Global Kenpo Council

G

Gary Crawford

I would like to see a governing body for the purpose of competition,after all competition is the best promoter of Martial arts.With that said,a word of caution should be in order.Look what has happened to teakwondo.The USTU has become the dominating U.S.body with the WTF as the world body.Neither one of the organizations will interfere with individual school operations what-so-ever.What they have done is establish a central testing and rank registration body-that part is good.What bad they have done IMHO is to make competion so important that most TKD schools only teach what is required in competition.Kenpo can have one advantage over them,for the most part,we do not have any orientals that outrank us MA wise or politically,so that BIG problem won't even exist.We do not want such an organization to "water down" the art of Kenpo in any way like TKD has become.We do not want competition rules that take away anything from teaching real self defense.Creation of a world or national governing body can be a very good thing though.Rules can be established that won't take anything from the ART.To do this,rules must be agreed apon and strickly enforced.No bowing to presure from anybody.I'd love to be able to enter or coach a student in local competitions that will qualify for state competions that winners will qualify for national comps.and on and on.America has a great potenial for comp. and literally thousands of willing competitors.There already are some good tournaments going,but the number of potential competitors are too small.That's one thing we have to face when we think about what do we do to increase enrolement,what are potential students/parents looking for,what other arts are they looking at and what are we loosing students to.I hate that we have to consider the business end of things,but we all have bills to pay and we have to be able to attract students on a consistant basis to be able to keep going.Ok,enough of my rambling,let's all research the most sucessfull MA organization there is,The USTU,figure out what they do right,and figure out how we can do it better!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
If we could develop such a vehicle...... who should be in it, what would you have each do, how would you structrue it, for what purpose, what would be the curriculum flexability (if any), and how would you start it.........
:asian:
To answer this at all I'd first have to ask what the over-riding purpose or mission for such an entity would be in the first place.
Honestly, I wouldn't see a need.

Your Brother
John

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't think there should be a "Global Kenpo Council". Why do we need one? How would we benefit from it? What would be the drawbacks? There isn't a Global Barber Shop Coucil, is there? Could it be that the men out there who practice cutting hair are confident enough in their art that they don't need "Global" leadership? :asian:

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
...after all competition is the best promoter of Martial arts.

disagree

Gary Crawford said:
...for the most part,we do not have any orientals that outrank us MA wise or politically

huh?, and what else "no irish need apply"?

Gary Crawford said:
...We do not want such an organization to "water down" the art of Kenpo in any way like TKD has become

organizations don't water down the arts, people do

i'd really be concerned about joining any organization that would have me as a member...

pete.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to amplify on my previous comments. I think that this is a great Idea but you have to come up with a mission statement, and stick to it. You can't try and replace any organization. The true organizations will continue to thrive with or without you. I also think if the GKC is worth while the real organizations will eventually join. As far as governing curriculum and content among the schools the GKC will not be able to do that because that would go against all of the different organizations. There for you could let all of the different offshoots of EPAK into the Organization.
:asian:
Thanks

M

MisterMike

Bill Lear said:
I don't think there should be a "Global Kenpo Council". Why do we need one? How would we benefit from it? What would be the drawbacks? There isn't a Global Barber Shop Coucil, is there? Could it be that the men out there who practice cutting hair are confident enough in their art that they don't need "Global" leadership? :asian:

The weak usually find strength in groups. It's a herd mentality but never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Large groups have more people therefor more $$$ which also equals power. That's why the rest of us have to be the loudmouth critics.

Any group that comes together should be exposed for what it is. Some are good, some are bad.

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow global, I never thought of that. It would be very cool. Meeting people from all around the world. But wouldn't it be a problem because who would be the President? What orginazation would head it, so on and so forth?

K

Kenpo Yahoo

Interesting..... A highly diverse group of Leaders that run their own organizations, but pay dues to be a part of a giant conglomerate who's only real benefit appears to be the ability to legitimize someone's rank. Why is this the only thing they can do? Well, they can't exactly put out manuals, because that would mean that there would be a standardized curriculum. How do you expect to standardize a curriculum among organizations that already have detailed curriculums in place? Besides the only way to get everyone to agree is to use vague generalities in every area of the art just to include the various philosophical viewpoints. Isn't that what Ed Parker did to begin with? Didn't he sell a very general curriculum to the MASSES? Before you answer think about this: If he didn't, then the techniques wouldn't be "just ideas or vehicles" they would be THE WAY you do things.

By the way, who would decide which people are legitimate enough to vote on legitimacy? What happens if the people who are found illegitimate do not abide by the Global council's decree? Does the Global council then engage in slanderous campaigning to "out" this horrible wretch? Can they impose sanctions or fines? Maybe they should develop a SWAT team to go close down schools they don't like. Screw free enterprise, let's start our own little mafia.

An organization like the GKC would be about as useful and effective as the United Nations. Sure they can posture and say a lot of tough things, but in the end the grand promises of Utopian splendor would be anything but. Such an organization would trip over itself and would only be as powerful as its strongest backer. Which, in this case, doesn't necessarily mean the best teachers, curriculum, quality, etc., rather it would be about which organization could market and or promote the best ( in other words $$$$$$)

By the way didn't we see someone try something like this just a little while ago? I think there was like a Homecoming Camp or something that everyone was making a big to do about. I also seem to remember someone ranting about how all of us that thought it would fail were stupid, and how we are all eating our words now. Well I would just like to ask, what happened to that grand utopia? Seems like they have spent more time dealing with legal issues than anything else. So much for Utopia.

As for the Kenpo Senior Council, I thought that was a joke. I didn't know they even existed, until just a few posts ago. Shows you how influential they actually are.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Kenpo Yahoo,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for showing how someone attempting something positive is an absolute waste of time. I see the errors of positive thinking now! Gee, and here I was all misguided and thinking the Seniors deserved some respect, what was I thinking of? Thank you for setting me back on the path of negativity.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Embrace the DARK SIDE Seig, is this an unusual post by Kenpo Yahoo? Let those who have those opinions go their merry way, besmirching the memories of those who tried to make something better, and keep the flame alive.

The reality bites in a lot of ways, but it is way too late to call it back, and if positive reframing does not work, there are always those who can say "I told you so" ... and everyone knows how most people feel about those who like to say "I told you so." Kenpo Yahoo finds his own level, you don't need to join him down there. I understand the sentiment however and respect it.

-Michael

K

Kenpo Yahoo

I see the errors of positive thinking now!

I never said you couldn't think positively, but if you want your Global council to work the aforementioned issues will need to be addressed. What suggestions do you have for dealing with inter-organization cooperation? What would be the benefits associated with such a conglomerate? Do the benefits if any really warrant the need for such an organization? Some people have mentioned they would like to see the Council and subsequent organization set up like a government. So how do you keep such a large group of instructors with their checks and balances, from turning into a Martial Bureaucracy? No one said you couldn't be positive, but maybe you should be a little more realistic.

Gee, and here I was all misguided and thinking the Seniors deserved some respect, what was I thinking of?

I never said seniors don't deserve respect, but how do you get so many Alpha male leaders to agree enough to get anything done? Again what would be the benefits of having such an organization? Nobody has mentioned why such an organization is necessary or even more beneficial than your average association. Really the only thing that anyone has said is that it would be "COOL."

K

Kenpo Yahoo

Let those who have those opinions go their merry way, besmirching the memories of those who tried to make something better, and keep the flame alive.

The reality bites in a lot of ways, but it is way too late to call it back, and if positive reframing does not work, there are always those who can say "I told you so" ... and everyone knows how most people feel about those who like to say "I told you so." Kenpo Yahoo finds his own level, you don't need to join him down there. I understand the sentiment however and respect it.
Michael

Wait a minute now..... when the IKKA was trying to get their crap together they spent forever talking about all the grand things that were going to happen. A few of us wished them luck but openly stated our doubts in their ability to pull it off. Shortly after the homecoming camp everyone was trying to rub our noses in the fact that they had one successful camp. Well I'm here to tell you that one point on a graph does not indicate a trend, a fact that was brought to light shortly thereafter. A few months after the camp we begin to hear about all the problems that the IKKA is experiencing, now there doesn't even seem to be an IKKA (at least for the moment). So yes, you have to listen to me say I told you so, because I did call it.

From a realistic standpoint how do you propose to make the conglomerate or "BIG KENPO" actually work? What are the benefits of such an organization? Do these benefits actually warrant the creation of such an org.? Most of the big name instructors already teach seminars that are open to the public, and you can print up the EPAK curriculum straight off the web. So other than testing what is the benefit of such an org? Quality control can only be implemented in those schools that become members of BIG KENPO. The crappy McSchools that are just in business to make money and don't care about quality aren't going to join such an org, this would take money out of their pockets. So how is quality control a benefit?

I think it would be great to see the kenpo world gather around the campfire hold hands and sing koom-by-yah, but there are some real questions that would need to be answered, and issues that would need to be looked at in an objective manner.

Seig, I'm sorry you had to stoop down to my level (right... :moon: :2xbird: ). I'm also sorry that you have neglected to answer any of the important questions, like how to make it work, or what the real benefits might be. I'm not keeping you from your dream of reunification, I'm just stating my opinion which is based on what I've seen in the past. If you thought that this was such a great idea, you wouldn't have been so easily dissuaded.

By the way if you want to be pissed at me because the Easter Bunny isn't real you can go ahead and do that too. I didn't kill him or anything, but then again I didn't kill the GKC either. Oh well.......

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Could someone tell me why this is so bad. I thought that Kenpo people were suposed to be like a family. Isn't that what Mr. Parker wanted. I could be wrong but I do not understand why this is such bad idea for some people. Meeting new people from different countries. THe only problem I would see is who would be the head of the orgaization, so on and so forfth.

R

rmcrobertson

Whenever I read this argument, I become glad that I have a back yard, a lot of videos and books, and enough knowledge to keep me busy and learning for the rest of my life.

Has anybody even noticed what happens every time some org like this gets ballyhooed? Taken into account what has happened even in the very traditional Asian "national," orgs?

It's a good thing, as far as I'm concerned, that nobody will be able to get such a Thing together.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am not part of any organization and I would like to see ONE organization (I personally don't care what it is called IKKA, GKC, high kicking society what ever). I will support the GKC if their agenda offers something diffrent but good for Kenpo. Right now Most credible Associations or Organizations are mostly the same to the students. It mostly depends on where you live as to what organization you belong to. Just to Cause more contoversy here are a list of my credible organizations not in any particular order:

LTKKA
AKKI
John Sepulvada org
UKS
IKKA (under ED Parker Jr.) (it will be back on its feet and better in the near future)
IKKO

These are the Major ones in my mind.
Now that doesn't mean that there aren't great instructors in and out of these organizations. However I think that we are missing the Key word: ORGANIZATION If we were organized life would be much better. That is why I would be in favor of a GKC.
:partyon:

Thanks

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
parkerkarate said:
I don't mean to be rude but what belt are you?
I am not sure that the question is relevant; state your objection or arguement, and don't try to lengthen your own line by cutting another's short. While I do not always agree with White Tiger (or anyone else for that matter) his history of posts and depth of knowledge appear to match his profile. Not everyone has the same lineage or perspective.

Saying "I don't mean to be rude", is a lot like saying "with all due respect" then slamming someone. At least it appears to be in this context. Please correct me if I am wrong, but opinions can be criticized, without attacking the person. Saying "... what belt are you?", without qualifiers is attacking the person in some ways, not just his/her opinion or lack of experience or depth of knowledge.

-Michael
Just Keepin' the Peace.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
Let me start by saying that I am not part of any organization and I would like to see ONE organization (I personally don't care what it is called IKKA, GKC, high kicking society what ever). I will support the GKC if their agenda offers something diffrent but good for Kenpo. Right now Most credible Associations or Organizations are mostly the same to the students. It mostly depends on where you live as to what organization you belong to. Just to Cause more contoversy here are a list of my credible organizations not in any particular order:

LTKKA
AKKI
John Sepulvada org
UKS
IKKA (under ED Parker Jr.) (it will be back on its feet and better in the near future)
IKKO

These are the Major ones in my mind.
Now that doesn't mean that there aren't great instructors in and out of these organizations. However I think that we are missing the Key word: ORGANIZATION If we were organized life would be much better. That is why I would be in favor of a GKC.
:partyon:

Thanks
. Hey, the organization I belong to isn't listed. I guess that makes it incredible. :partyon: :uhyeah:
Sean

Latest Discussions