Handbook and curriulum

P

pvwingchun

How many of you out there have a handbook that you give to students?

What is in it?

Is the curriculum in a book like a training manual?

Are they combined into one?

How is it accepted?

Is it something that is given out at registration, handed out after acertain length of time or is it optional?

OP
D

Disco

Not sure if offering a printed curriculum for students is a good idea.

There's two viewpoints. Shows what has to be done during the complete phase's of training. Viewpoint 1). Some people can accept this because they thrive on a challenge
2). Can't / Won't accept because they feel it's overwhelming.
Sorry to say that most people fall into the number 2 segment.
You could shoot yourself in the foot by scaring people off. I have found that if you can use a soft sell approach (which stands a much better chance of getting them into taking the training), that once their into it, they can more readily accept what's expected.

Now what we do is just give them the portion of the curriculum for the rank they are going for. It's a lot less overwhelming than looking at the complete course. But only after we have them for a couple of classes. They see after a few classes that it's not rocket science and they don't have to have the moves of Van Damm.
Hope this will be of some help for you.........................
:asian:

OP
P

pvwingchun

Now what we do is just give them the portion of the curriculum for the rank they are going for. It's a lot less overwhelming than looking at the complete course.

Thanks this is what we are thinking of doing.

OP
T

tonbo

We do the same as Disco does. Each time a student earns a new belt, they get a new booklet that describes the material that they will need for their next rank.

This seems to work out quite well. My wife went to a school where they had all the curriculum in one book, which you got when you enrolled. It was good, in that you could see what you needed for many belts yet to come, but it also got some people pretty messed up by trying to "interpret" techniques they weren't ready for. Early bad habits stayed with most of those people.

I would say to give it out in small bites, like you were planning on.

Peace--

OP
P

pvwingchun

Update. Our curriculum is a big succes the students love it. In it is the rules of the kwoon, history, lineage, brief explanation of the forms and when you are taught each one, what it takes to pass into the next level, terminology, expanation of testing and several other snippets of info. Plus we have the for the beginning studentd the the entire Siu Lim Tau form broken down move by move into thirds with both the Chinese and English translationand drills and principles associated with each third of the form. When they pass into Chum Kiu they get additional pages and the same for Biu Gee. :)

Almost every student who has studied elsewhere said they wished the other arts they had studied had given them a curriculum.

OP
T

triwahine

I like the curriculum that is written and given to each student as he/she works toward a new belt level. I also like the idea of the student writing down his/her notes and using it as a study guide. Hand-in-hand with the curriculum information, it should give the student a pretty thorough understanding of what is needed to achieve the next level. Also, by writing notes, the student will be able to think of questions for the sensei and he/she runs into problems. It allows the student to use mental as well as physical skills to learn. Just a thought.

OP
R

rschoon

pvwingchun said:

What is in it?

How is it accepted?

Is it something that is given out at registration, handed out after acertain length of time or is it optional?

What I do is at sign-up, they get a sheet with the school ettiquete and a sheet with the requirements they will need for their first belt. As they make new ranks they get the next requirement list. I also have all the requirements listed by rank in poster form on the wall. I also require that everyone keep a notebook for questions and other info. I do by the way have manuals that the students may purchase for thier current rank or below.

Rick

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
on my first day at the first school I trained at, I was given a little, photocopied handbook explaining all the policies of the school, when tuition was due, everyone must wear deodorant and have clean uniforms, etc....

it was kinda nice, because the instructor, instead of telling a student he stunk or to wash his uniform, he'd just tell the student to "re-read section 6 of the handbook." :uhyeah:

We were also given a card with all the stuff we needed to know for our next belt.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The I.K.K.O. has a 'manual' for each belt level. In it, the curriculum is broken down so the student has a hard copy of what they need to know. Pledge, sayings, fundamentals, Tecs with defenses listed, but not with the tec written out, an area for the instructor to initial when taught and the head instructor to sign off on when tested. The sets per belt etc.
It's a nice reference to have and each student is responsible for their own copy and are expected to bring it to each class.

Tess

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
The I.K.K.O. has a 'manual' for each belt level. In it, the curriculum is broken down so the student has a hard copy of what they need to know. Pledge, sayings, fundamentals, Tecs with defenses listed, but not with the tec written out, an area for the instructor to initial when taught and the head instructor to sign off on when tested. The sets per belt etc.
It's a nice reference to have and each student is responsible for their own copy and are expected to bring it to each class.

Tess
I hope you don't have to pay for those manuals or at least they are dirt cheap.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We have a book. It is basically a list broken down into what technique that you need for each rank. The katas are listed and some other information like steps for waza etc. This is used to let people know what techniques they need to study. Also it is used when teaching to see what that rank needs because sometime once you get to the higher ranks you don't remember where you learned something. It is given out when you become a student. At least at that dojo.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i got a hand book form my new school i took it as a challage for what i have to know in the future and a way to practice what i know now even when i get mixed up it lists all the rules so they can get on my case for any of the 4rules they have cus they all are in writing i thought it was a good idea

also no suprises come testing time cus all they gotta do is point back to the book and say youv known what was expected of you :readrules

OP
A

AnimEdge

We have a booklet that they hand out to the ones that seam to keep coming backi think i got mine like a month after i started, its generaly a guideline, has some history in the front, the tenets, and goes by each belt not saying how to do but a general name for the tech, just becouse its in theb ook doesnt mean your do it on the test and just becouse it is not in the book doesnt mean you wont do it on the test but its a general book to know what you need, like for exp a tech for High Brown is: 5-7 Sword Disarms
Or for Green: Shirt Grab, Thumb Tech
I know whatthese are becouse i have done them but someone who just picks up the booklet woudlnt know what to do and self teach themself

In all i think Class books are good for like quick ref. but it wouldnt bother me if i didnt have one

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the school where I teach, we have a curriculum guide which is posted on the school's website. If someone does not have a computer, then we provide a copy of it. These are minimum requirements so that the student knows how many classes needed to test, what the material they are expected to know, etc. It also helps the instructor because it says what material is to be introduced at each rank.

Miles

OP
O

OC Kid

I give my students a sheet with the requirements for each rank. just the one they will need for the next rank. It has the form they will need. self defense techniques and terminology as well as basics they will need to know.
I tell them that this is a guideline or referance. There test may have more than that, depending on them as a individual.

There is absolutely no time table for them to achieve this knowledge or rank. If it takes them 2 years so be it. If it takes them 3 months (which 6 months is about average ) so be it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We have our own folders, but we get handouts of the new material for next rank,as we grow so do the folders. This is good because as a students you have something to go back on.

We also get the history and etiquettes materials in the begining. It is nice to get all the requirements on paper, no guessing and miss spoken things.

Everyone knows what is expected and can follow their own progess. Most of us like that.....Aloha

OP
J

jbclinic

pvwingchun said:

What is in it?

How is it accepted?

i have a manual that i give out for each belt level so that, 1) you don't waste money in manuals 2) all the info is too much to comprehend. so at least limit the distribution

Latest Discussions