Here we go again...HOA files lawsuit against 90 yo CMOH winner

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my favorite TV characters of all time!

[yt]-Voc-gNu_H0[/yt]

Last edited:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well.

I too have mixed feelings on this - though I have a certain nasty taste in my mouth because the "common area" the flagpole was erected in appears to be - in the picture from the article Carol posted - right in front of the man's house - the area I would call my front yard.

While HOAs serve particular purposes when their powers aren't *ahem* ABUSED, I still really don't like someone else telling me what flowers I can and cannot plant or lawn deco I can or can't use in the yard I deem as being *mine.*

OTOH, I really just don't like seeing flagpoles at private residences. A smaller display bracket for a small flag is one thing ... but a POLE?!?!? I personally would rather display my patriotism with action and service (and maybe a flag on the bracket a few times per year) and honor Old Glory in gathering places like community centers, government agency buildings and a few others.

If we're going to honor vets for their service, let's do it with vet benefits and take care of them by insuring the best of medical care, financial assistance for returning vets. Let's augment the disability classifications to reflect today's survivors and their syndromes and chronic manifestations resulting from their service rather than bend laws because one threw a tantrum.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well.

I too have mixed feelings on this - though I have a certain nasty taste in my mouth because the "common area" the flagpole was erected in appears to be - in the picture from the article Carol posted - right in front of the man's house - the area I would call my front yard.

While HOAs serve particular purposes when their powers aren't *ahem* ABUSED, I still really don't like someone else telling me what flowers I can and cannot plant or lawn deco I can or can't use in the yard I deem as being *mine.*

OTOH, I really just don't like seeing flagpoles at private residences. A smaller display bracket for a small flag is one thing ... but a POLE?!?!? I personally would rather display my patriotism with action and service (and maybe a flag on the bracket a few times per year) and honor Old Glory in gathering places like community centers, government agency buildings and a few others.

If we're going to honor vets for their service, let's do it with vet benefits and take care of them by insuring the best of medical care, financial assistance for returning vets. Let's augment the disability classifications to reflect today's survivors and their syndromes and chronic manifestations resulting from their service rather than bend laws because one threw a tantrum.
My suspicion, based on a few things in the article, is that the HOA is really a condo association; that's how my community is set up. I really don't own the land my townhouse sits on; what I own starts at the outside of the siding and moves inward. The community as a whole owns the land; the area around my place is "limited common area" meaning I have some control over it -- but it remains the common property, with limits on what I can do there.

As to federal legislation on this... To me, that's asinine and a huge over-reach by the Congress. It's not a federal issue; it's the very definition of a local issue.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really don't own the land my townhouse sits on; what I own starts at the outside of the siding and moves inward. The community as a whole owns the land; the area around my place is "limited common area" meaning I have some control over it -- but it remains the common property, with limits on what I can do there.

Methings you're correct on this assumption.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My suspicion, based on a few things in the article, is that the HOA is really a condo association; that's how my community is set up. I really don't own the land my townhouse sits on; what I own starts at the outside of the siding and moves inward. The community as a whole owns the land; the area around my place is "limited common area" meaning I have some control over it -- but it remains the common property, with limits on what I can do there.

As to federal legislation on this... To me, that's asinine and a huge over-reach by the Congress. It's not a federal issue; it's the very definition of a local issue.

EDIT:
There are several communities, including the one where my mom lives in NC where there are stretches of single family homes on public streets that are covered by HOAs.

In my mom's case, her neighborhood includes a few streets which sport some townhouses but the majority of the buildings are single-family homes with a front yard and a back yard. My mom is nearly 76 and not in the best of health so a key selling point for her was that the association has some stipulations as to how the property should look so her association dues cover yard maintenance and basic landscaping.

I thought this community was one of single family homes, but another report says this a community of townhouses and the yards are considered common areas.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579147,00.html

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks, Carol.

HOAs aren't all bad, either. I've been pleased with mine; they're very prompt about repairs, and keeping up with the landscaping. Best of all, our common money has funded some great security features that I never would have been able to afford myself. We do have our squabbles from time to time, but I take that as a sign of a healthy community - people don't have conflict when they don't care.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely; where I live, the lawns get mowed, the sidewalks get shoveled (and only occasionally the reverse...) and generally things get taken care of. But... they also managed to decide that I needed my siding powerwashed. And sealed. And, wouldn't you know, they had a company in mind to do it... just by happy coincidence. :shrug:

Overall, HOAs and condo associations serve legitimate and useful purposes. But too often, they're run by the squeaky wheels who have axes to grind, too.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm too "whats mine is mine" to tolerate a HOA. Maybe if I retire to a gated community and I want all the yardwork done for me, but not now.

Latest Discussions