Have you ever thanked a veteran?

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did, twice. The first time it was an elderly retired Marine who lived up the street from us. I put my small boys into their wagon and hauled them up to visit him to say Thank You with some homemade bread. He was surprised, and he obviously didn't get many visitors and wanted to talk my ear off with a few anecdotes. He has since moved away as of a few years ago, I don't know where to. It left me wondering if anybody else had ever expressed appreciation to him for fighting for our country.

The second occasion was with a letter I wrote to my grandfather who'd served in WW2 in the Army. He has a small collection of medals and a purple heart. I grew up knowing about his service but it didn't occur to me until last year when he was ailing in a senior care home in Washington to actually thank him for it. I am grateful to God that he's still alive to thank.

If you are a veteran, let me take this opportunity to add my humble thanks to your collection.

If, like me, you are a regular civilian, you don't know how much it would mean to a veteran to have his/her service recognized with a simple thanks. Possibly you'd be the first, maybe even the only, one to do so.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have, several times. The most recent was over the summer. I was at an outdoor, riverfront bar, and there was an older marine in full dress. I approached him and thanked him for his service. I'm guessing he served in the Korean War.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many times -- but not nearly often enough.

Let me take this moment to again thank any and all veterans who come here; your service is part of why we have a place like MT in a Nation like the US of A.

And let's not forget our non-US veterans, either. The service and sacrifice of the members of the military from other nations, especially in WWII, but also in places like the Middle East is invaluable.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
girlbug2, let me thank you for posting this.

Today, I was thanked by both my wife and my ex-wife for being a veteran. While I have never been by any stretch of the imagination any kind of hero, yes it does make a difference.

You're all welcome. You and the USA are worth it, and more.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments of this thread. Whether we agree or not with the motivations for the wars these people are in does not detract one iota from our personal respect for those who serve in them.

For myself, I have personal debt to both of my grandfathers for their service which earned them the George Medal on my paternal side and the George Cross on my maternal side. One of these I knew and one was gone before I was born but I respect them both and owe to my paternal grandfather a very human picture of the events of Dunkirk. The stories left by my maternal grandsire (7th Armoured Division aka The Desert Rats) told me about the 'Desert' and the campaign through Italy, including some 'Boys Own' heroic events from which the decorations came.

Also, one of my close friends is a veteran of the Falklands campaign and the father (now deceased) of another friend a decorated veteran of Aden. There are many others I know by association with their kin (Britain is a small island from where many have offered their lives in the service of our country) whose names I do not know but whose faces (and sometimes deeds) I do.

We owe all of those who serve our honour and our tears as appropriate (which I unashamedly give and shed at every Armistace I do confess).

Last edited:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do, whenever I buy a Veterans' Day poppy. And I tell them that I hope they'll get a better deal from the US military for their service than they have in the past. It's shameful how some of these old soldiers are treated once their years of service, often in extreme danger, are done—especially their health care.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyday I thank them, maybe not in person but in prayers. We need to do more for the veterans of this land.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While onduty I have met many armed forces personnel..I usually shake their hands and thank them...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do, whenever I buy a Veterans' Day poppy. And I tell them that I hope they'll get a better deal from the US military for their service than they have in the past. It's shameful how some of these old soldiers are treated once their years of service, often in extreme danger, are done—especially their health care.

I'm sure we have many veterans on MT. If you are a veteran, please consider joining a veteran's organization like the American Legion or VFW (or both as many do). Politicians listen to numbers, so fellow veterans, help show Congress our numbers.

I have met some wonderful people and have heard some very interesting stories at the local VFW post. First person historical accounts, especially of WWII, are rapidly becoming fewer and farther between as time goes on. When you thank a veteran, consider asking open ended questions about their experiences. You may be in for a real treat!

C. Rushing
Quartermaster
VFW Post 3256

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did 3 tours of Viet Nam, came home and was rejected by my church and community. Now, after 36 years, the edge is gone and people seem to realize- I did what was asked of me. I did not run to Canada, I did not hide or fake an illness. I did what I was supposed to do. Granted, I did not crawl thru the jungles, but I did keep the machines of war working and kept them operational for those who needed them.
I am a technician, not a war monger and not a whimp. I gave what I could when asked. There were many of my generation who were spit on and treated as criminals. It was not called for nor deserved. Let time and truth shine its light on those who served during Viet Nam.

Thanks

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been thanked a few times. I'm always humbled by the thanks of others. I did a job that I volunteered to do to the best of my ability. I also thank other vets when the opportunity arrives. Even after being off of active duty for 13 years I still consider myself a Marine. My wife wished me a happy birthday on Monday, Nov 10 and told me I was looking pretty good for 233 years old. ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that served, and everyone who remembers our vets.

[yt]KYlrrAWCTRg[/yt]

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I was pretty much denied the privilege of serving. I wanted to, and passed my physical, but was precluded due to my medical history. Dad was in the Navy, grandfather was something of a hotshot in WWI-lots of Cuffees served, all the way back to the Revolutionary War.

I always make a point of thanking veterans-and those currently serving, whenever I see them or work with them. In fact, I make my wife a little crazy at times by going out of my way in public to shake the hands of people in uniform, and offer my thanks.

Funny story-when I was working at the nuke plant, oh, about a thousand years ago, we had a very strong union. This meant double time and a half on holidays. One of my fellow operators was a Viet Nam vet, and he could get very vocal about just about anything. Money especially.
Working on Veteran's day, especially a double shift, could be extremely lucrative: 16 hrs.= 1 week's pay, at more than $30/hr, back in the late eighties....anyway, Jimmy would rant:

Did you serve your country? Did you serve your country? All you limp-wristed, doily-tattin', Dubonnet sippin', quiche eatin', landscape paintin' ******s that didn't serve your country and get to work the holiday should take a vet to lunch for Veteran's Day.

Jimmy was funny guy:lol:, but I thought this was a good idea, so I bought him lunch, and I've bought a vet lunch every Veteran's Day for the last 25 years or so....

Thanks to all who served or are serving....

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes. My dad, my uncle, and on other occasions. I usually don't wait for veterans day. I say thank you to anyone who serves to protect us.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did not join for selfish reasons ... and yes, I've thanked many - some personally, some indirectly. I've had mixed reactions, understandably.

To all vets here: my sincere thanks and that of my family for paying the lasting price in living and prayers of thanks proffered to those who payed the supreme price.

:asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol!!!
:partyon:

*MWAH* Missed you!

And thank YOU for your service Jeff and Buzz and Crushing and Matt M and agemechanic and everyone else :asian:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been thanked many times actually. I share the sentiments of those other, it is my job, so I really don't think anything of it. The first few times were a bit weird, but I have still appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone else who is deployed now or on the way over!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did 3 tours of Viet Nam, came home and was rejected by my church and community. Now, after 36 years, the edge is gone and people seem to realize- I did what was asked of me. I did not run to Canada, I did not hide or fake an illness. I did what I was supposed to do. Granted, I did not crawl thru the jungles, but I did keep the machines of war working and kept them operational for those who needed them.
I am a technician, not a war monger and not a whimp. I gave what I could when asked. There were many of my generation who were spit on and treated as criminals. It was not called for nor deserved. Let time and truth shine its light on those who served during Viet Nam.

Thanks

Thank You for your service....

Latest Discussions