Global Kenpo Council

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
One man's legit 7th degree, is another man's fraud whom doesn't own enough schools to justify his or her rank. I don't know, its never going to happen, so why worry about the details? Sean

Legitimized rank IS a concern and challenge today. Now, who says that someone has to "own" a number of studios to justify rank???? You never know what the future may hold... so you can't say "it's never gonna happen" to anything. No one's worrying about anything. Just conversing on a topic that I was curious on what others feelings and comments are...

Have a coke and a smile.... :uhyeah:

:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Legitimized rank IS a concern and challenge today. Now, who says that someone has to "own" a number of studios to justify rank???? You never know what the future may hold... so you can't say "it's never gonna happen" to anything. No one's worrying about anything. Just conversing on a topic that I was curious on what others feelings and comments are...

Have a coke and a smile.... :uhyeah:

Last summer a certain DKL listed the requirements for levels of Black belt on the Kenponet. You should check it out.
Sean

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Mr Tatum is still alive and kicking.

Chicago Green Dragon

Gary Crawford said:
Is Al Tracy still alive?Larry Tatum?

C

Chicago Green Dragon

You have brought up some very good points that need to be looked at.

Thank You

Chicago Green Dragon

Seig said:
If I were to seriously consider such an endeavor, I would have to look to the model of our government. There are very specific guidelines. First off, like any governing body, a constitution must be written and ratified. Once a basic framework was in place, then the leaders should start being elected. Again, I would use our government as the model with a president, vice president,(regardless of organization) and a congress. The congress also has the sub-division of Senators (regardless of organization) and Representatives (X number allowed from each organization with a sliding scale depending on size and geographics). Each of these offices is an elected official. Some of the whole governing body, others from their area of residence. Each's term is also governed to a set amount of time before they can be re-elected or ousted. In a situation like this, were I writing the draft of the constitution, I would spell out that the President and Vice President must be from different organizations and at least a rank of 7th degree(legitimate). While in office and presiding over anything official, no actual rank designator would be worn as it would be counterproductive and irrelevant. I would further stipulate that each Senator be at least 5th degree and each representative at least a second degree. Each to be elected by Kenpo practitioners. The poll keepers would not be allowed to run for office while holding those positions. With a governing body in place, committees could be formed that could look into issues of curriculuum. Once a committee has reached a resolution it is presented to the "House" and then the "Senate", etc. AS with anything as large as Kenpo, there must be checks and balances to keep the whole thing from becoming lopsided or just an extension of someone else's organization. One of the things that would need to be addressed early on in terms of curriculuum is not wether 32-24-16 is more valid, but what constitutes quality of technique. Sub-Commitees for promotions could also be convened, world wide. This would allow a common standard to be set forth, regardless of curriculuum.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow...this sounds SOOOOO familiar...

Dennis: What mission do you propose for this council? How would it be different from the AKSC and all of the other organizations?

If we know what you are looking for, we could help with the nominations.

And...how would you structure a counciul diverse enough to be thoroughly inclusive that could agree on enough stuff to actually be productive?

C

Chicago Green Dragon

I'd like to make a suggestion.

What if one purpose was to validate.

There are so many associations and schools out there. Some are real and others are not so real. If the association could help to bring credit to people who are real so that current students and would be students can have some form of re assurance in who they are studying with.

When Mr Parker was alive there werent a million and one different Kenpo Associations. There were a few but it seems to have exploded now with 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th generation students teaching.

Chicago Green Dragon

Old Fat Kenpoka said:

Dennis: What mission do you propose for this council? How would it be different from the AKSC and all of the other organizations?

And...how would you structure a counciul diverse enough to be thoroughly inclusive that could agree on enough stuff to actually be productive?

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe we could use our current rank structure.

YOu musst be a 8th or above for President elected by all certified members. That way the Governing body goes in the direction of the mass. You would have to pay annual dues and throw at least one huge seminar and a tournament a year. I would like to see this opened to all Kenpo stylist that are decendents (for lack of a better word) of Ed Parker. We could set it up with our goverment as a model (but I don't want to pay taxes ha ha). The Board would also offer testing. Each association that belongs to this board would actually have the same status as like one of our states. Just some thoughts.

Thanks

Rick

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Rick

It would be nice if this could be open to all Kenpo practitioners but do you think the current politics could pose a problem in setting up of the kenpo government ?

Chicago Green Dragon

Rick Wade said:
Maybe we could use our current rank structure.

YOu musst be a 8th or above for President elected by all certified members. That way the Governing body goes in the direction of the mass. You would have to pay annual dues and throw at least one huge seminar and a tournament a year. I would like to see this opened to all Kenpo stylist that are decendents (for lack of a better word) of Ed Parker. We could set it up with our goverment as a model (but I don't want to pay taxes ha ha). The Board would also offer testing. Each association that belongs to this board would actually have the same status as like one of our states. Just some thoughts.

Thanks

Rick

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely that is what would be so good about it. Th governing body would take care of minor problems like that. If there were enough associations in this body people would want to join after awhile. The governing body would settle these problems.

just so pasing thoughts.

Rick.

O

Old Guy

Goldendragon7 said:
Another great comment but no names to start the list with. :idunno: :rolleyes: :lookie:

I could start with Huk as "encyclopedia". I would need some help with some of the other areas since I can think of several others that fall into some of the other catagories, like Paul Mills and a few others for "speed".

Cheers,
OG

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:

Wow is right!!!!!!

I was just curious as to what people would be interested in if such and animal were to exist and be functional. The AKSC is there but status quo. I don't quite know what the ambition or goals are for the group at this time.

I know there is several items on the table which include the clarification, recording, improvement, expansion, of areas like....

Communication between Instructors and groups
A detailed historical outline
Kenpo Brotherhood issues
Kenpo Traditions (old and new)
Ranking issues
Curriculum issues
Insurance issues
Business interests
Tournament competition
Instructional Seminars and Camps
Certification issues
A Global Kenpo Council of Knowledgeable Seniors to assist
any Group with issues pertaining to our Art of Kenpo
and more......

Who, what, when, why, how, are all questions that need to be answered, but so far there have been a lot of good ideas thrown out to think of and to organize thoughts on. I am not looking for anything specific as these questions will need much group discussion and thought. To make a council like this work it takes lots of work but it all starts with ideas. I have my own personal ideas, which fundamentally parallel with the AKSC, but getting the machine moving is another story. I will take lots of help, patients and teamwork I think, if it is to ever become a reality and become a group with enough diverse groups that are willing to work together for the good of Kenpo. So at this point, any suggestions and ideas are appreciated.... what ever they are. I hope that answers your question.

K

Kenpomachine

I would nominate the people in "The Journey". I think that's a good point to start from, as they were regarded as one of the most active members in their generations.

Also, I'd see it more as a wise men council that a government following the rules of election of the USA. And I wouldn't do it proportionate to the number of members in a certain association, but more like one association, one vote, going from local areas to regional to national to international. This way, we have a local council for local affairs, then the regional council, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Where I work, when we are training a new guy, we always send then to a differant shift to get certified. It really helps to make sure that nothing was missed. As a trainer, you know what you taught them, so you won't really dig for an in depth answer. A tester would.

We could have a section that does all the testing in their area, or have certified testers in regions.

The organization should req active participation in their forum. At least read the news once a month. In this forum will be regionals, seminars, questions, a password protected area for the governing body. Use of the "submit a poll" could be a powerful tool. :partyon:

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kenpomachine said:
I would nominate the people in "The Journey". I think that's a good point to start from, as they were regarded as one of the most active members in their generations.

What chu talkin' bout Willis. A NOT SO GOOD idea is to start with people in the Journey.

Dark Lord

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
There should be a board of the highest ranking legit kenpo blackbelts. That would appoint reps in the various clubs/studios around the world. The GKC would be a organization that provides training help, worldwide competetions, material certifications etc.. That is operated as a "business" to assist trainees of all levels. Using fees collected through dues, seminars, manuals, etc..

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
donald said:
There should be a board of the highest ranking legit kenpo blackbelts. The GKC would be a organization that provides training help, worldwide competetions, material certifications etc.. That is operated as a "business" to assist trainees of all levels. Using fees collected through dues, seminars, manuals, etc..

Isn't that what existing organizations do?

- Ceicei

Bill Smith

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mr. C, I think it would be a great dream if it was ever to happen. I think everyone in American Kenpo wants or would like to have a unified association or council. The one think that would get in the way of it happening is "egos". To benefit off of every Kenpo seniors teaching would make a well rounded Kenpo stylist. I was always taught that everyone in some point in their training learns and knows the base technique but everyone executes it differently. That's where the egos issue comes into play. It's not "I do that tech different than you or mine is better" but it is the signature of you that comes out not whos is better.

A good start is to have a group meeting with the seniors to see if a common goal in American Kenpo could be done. Find out what everyone thoughts, good and bad are and build from there.

If this makes no sence (I'm even confused) don't hold it against me. Also, didn't mean to anger or upset anyone. Just my two cents.

Mr. C, sorry I missed your call. I wasn't in when you called and saw it on my caller ID when I got home. I'll give you a call during the week.

Yours in Kenpo,
Bill Smith

K

Kenpomachine

Dark Kenpo Lord said:
What chu talkin' bout Willis. A NOT SO GOOD idea is to start with people in the Journey.

Dark Lord

That would be only while the local councils worked their representatives from down up. But in the end, it is the practitioners that elect their representatives. And that's also assuming we have enough common sense to chose the best representative and not the one that promises the most.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think it would be a good idea to have a council that had any oversight over anything. I think there are too many differences, even from school to school within the same organization, to facilitate central control. There are many schools out there teaching American Kenpo that derives from Ed Parker, but is not strictly EPAK. And there are many schools out there teaching Kenpo that didn't come from Parker at all, would they be allowed membership? I think there was a time when this could have worked, and that time has passed.

However, I also desire a unified Kenpo association, and I think one could still be achieved. I think an association similar to NAPMA would be a great benefit to us all. Most of you know NAPMA, basically they charge minimal yearly fees and give you tons of business assistance and advice. They don't have any actual control that over what you teach or do though. I think a Kenpo association that operated in this fashion would be great. They could still have high ranking Kenpo practitioners in positions of power within the association. They could give technical and business advice, and sponsor events. They could be a binding force within the Kenpo community without trying to control the kenpo community. A guide, rather than a dictator. From there, it would be up to them to either prosper through success and hard work, or fail like so many others.

-Rob

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Isn't that what existing organizations do?

- Ceicei

Not in my experience. What I received was a nice certificate, and a couple of decent patches. To be fair. I must mention that I was sent a news letter every now, and then, but even that was usually very out of date. Much like some of the "web sites" listed at various cyber places. I would like the aforementioned GKC. To be a real hands(see my previou post) on outfit. Anything less would be a waste of time.

Latest Discussions