Health Insurance

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as hell. What do the full time martial arts instructors do as far as securing health insurance for themselves ?

Just so you know, I'm not comtemplating going into full time martial arts instructorship. I'm just curious.

Take care,
Brian

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think its lke any other small business or contractor, or personal insurance. Very expensive. Most people I know in this situation either don't have coverage, or they get it through their spouses employment. I work for a very small company (3 people including me) we are hiring but we aren't at the stage yet where we can provide insurance. I do get a health insurance reimbursement however which pays for me to be added to my wifes plan.

Andy

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The School Management forum, but I left a redirect in the original forum.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I don't have an exact link or company in mind, but it occurs to me that there are several companies out there that will offer group rate insurance to small companines. They put you in something similiar to a co-op to get you rates like that. If a group were seriously interested, I know someone that could even maybe put someting together like that. It bears looking into.

P

progressivetactics

You can get good coverage at not soooo bad prices often if you know where to look, and how to go about it.
For instance, look up Blue cross, and request a 'non group plan' and pick from the groups listed there. You can get pretty good insurance like that.

The company I used to work for paid $166.76 per week for insurance for us. That was for Blue Cross. I tried to bargain with them to let me buy my own, and split 1/2 the savings, but they coudn't get as low as they got, if people did it on there own........jeesh!

L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by arnisador
Is there nothing through NAPMA?

Nope, although members have requested it. I don't know if they're working on it or not. I wonder if MAIA has anything.

WhiteBirch

Latest Discussions