Has your club stopped using head gear?

Discussion in 'Boxing/Kickboxing' started by Acronym, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Acronym

Acronym Master Black Belt

It was determined that head gear does not ease chock trauma to the brain and actually induces more impacts due to the greater target area that catches punches which might miss without gear. Also the psychological effect of false security was shown to be detrimental for defense.

"the International Boxing Association, known as A.I.B.A., decided in 2013 to eliminate the guards for amateur male boxers in international tournaments because it had concluded that the guards were not having the desired effect when it came to preventing concussions and other brain injuries. In effect, the association concluded, there were two problems.
    One was that the head guards created a bigger target for boxers, who in turn attempted more head blows. The other was that the gear was giving boxers a false sense of security.

As a result Olympic Boxing is banning head gear.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  2. dvcochran

dvcochran Grandmaster

You are talking about a 7 year old article. Headgear ineffectiveness applies mainly to really, really hard strikes. Most headgear are still rated to reduce impact around 50%. Plus the helps with cuts and scrapes. So especially for daily practice the pros far outweigh the cons.
    Yes we still use WT approved headgear.

3. Acronym

Acronym Master Black Belt

I posted my question in the Boxing forum. I don't care what you do in your TAkewondo club.

"the guards were not having the desired effect when it came to preventing concussions and other brain injuries"

And the decision still stands. Why would Boxing club not update itself according to the sport? They train for the sport only.

4. dvcochran

dvcochran Grandmaster

The thinking comes from modern pugilism. Thinking that the contact would lighten up in the amateur ranks. It doesn't appear that this thinking has worked well in either sport.
    Watch videos of boxers practicing in the gym and you will see them wearing headgear. Just make sure it is a current video. And before you counter, Yes, I am certain you can find videos of people with and without headgear.123