Good tapes on FMA?

B

Boa_101

anyone has seen and could recommend some great tapes?
How about the rick Tucci 9 volume set?
Anyone want to sell their copies?

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Both the Dan Inosanto and the Dog Brothers tapes are worth viewing. Any of the Remy Presas tapes are also worthwhile (though if you trained with him they just seem to make you miss having him around.)
Obvioulsy any tapes that directly support the style you study are worth investing in. Another very good tape, though not strictly FMA, is Bob Orlando's silat/kuntao tape from Paladin.
(Note- NOT an exhaustive list!)

OP
S

Sifu DangeRuss

I've seen 'em all. (Or tried to anyway) I agree that any of Professor Presas' tapes are well worth viewing. There's just something about the cheerful and non-challant way he tosses people about that is immensely enjoyable to watch. Particularly his earlier tapes. Also GM Bobby Taboada's tapes are filled with great content. Innocula (sp?) also has some good stuff. Rick Tucci's are interesting. The Dog brother's are "different". (Kind of fascinating in a "Faces of Death" sort of way). Kelly Wordon has some great material, however the content is rather "course" and not reccommended for all viewing audiences. I saw a great tape from the Lightening Scientific group, although I suspect it was bootlegged and may not be easy to locate. There are others, that are certainly worth viewing as well. One can learn from everyone, even if sometimes it is only what NOT to do.

"What could be cooler than swingin' sticks???"​

OP
M

Mormegil

Steve Grody's Flow of of Filipino Kali Empty Hands was really nice. My one complaint is, sometimes, the feeder seemed a little too far to actually land the punches if they weren't countered. Otherwise, I liked the flow and the relation to knife work.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd recommend, in no particular order and some have already been mentioned:

Dan Inosanto
Bobby Taboada
Edgar Sulite
Ted Lucaylucay
Rick Tucci
Dog Brothers

And one that hasn't been mentioned (and is new and not well known yet) is "Panantukan" by Guro Harley Elmore.

This video is available at his website at http://www.warriorswaytx.com

This video is very good and gives a good overview of some of the Filipino boxing basics.

Mike

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
hi
an old company known as mandirigma productions has some very very good tapes..... i tthink the company no longer operates???

i have the 3 tape set of kalis illustrisimo with grandmaster tatang illustrisimo... it shows a heck of a lot....

i also have the two tape set of Lapunti arnis de abanico with Grandmaster Ondo Caburnay....

iam getting in a few weeks from my cousin in the philippines the lightning scientific arnis tapes with Grandmaster Ben lema......

i also quite a number of other tapes but i find these tapes of these Grandmasters to be some of the best.....

terry

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
hi
an old company known as mandirigma productions has some very very good tapes..... i tthink the company no longer operates???

i have the 3 tape set of kalis illustrisimo with grandmaster tatang illustrisimo... it shows a heck of a lot....

i also have the two tape set of Lapunti arnis de abanico with Grandmaster Ondo Caburnay....

iam getting in a few weeks from my cousin in the philippines the lightning scientific arnis tapes with Grandmaster Ben lema......

i also quite a number of other tapes but i find these tapes of these Grandmasters to be some of the best.....

terry

Sir,

Could you ask your esteemed instructors, why I have seen "kalis illustrisimo" marketed as Kali Illustrimo. This might be an insight into the word Kali? and its' origin.

Thank you
:asian:

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
hi

yes the book the secrets of kalis illustrisimo the filipino fighting art explained........ tells you exact origins......

on page 8 the first paragrah of the intro explains this

i shall cite the paragraph
in respect to research

"we would like to make it clear from the onset that kalis illustrisimo is not to be confused with kali. Kali has become a generic name used for Filipino martial arts" as practised in the U.S. Kali is not however, the name of an ancient, all encompassing "mother art" of the philippines. In fact, nobody that we know in the Philippines ever used that term, or had even herd of it, until it was usedin yambao's book and, later in Inosanto and Johnsons book."
"inosanto began using the term kali because his teacher, Floro villabrille, it was the ancient art of our country." (Diego & Ricketts, 1999:8)
the rest second paragraph the goes on to explaine how much of a fraud illustrisimo's relative villabrile is.......

as you can see the authors have the same views as 100% of the filipino population in the philippines KALI IS NOT A PHILIPINO WORD.........
YOU CAN CHECK ALL OF OUR 70 + DIALECTS AND LANGUAGES AND YOU WILL NOT FIND THE TERM KALI......

in an older article tatang has said that he only dicided to use the term kali because students from america kept asking if he could show them KALI..........

The secrets of kalis illustrisimo 'the filipino fighting art explained' , 2002, tuttle martial arts, boston, vermont , tokyo..

thanks guys i hope this has clarified many confusions...

terry

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Terry,

Mandirigma Productions was a joint venture with my instructor Reynaldo S. Galang and Roberto Torres. They are a must have for any FMA enthusiast as with the Lapunti, LSA & Modern Arnis with Master Rodell Dagooc tapes.

I posted my views on the use of kali vs. kalis with respect to Tatang's art not to confuse anyone but to simply point out that it was seen as nothing more than a word. The other issues that surfaced around it, caused quite a stir. Here is just part of my reply submitted to the Eskrima Digest yesterday as there is current discussion.

>I don't want to open another debate but there are several issues surrounding the word "kali" not just one. I'm certain that the GM's, Masters, styles or organizations that use this word do not all share the same view. We should not generalize and direct negativity towards those who choose to use it but rather address the concerns separately. These are just some of the threads I've seen and my view on it.

-Was "kali" an ancient pre-Hispanic fighting art indigenous to the Philippines? IMO…NO.
-Does the word even exist in any of the dialects?
Apparently so, words such as Kaliradman, Pagkalikali, Kalirongan all contain the "ROOT" word.
-Is the word "CURRENTLY" used in the Philippines?
Yes, as Roland Dantes has pointed out with great detail.
-Is Kali any different from Arnis/Eskrima?
No, it's just a word that was adopted by practitioners in the Philippines and U.S. It is not to make any distinction between blade & blunted weaponry as the majority of Arnis/Eskrima includes both.

IMO…the biggest criticism seems to be whether or not it is an ancient fighting form, mother art or specifically a bladed art. I think most of us agree that it is not. I respect the concerns for truthfulness on Filipino history & culture because it is my heritage too. So then, what else is there to discuss on this word?<

At best, the only argument left would be, "at what point did this word evolve in the many dialects of the Philippines?".

John J
BAKBAKAN International
www.bakbakan.com

OP
D

Dave Fulton

My recommendations (off the top of my head) would be:

Pekiti-tirsia International's

Dog Brothers Original Series (have not seen the 2nd set, but suspect that they'll be good as well).

Bobby Taboada's Balintawak

I have seen others that either I have not seen enough of to form an opinion or simply was not impressed with.

Since Boa_101 asked specifically about Rick Tucci's set, I will say this based upon my limited exposure to them. I think that they'd be ok if you were looking to pick up a few new drills or something, to supplement other tapes/training. However, I would not make them the foundation of your training.

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I have all the titles from Mandirigma Productions. The LSA series offers a good overview of the system which includes solo baston locking, disarms, empty-hand and the combat drill, Bigay-Tama. It includes GM Lema, Maestro Elmer Ybanez & Maestro Vic Sanchez.

Another company Lionheart (also no longer operating) released LSA videos with Maestro Elmer Ybanez. The participants demonstrate the breakdown & progression of Espada y Daga, the use of Payong(sp?) which I interpret to be a variation of Sumbrada among other things. On a separate title (Full Contact Stickfighting ), you can get a glimpse of Maestro Ybanez & LSA students sparring.

>also on my illustrisimo video they are advertising the yamboa arnis taken from the book in the 50's who demonstrates this system???

I don't recall the Mandirigma or Unique releases to have included Yambao. Can you clarify? However, with permission of the Yambao family, the book "Mga Karunungan Sa Larong Arnis will be released in English by Master Reynaldo S. Galang.

OP
S

Stickgrappler

if you are into palm stick/pocket stick, the late ted lucaylucay's POCKET STICK is a must have.

Latest Discussions