Good tapes on FMA?

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe tapes featuring Professor Visitacion were on the agenda but fell through. As mentioned, LSA with GM Lema is completed. FMA enthusiasts will soon have a chance to read Yambao but I don't think a video is in the making.

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
i haven't seen them, but the kalis illustrisimo of mandirigma productions features Chris rickkets, i can tell you know the kalis illustrisimo tapes offered by bakbakan featuring chris ricketts is no way going to be as good as the mandirigma kalis illustrisimo,,,

why?

the mandirigma productions feature tatang illustrisimo

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Have a look at my homepage under

http://www.abanico.de

I have produced aboput 35 videos relating to FMA styles and topics for example about Modern Arnis, Doce Pares, Inayan Eskrima, Balisong, JKD and Kali, Rapid Arnis, Kali/Sikaran etc.

All videos are professionally produced and I have had only good comments about them from my customers.

The website is available in german and english language and I can deliver all the videos also in english/NTSC format, as needed in the US.

Regards from Germany

Dieter Knüttel
ABANICO Video Productions
Datu of Modern Arnis

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Terry,

when are you going to put some real grandmasters From the Philippines on your videos.???.

You know how strict some Grandmasters are with their techniques. So sometimes it is not so easy to get to the advanced techniques in normal training, not to speak, that one puts them on video, that everybody can buy.
I offered it to Professor Remy Presas, but he wasn´t in Germany long enough for a production and he also wanted to have some of his american students as partners. So he preferred to fim in the US.
Duiring my recent trip to the Philippines, I was limited on time myself and my main focus was on training and not on the production of Videos.
So this is a questrion, I cannot answer right now. One day perhaps. But for the videos are not aimed at the 20 years of experience FMA practitioners, the videos that I produced wih the differnet authors and myself have very high value of content and quality, even though not old Grandmasters are featured.

also on your site you have videos that arent by your company (abanico) will your australian distributer carry these also???

No, sorry, I can only distribut these here from Germany and I don´t have the rights on these import videos, as they are called on the homepage, to sell to retailers abroad. If you are interested in some of these, you would have to order them directly from me.

Best regards from Germany

Dieter Knüttel
ABANICO Video Productions

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hi dieter

thanks

i have one more question who did you train with when you where in the philippines?? did you only stay in manila??

i also just returned from training in the philippines on the 6th of march i will be going back there next year, i was interested in finding the adresses of other masters to train with..

thanks

terry

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Terry,

i have one more question who did you train with when you where in the philippines?? did you only stay in manila??

I only stayed in Manila. I was interested in Training in Modern Arnis and all the relevant Masters were there.

I know that ther are many quaified Masters and Grandmasters of many different styles in the provinces, but I have been training Modern Arnis and Modern Arnis related FMA since 1978, so this is my prime focus.

I was fortunate enough to do private training with the following Modern Arnis Masters/Grandmasters from the different organisations:

Cristino Vasquez, 9. Dan, MARPPIO (Modern Arnis Remy P. Presas International Organisation) before IMAF (International Modern Arnis Federation), Rene Tongson, 8. Dan (IMAF), Jerry de la Cruz, 8. Dan (Arnis Cruzada), Rodel Dagooc, 8. Dan, AAI (Arnis Association International), Vicente Sanchez, 8. Dan (Kali/Arnis Philippines) und Samuel Dulay, 6. Dan (IMAF-secretary).

If you are in Manila have a look at the gmy of Rodel Dagooc. It in in the 3rd floor of the Quirino Grandstand, Rizal Park (Luneta) in Manila. He has good connections to other Masters and styles and he is a very good instructor. The americans gave him the nickname "smoking stick". Once you have seen him, you know why.

I hope that helped.

Regards

Dieter

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Rommel,

It will be difficult to give a fair review on the current tapes available on the program. They were originally produced for our Chapter Members as a guide to some drills, forms and training methods. Another purpose was to maintain some consistency in the teaching, progression & training structure.

It was the growing interest in the Ilustrisimo system and Bakbakan International that inspired Master Galang to develop a program for "outside" parties. We decided to include the original tapes as there was still a need for them. We are currently in the process of revamping the remaining volumes. The focus is more on applications, or instruction.

Please note that this program was NOT designed for "instructorship certification." No rank is awarded to any participants.

Hope this helps!

Yours in the Arts,

John J

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hi dieter

sorry for the late reply, yes i visited master Rodel's gym i went up there on a sunday morning at about 7:45am the gym was opened but no one was there.. i visited the gym by accident a friend of mine told me that if i went to rizal park of a sunday morning i would find eskrimador's practicing there.. i saw alot of kung fu but no eskrima!!!

only the modern arnis gym there...

thanks

terry

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello Terry,

soor you went the without meeting anybody. As far as I know, Rodel has classes on Saturday and Sunday morning at 9 o´clock. Before he may be running or also training in the park.

Usually he is there also in the afternoon during the week, becaus ehe also has some classes. I think monday and wednesday at 6 o´clock pm. But I am not sure.

Did you leave him a message on the table, so he could call you back? This would be a goods way to get in contact with him.

I hope you will meet him, because he is really nice and a very fast Arnisador.

Dieter

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
yes i dindnt get to meet him unfortunately,

but i will be back next year to vist my wife's family in luzon i will stay in the mabini mansion for about 1 week hopefully that will be a weeks worth of training with him if he has afternoon classes... i train in the mornings with GM Andy Abrain (moro moro orabes heneral) in quezon city...

one more question dieter,

have you met GM Joe Mena of doblete rapillion ??

do you know where he teaches??

i would like to also train with him next year if i can

thanks again dieter,
also iam sorry to hear about master Rodels daughter hopefully she will be ok..

terry

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello Terry,

unfortunately I did not meet GM Mena. But Engeneer Diaz, Director of PIGSSAY of the Philippine Tourism Authority is training doblete rapillion. Through him it should be possible to contact GM Mena.

His e-mail is: [email protected]

I hope that helps

Regards

Dieter

OP
R

Rommel

Dieter,

I was looking through all your video tapes http://www.abanico.de
which all look really interesting when I came across GRU spetsnaz which is a tape in French of two former spetsnaz teaching their methods. Do you know if their style is systema, ROSS, kadochnikov's, Popov's GRU spetsnaz?

I am a student of Vladimir Vasiliev, but I have a behavioral problem where periodically I just have to collect things like martial arts video tapes. Before it was stamps, comic books, coins, etc.

Do you know if other tapes are offered from them and exactly where these instructors currently live?

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello Rommel,

Do you know if their style is systema, ROSS, kadochnikov's, Popov's GRU spetsnaz?

Sorry, I don´t know. The videos in that section are imported ones so I don´t know much of the background and I don´t have a Gru Spetsnaz video here right now to have a look on the cover. The ABANICO Videos are all produced by myself, mostly with other authors. (I authored 10 of them) so I can tell you a lot about those.

But I have seen the Gru Spetsnaz video and I have seen videos from Vladimir Vasiliev and I can tell you, these two styles are very different. The Gru Spetsnaz people in the video are demonstrating techniques, that look very much like simple Karate techniques.

periodically I just have to collect things like martial arts video tapes. Before it was stamps, comic books, coins, etc.

You are most welcome to do so :)
The video in the ABANICO section I can deliver in english NTSC version, the videos from the import section are only available in PAL and thelanguage that is specified on the homepage.

Still I am sure, you will find a lot of interesting tapes in the ABANICO section, and I can tell you, you will not regret it. They are all professionally produced and have a very different touch compared to most US instructional videos.

I hope you find something that suits your interest.

Dieter Knüttel
ABANICO Video
Datu of Modern Arnis

OP
R

Rommel

Your "Reactive Knife Defense System" and "Pressure Sensitive Nerve Areas" from Inayan Escrima look very tempting for me. How similar is the pressure point work to Dillman's. Aside from this, do you have any other pressure point videos?

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I have a little problem with the: Strike these 3 points first and the 4th strike will work as long as the opponent has not moved in between.
It is a little drastic, but this is the way I see it.

In the PSNA video, Pressure Sensitiver Nerve Areas, we cover 13 different points all over the body, that work, how and why.
We show which nerve are attacked, how they should be attacked and in which situations it is sensible, to use these techniques and points.

All in all a very good video and one of the last videos of the late Mike Inay. Really excellent and I have a lot of happy customers, who have this tape.

On the 6th Karate video: Tekki and Naihanchi, we also cover quite a bit of Kyushojutsu, which is the Nerve point manipulation. This is a little in the direction of George Dillman, but not too much.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Dieter

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rommel
Your "Reactive Knife Defense System" and "Pressure Sensitive Nerve Areas" from Inayan Escrima look very tempting for me. How similar is the pressure point work to Dillman's.

I took a seminar in each of these from Mr. Inay before his passing and in my opinion the PSNA material is not at all like Mr. Dillman's (which I know only from attending several seminars of his style). Typically one hit a single spot in order to get a desired reaction. Much of it would seem unsurprising to a martial artist I think; it was developed with police officers in mind, if memory serves. It seemed practical to me.

OP
R

Rommel

Can you describe how the seminar was like? How about a summary review? Was the knife work typical for arnis or did he add something new and unique?