Help wanted: Not sure what to practice

jwU

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, yep another new kid on the block type question. Ive been traing for about a a year and am at the yellow going onto orange belt point in my traing.

I head to the dojo twice a week...I want to train at home as well but there is so much to practice.

Are there any core things I should always focus on eg punches, kicks, blocks etc

and then maybe one night parctice forms , thne the next night practice katas eetc

basically im overwhelmed and not sure where to start in terms of practice at home..

Im trying to devise myself a routine/programme but feel i may miss something out or focus on somethng too much

any input is welcomed

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sad to say that I don't know enough about the art to advise you but there are planty here who can. However, my first instinct is to say that the best person to let you know what to practise is your teacher. Ask him/her what to focus on.

It may well be that the answer will be "Everything!" :D. I know that in my Lau Gar days that was true. The gradings were structured but there was always the chance that you would be asked outof the blue to do something not on the expected 'syllabus' :).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, yep another new kid on the block type question. Ive been traing for about a a year and am at the yellow going onto orange belt point in my traing.

I head to the dojo twice a week...I want to train at home as well but there is so much to practice.

Are there any core things I should always focus on eg punches, kicks, blocks etc

and then maybe one night parctice forms , thne the next night practice katas eetc

basically im overwhelmed and not sure where to start in terms of practice at home..

Im trying to devise myself a routine/programme but feel i may miss something out or focus on somethng too much

any input is welcomed

There are a number of ways to break up your training. I'll give a few examples.

1) Work on a certain area each day. For example: Monday work just basics, such as kick, punches and hand strikes. If you have access to a havy bag, focus target, etc., you can alternate and train them in the air as well as on the target. You can do this with all your strikes from the beginning to your current level.

2) Using the same idea as above, you can do the same with kata and techniques. Really break each move down, focusing on proper body position, proper execution of the strikes, and hitting the proper targets. Of course its best to work with a partner, but if thats not an option, you work with what you have.

3) If you don't want to split things, then take the white belt sheet and do everything on the sheet...strikes, punches, kicks, kata and SD.

This isn't something that you need to spend hours doing. Even if you spent 30min. its better than nothing. :)

Mike

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
basics basics basics...everything else will fall into place.
I agree if you stick to the basics everything else will fall into place. If your still having trouble trying to figure out what to practice on your own make a schedule of what you think you need to work on the most that way you can work on things as you feel you need too. Good luck.

Jeff Harvey

White Belt
Reaction score
Basics are very important to practice, and though it sounds overwhelming, you really should try to go over as much of the material as you can. The one thing I can add to what everyone else has said is this..... The principle of motion for orange belt is balance and the principle of motion for yellow belt is posture, so practice with those two things in mind. Posture and Balance.

Latest Discussions