in the middle of the night coming from next door wouldn't bother you either huh?... :lol: (just kidding)

Try living in Detroit. My neighbors do that all the time. They chase each other up and down the hallway and have fistfights at 3 a.m. They smoke stinking blunts in the hallway and scream bloody murder at all hours. They break into cars in the parking lot and throw furniture out their own windows into the courtyard from time to time. I stopped calling management or the police unless I actually hear a gunshot. OK, I mean a gunshot in the hallway. I hear gunshots all the time - I ignore them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate that show. Sometimes I wonder if hey have to do the 'move the bus' take multiple times to get the right sob levels...

Anyway, I heard a couple of years ago that a UK home renovation program got sued.

They had cleaned up the house without the knowledge of the owner.
The owner kept his money in his mattress.
The tv crew gave him a new one.
The people af the landfill had a good day and incinerated the mattress before the tv crew found out why the owner got a heart attack on the spot...

Oops?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think it was several hundred thousand pounds.
I'll never understand why some people hide that much money in their house. And in an unsecure location at that.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back to the topic:
Measure Twice, Cut Once is something everyone who's worked construction has heard.

The short time I woked in construction as a teenager I heard the old guys yell out **** IT, NAIL IT!!! alot. I would say "hey Bruce this doesn't look right, doesn't look safe". Bruce would yell out **** IT, NAIL IT!!!

This demo job sounds like one of those **** IT, NAIL IT moments.
icon7.gif

Last edited:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The short time I woked in construction as a teenager I heard the old guys yell out **** IT, NAIL IT!!! alot. I would say "hey Bruce this doesn't look right, doesn't look safe". Bruce would yell out **** IT, NAIL IT!!!

This demo job sounds like one of those **** IT, NAIL IT moments.
icon7.gif
I think I've said that...

Latest Discussions