Good tapes on FMA?

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lots of people mention great tapes, but I've noticed that some are easier to get a hold of than others.

The Kalis Illustrusimo tapes from Mandrigama are very good. Is the LSA series still availalbe?

I also like Billy McGrath's Pekiti International tapes, which review seminar content. You need to attend the seminars in order to purchase them - but that's a good thing also!

Lionheart did some Pekiti Tirsia tapes with Nene Tortal back in the '80's (?). Are these tapes still available?

Where can I buy the original Remy Presas tapes? I tried renting from Billy Moody's organization, but someone has had the tapes for several months and refuses to return them. (Whoever you are - I've been first on the waiting list for as many months as you've decided to keep them. What is it that you think you're not seeing?) Are the originals out of print? Who owns the rights to reissue them? I dont' want to buy copies from anyone if the rights are still in probate. Advice, anyone?

From the little I've seen, Rick Tucci's series is also quite good.

Best,

Steve Lamade

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
Try contacting Allen Sachetti at: www.sachettis.com for the LSA w/Maestro Ybanez and PT w/GM Tortal releases. Lionheart was his company, I believe.

Regarding the Ilustrisimo tapes from Mandirigma, you may contact Master Reynaldo S. Galang at: [email protected] He had very limited copies left and had no intention on re-releasing these tapes.

I am releasing my 1st instructional tapes titled "The Combat Principles of DeCuerdas" and "Dos Mano Methods" in March 2004. I hope to offer some personal insight to these Warrior Arts!

Yours in the Arts,

John G. Jacobo
BAKBAKAN International
www.bakbakan.com

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by lhommedieu
Lots of people mention great tapes, but I've noticed that some are easier to get a hold of than others...

The Kalis Illustrusimo tapes from Mandrigama are very good. Is the LSA series still availalbe?

Steve Lamade

The tapes from Mandirigma/Reflections/Arjee Enterprises ( I've seen the Illustrisimo and LSA tapes) are good in terms of seeing the GMs demonstrating their systems. While there is a great deal of combative information there, they lack in instructional content. I'm quite sure that the tapes were intended to generate further interest in the systems that they illustrate rather than to serve as lessons by proxy.

The tapes offer precious little instructional content unless you have time to review the tapes in slow motion over and over. They do however, offer a great overview of the systems as demonstrated by the GMs and their senior students. They are great reference material.

Tim Kashino

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bill, assuming you are inquiring about the Mandirigma releases, they are available in VHS/PAL format only.

You are absolutely correct Tim! The tapes were not meant to be instructional but more demonstrative. Some great tapes to have for your collection.

John

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you John. The tapes are not totally devoid of combative information. You really have to take the time to figure out what is there, and then take the time to play with it in order to glean some benefit out of them.

When exactly will you be releasing your videos?

Tim Kashino

OP
D

dohap

is there any chance to buy these old tapes?
I'm not from US, so I got limited access to American market...

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tim,

I am hoping to release the tapes by mid-to-late March. I will be launching a website with general information and clips of my upcoming series shortly.

Bill,

I had no intention on releasing the videos on DVD. However, I will consider it if it is taken well.

Dohap,

Please refer to my previous post for information on all the tapes released by Mandirigma Productions/Arjee Enterprises.

John G. Jacobo
BAKBAKAN International

OP
C

CiNcO dOsE

whats a reasonable price for these tapes (kali ilustrisimo from mandirigma)?!

100$us for 3 tapes (the whole set), including shipping and handling, cool on this!?

where else can you get these tapes besides from master rey galang?!

could you still find these tapes in philippines?!

out of these 2 sets:
1) kalis ilustrisimo by christopher ricketts
2) kalis ilustrisimo from mandirigma

which one would you guys recommend to get first?!

thanks peeps
:asian:

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen the tapes from Christopher Ricketts - although I am sure that they are very good.

The ones from Mandrigama feature Tatang Illustrisimo (as well as his senior students). Even though he is late in years, it is obvious that Tatang Illustrisimo practiced an art of an extremely high quality, and there are a lot of lessons to be learned here. I think that they're well worth the money and then some. You should slow them down and take a close look at the timing of the counter for counters, for example (I took each technique and put it onto Windows Movie Files, to avoid having to rewind constantly). The Laro Laro (sp?) is also very interesting with respect to the timing. As has been said before, this is not an "instructional" tape per se: you just need to look with an appreciative eye and say "I'd like to be able to do that - just the way it's being done!"

Best,

Steve Lamade

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Eskrimadors!

Just a shameless plug to let you know that I have launched my official website which streams a clip off "The Combat Principles of DeCuerdas" which is Vol.I of my newly released instructional series.

The Combat Principles of DeCuerdas covers "rebounding" as it applies to offense & defense. In offense, it is used as enganyos or feints while in defense, you will rebound in a counter or recounter. The purpose of this tape is to understand the principle. It is not technique driven.

Volume II covers the Dos Manos Methods. It includes footwork, basic strikes, flowing attacks, short skirmish exercise and reverts to "Escalera DeCuerdas", a drill covered in Vol. I

Please visit www.swacom.com for my story and more!

Hope to meet some of you at the FMA Expo in Vegas this weekend.

Yours in the Arts,

Guro John G. Jacobo
School for the Warrior Arts & Combatives (SWACOM)
BAKBAKAN International

OP
N

Northstorm

John J said:
Try contacting Allen Sachetti at: www.sachettis.com for the LSA w/Maestro Ybanez and PT w/GM Tortal releases. Lionheart was his company, I believe.
I have tried to get the old Tortal tapes, but other than an occasional tape showing up on ebay, they are impossible to get. When GM Tortal and GM Gaje parted ways, GM Tortals tapes were no longer offered by Lionheart and others who sold them, and were loyal to GM Gaje. However Tortal does have a great tape out produced by Greg Alland that can be ordered at www.kalisilat.com

Northstorm

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Northstorm said:
I have tried to get the old Tortal tapes, but other than an occasional tape showing up on ebay, they are impossible to get. When GM Tortal and GM Gaje parted ways, GM Tortals tapes were no longer offered by Lionheart and others who sold them, and were loyal to GM Gaje. However Tortal does have a great tape out produced by Greg Alland that can be ordered at www.kalisilat.com

Northstorm

Yep, I tried to contact Mr. Sachetti for a copy of the contrada tape from the now defunct Lionheart. I had a copy a while back, but it's in a box that my ex-wife held on to during our divorce procedings, which probably means that it's in a landfill somewhere in SoCal. Hell hath no fury...

I received no reply from Mr. Sachetti, which is probabably a good indicator that he's not willing to reproduce the tape for anyone. Can't win 'em all.

Haven't seen the Tortal tape from G. Alland, but I had the opportunity to meet and train with GM Tortal in the PI. Good stuff.

r/

Tim Kashino

Latest Discussions