Hello, new young Martial Artist

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
18 years old, Taekwondo 3rd degree Black belt, training for 11 years.

I'm particularly interested in the teachings of Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga as well, not to mention hoping to one day learn BJJ to round out my fighting arsenal!

I found this website after searching for a place to replace yahoo answers. It seems that no matter what I said or asked, everyone always shot me down. Many of them, although undoubtedly elder martial artists deserving of respect, seemed to be a little too eager to point out every flaw in your statement or attack you for introducing an idea not strictly taught in the dojo ( Aren't martial arts the product of experimentation? )

I hope when I post here, I can be taught and maybe even teach a little! Looking forward to finding a friendly community :D

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. I hope to see you around the TKD section. And yes, you will definitely learn a lot here.

Dansolo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum as well, but unlike you, I am also new to martial arts in general. That having been said, I will point out that a large number of martial arts out there are just tweaked versions of other martial arts, or at least started out that way. I personally am looking to learn something traditional, but it is totally valid to experiment and find what you like and what works for you! Perhaps some people get too invested in one martial art and forget that there are other martial arts and ways of thinking out there?

Cheers,

Dan

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to MT, we've got a very knowledgeable and active group here in the TKD forum!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
18 years old, Taekwondo 3rd degree Black belt, training for 11 years.

I'm particularly interested in the teachings of Jeet Kune Do and Krav Maga as well, not to mention hoping to one day learn BJJ to round out my fighting arsenal!

I found this website after searching for a place to replace yahoo answers. It seems that no matter what I said or asked, everyone always shot me down. Many of them, although undoubtedly elder martial artists deserving of respect, seemed to be a little too eager to point out every flaw in your statement or attack you for introducing an idea not strictly taught in the dojo ( Aren't martial arts the product of experimentation? )

I hope when I post here, I can be taught and maybe even teach a little! Looking forward to finding a friendly community :D

Welcome, and I hope you like it here. We have a lot of martial artists here of every background and ability level. I myself am still a novice.

Feel free to ask your questions. You may find people answer emphatically here, and often people have different opinions, but MT has a tad less attitude than some other places, I hope and believe. Just remember that people are often passionate about their training and in some cases, a question you think is 'innocent' can ignite emotions based on previous issues we've had that you were not a party to. Just relax, remain calm, all is well.

And yes, martial arts are the product of experience. What some have found is that there isn't much new under the sun, however. Every new idea that a person has is valuable; but sometimes research shows that it's been thought of before, tried before, and if useful, incorporated into one or more martial arts system before. That doesn't discredit the person who thinks of it today; it just means they were not the first to think of it. Remember, lots of people had a lifetime invested in thinking about and practicing these skills when they lived a more 'martial life' shall we say.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

As is the case with most on here, even though we may have such and such a belt, learning never stops.
Hope your time here is fruitful!

Chris

Latest Discussions