Good tapes on FMA?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This was circa 1997, so I am working from rusty memory. The turnout was embarrassingly small--there were more instructors than attendees. The knife defense was empty hand vs. the knife and contained no surprises--it was typical for FMA.

The PSNA material was interesting. He had clearly really considered what a police officer might need and had developed techniques that not only would work but could be worked in. I'd like to take a follow-up seminar in it some time.

OP
R

Rommel

"I'd like to take a follow-up seminar in it some time."

Is there anyone you can recommend that can teach this now that he has passed away?

I live in the Greater Toronto, Canada area and would love to supplement my training by learning this aspect of FMA.

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The knife defense was empty hand vs. the knife and contained no surprises--it was typical for FMA.

Well, this really depends on your knowledge.
I thought, it has a different touch, because it uses different principles than most FMA Knife-System.

Most systems use the "Tapping drill", where you make contact to the knife hand of the opponent with the opposite hand. So if the attacker gives a number one (meaning, he attacks the left throat of the defender), the defender usually uses his right hand for the contact to have contact with the outside of the forearm to the knife-hand.
Not in Mike Inay´s system: He uses the "closer hand, palm down" principle, so you would use the left hand for the first contact and through the palm down principle, he would use the outside of the left forearm for the contact. Then the right would take over. This is different to many opf the other FMA knife concepts.

Also, there is a very refined systematic approach, how to automatize the defense movement against the knife. All is demonstrated on the video in detail.
Granted, you cannot reinvent the wheel, but I thought, there are quite a few valid things in his concepts that I did not finde that way in other knife-concepts. (I am not saying that any one is better, just different.)

To get in contact with the Inayan System of Eskrima, you can either contact Jason Inay under

http://www.inayan.com

or other senior Instructors of the late Mike Inay under

http://www.inayaneskrima.com

At least there are only 2 groups after the death of Suro Mike Inay.

Contact them both and see who is in your area or visit semiars of both groups. Both groups are serious practitioners of the FMA and carry on the legacy of Suro Mike Inay. Both are well worth having a look at.

Best regards from Germany

Diete Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis
(and close friend of the late Suro Mike Inay)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I only attended one afternoon seminar, six or so years ago (hence my terse answers), and so Mr. Knüttel's knowledge is likely to be more complete and more current in this regard. I had seen both ideas about blocking that Mr. Knüttel mentions in various FMA systems so nothing was really new to me, though some things were different from Modern Arnis in particular. But I would agree that Mr/ Inay had a well thought out training system for this program. It did make use as I recall of natural reactions but otherwise was a fairly standard "pass the blade" approach.

I certainly don't mean to sound negative about it or its value. Am I correct in recalling that this, like the PSNA system, was directed first and foremost at law enforcement offciers?

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I certainly don't mean to sound negative about it or its value. Am I correct in recalling that this, like the PSNA system, was directed first and foremost at law enforcement offciers?

Hello Arnisador,

you are correct.
Especially the reative knife program was taught to police instructors all over the United States, so that they taught this program to the police officers. It was designed for law enfores officers to cope with the first blade attack. All techniques are kept simple and all movements try to follow a very similar or even the same pattern for easier automatisation, so that also policemen with no 20 years of martial arts training experience were able to use and apply it.

You were also right with the direct strike and approach with the PSNA. If this was first or mainly taught to the police I don´t know, but due to the good contacts of Suro Mike Inay to the law enforcement it is quite likely. But, I cannot say this for sure.

Regards

Diete Knüttel

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A while back someone asked about Rick Tucci's (?) tapes. From what I saw I thought they were pretty good, in that if you have studied Gruo Dan Inosanto's system than he lays it out in a logical progression. Watching them I noticed alot of the drills and things I had done over the years at his seminars and the gaps were filled in between the drills for me. However if your not doing that system than they were pretty decent (good quality).

A couple of tapes that weren't mentioned that people might like.

Remy- theres a two tape series of a live seminar with David NG (forgive my spelling if it's wrong), Rolland, and Remy filmed around 2000 on Sinawali applications and a little Tapi Tapi. That I bought from Video Quest a couple of years ago. Excellent quality and content.

And George Dillman has a tape of a live seminar called "Go with the Flow" with Remy and Wally Jay that was pretty good as well. I don't have this one so I don't know what number it is but it was filmed around 1990. A neighbor had it and loaned it to me.

After seeing GM Toaboda at a seminar I bought some of his series and they are good as well. It helped me to see a little bit more of the Modern Arnis.

One other tape that I thought was good in that I hadn't seen this type of material before and that was on a "Wind and Rock" (?) tape of (put out by Joesph Simonet) (?) of a seminar with Chris (Something) it's the 3rd tape of the series. He is a Doce Pares and Escrido (?) instructor, his demo at the end of it is (was to me at least) quite impressive.

Sorry but I'm typing this away from my house so I don't have access to look up and spell the names right. I mean no offense.

For those who bought the old series of GM Remy's, the Black Belt series, or the new ones from Jeff D. Which one's are better?

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
All of the Professor's Tapes are excellent in my opinion. They teach great basics into some advanced techniques.
(Highlty recommended!) The original six & the 3 BB magazine tapes.

Peace

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen all of the tapes of the Professor's his original series and the BB tapes, I asked the question to see the veiws of others.

However the tapes of Jeff D.'s I was asking about are the ones that the Professor filmed not the ones Jeff did.

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Your correct Palusut, thanks.

I've only seen a couple of the tapes of the series of 15 that the proffesor released before he Passed away (R.I.P) & what i saw was INCREDIBLE to say the least.

He is so incredibly fluid, relaxed & on the videos when he would demonstrate a technique, he would be looking away from his opponent & talking to the camera & at the same time, disarming & throwing his partner. Awesome!

He did that at a seminar in Chicago & that's what hooked me on Modern Arnis.

Peace

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Boar Man

For those who bought the old series of GM Remy's, the Black Belt series, or the new ones from Jeff D. Which one's are better?

I like the old ones best. The newer ones do go over a lot of the cane sparring traps and the like that RP was teaching in his last years so they add to the collection. The batch, however, have a ton of material in them and in my opinion, form the bulk of the system. The Black Belt magazine tapes were a toss off and probably done because Black Belt has good distribution.
Yours,
Dan Anderson

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
I like the old ones best. The newer ones do go over a lot of the cane sparring traps and the like that RP was teaching in his last years so they add to the collection. The batch, however, have a ton of material in them and in my opinion, form the bulk of the system. The Black Belt magazine tapes were a toss off and probably done because Black Belt has good distribution.
Yours,
Dan Anderson

I agree with Tim and Dan. The original 7... the first 6 + the 7th filmed at Irwin Carmicael's in 1990 encompass what I believe to be the core of the system. The series from blackbelt had a lot of Balintawak influenced material that leads into tapi-tapi. There's some good stuff there, it's just not the meat of the system... the term "parlor tricks" comes to mind. I can't comment on the Delaney tapes. Haven't seen them and probably won't... financial reasons mainly.

Good tapes... Kelly Worden's Natural Spirit Kuntao tape is pretty good in terms of line familiarization and functional movement. Good material, but the transition from one section of the tape to another is a little odd... but over all it was quite good.

Tim Kashino

OP
L

LAKANPOPOT

Originally posted by John J
Yes, I have all the titles from Mandirigma Productions. The LSA series offers a good overview of the system which includes solo baston locking, disarms, empty-hand and the combat drill, Bigay-Tama. It includes GM Lema, Maestro Elmer Ybanez & Maestro Vic Sanchez.

Another company Lionheart (also no longer operating) released LSA videos with Maestro Elmer Ybanez. The participants demonstrate the breakdown & progression of Espada y Daga, the use of Payong(sp?) which I interpret to be a variation of Sumbrada among other things. On a separate title (Full Contact Stickfighting ), you can get a glimpse of Maestro Ybanez & LSA students sparring.

>also on my illustrisimo video they are advertising the yamboa arnis taken from the book in the 50's who demonstrates this system???

I don't recall the Mandirigma or Unique releases to have included Yambao. Can you clarify? However, with permission of the Yambao family, the book "Mga Karunungan Sa Larong Arnis will be released in English by Master Reynaldo S. Galang.

John J,
I am looking for Elmer Ybanez tapes produced by lionheart. Do you know where I can find this tape?

Lakanpopot

Latest Discussions