GI custom made by seamstress

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hereā€™s another thought about keikogi: have them custom made by a seamstress. All mine are custom made from a cotton material I chose and I even have hidden flashy flourishes sewn into the inside for my viewing pleasure! A keikogi would cost me Ā£50 including the material. My seamstress just took an old jacket apart to precisely workout their construction (kimono style for Iaido). They are great and I have slightly heavier versions for gradings lighter versions for warmer weather.

View attachment 30719View attachment 30720
View attachment 30721

View attachment 30722
I copied the above from another thread but I love it. Any information about having this done? poster said cost was 50 pounds sterling ($64 USD) done in England I would guess. probably some time ago. Thoughts?

Guess pictures didn't come over, sorry. post #50 in "Polycotton vs Cotton Gi" thread.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I copied the above from another thread but I love it. Any information about having this done? poster said cost was 50 pounds sterling ($64 USD) done in England I would guess. probably some time ago. Thoughts?

Guess pictures didn't come over, sorry. post #50 in "Polycotton vs Cotton Gi" thread.
Don't get too hung up on costumes. A gi is just work clothes. None of them make you hit harder.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't get too hung up on costumes. A gi is just work clothes. None of them make you hit harder.
They're like running shoes. You wanna run 12 miles in 2 hours? You go ahead and buy the Sketchers if you want; I'll spend the extra money on the Brooks.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A well-fitting, durable keikogi means you can concentrate on the art, not on pulling a seam out of a bodily crevice. I think looking smart, clean and ready for action just sets you up. But if youā€™re of a relatively normal physique, this should be obtainable ā€˜off the pegā€™. If youā€™re physique is outwith the top of the ā€˜normal distribution curveā€™, then customisation of an off the peg keikogi is a good option. I went for bespoke because in the U.K., Iaido keikogi are usually made of plastic which is hot and sweaty and I simply wanted something made of cool cotton.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ignore these prima donnas. They just like to look pretty when they twirl around doing fancy kicks and such. You can do good karate in a $30 Tiger Claw. ;)

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have an even better idea: you do what you want to do. While the price of certain brands and/or custom tailoring can be higher than a gi that can be found on Amazon with next day shipping, I can assure that the price isn't really high when you look at the bigger picture. You've probably had bar tabs higher than the price of Hirota or Shureido's most expensive gi.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an even better idea: you do what you want to do. While the price of certain brands and/or custom tailoring can be higher than a gi that can be found on Amazon with next day shipping, I can assure that the price isn't really high when you look at the bigger picture. You've probably had bar tabs higher than the price of Hirota or Shureido's most expensive gi.
Is it normal for people to have bar tabs reach over $200?

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not a normal everyday tab, but depending on what you're drinking or if you're treating a friend or two, it can definitely get there. I haven't gone out to drink in a decade, but I remember one Johnnie Walker Black Label on the rocks costing me $25 the last time. So you can see how quickly that can add up.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ignore these prima donnas. They just like to look pretty when they twirl around doing fancy kicks and such. You can do good karate in a $30 Tiger Claw. ;)
Unfortunately, for BJJ or Judo you have to spend more. A Karate gi will shred after the first few classes. You have to spend at least $60-80 for a quality gi that will hold up to the rigors of grappling.

But there are still plenty of fancy options running $100-200 for the grappling prima donnas who want to look pretty while spinning around doing fancy berimbolos and such.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
But there are still plenty of fancy options running $100-200 for the grappling prima donnas who want to look pretty while spinning around doing fancy berimbolos and such.
I started with Sanabul and had to replace it, after I discovered that I had a rat in the house that chewed through the gi top. When I had to replace it, I found that Gold offers a discount on GOVX. If you're eligible GOVX, you can get a Gold for the same price as a Sanabul. There was no way I could turn that down.

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just figured out the pictures I tried to post in the start of this thread were there actually. They did come along. To get to them you first click the link that said "Click to Expand." Then you will see four links with numbers they each go to a different picture, click to see one. Who knew? I am still learning. Thanks

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just figured out the picture I tried to post in the start of this thread were there actually. They did come along. To get to them you first click the link that dsaid "Cilco to Expand." Then you will see four links with numbers they each go to a different picture, click to see one. Who knew? I am still learning. Thanks
Yeah, like weā€™ll fall for that old trick!šŸ˜‰

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're drinking.
Some years ago, I was a wine snob. And I was always a particular fan of Port. I once paid $180 for a snifter of 120 year old Port. Stuff that can sell for thousands per bottle. I don't regret it in the least.

Of course, that was before radiotherapy destroyed my taste buds. Nowadays, I can't tell the difference between a $100 and a $5 bottle.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gi? I never gave them all that much thought. My favorite is a rather old cotton canvas gi that was black; now it's just gray. It's probably 30 years old if it's a day old. I tend to joke and tease a lot and over the years I've adorned it with martial arts related patches. I call it my NASCAR gi, but so far no beer patches. My old judo gi is still in great shape and I've been given a few gi over the years and most are plain. I haven't bought one in a very, very long time and all are "off the rack". No idea what one would cost now.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't bought one in a very, very long time and all are "off the rack".

IMO, "custom made" is a luxury for people who are in decent shape, but those who are overweight should give it serious consideration if they're willing to spend the extra money.

Yes, you can buy a bigger one and hem the sleeves and pants accordingly. The problem is that the bigger gi was designed for someone taller, so the problem of an overly long jacket and a crotch that hangs too low isn't solved.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my 'younger moments'. Back in say around 1983 or so, I had a 'crew' of friends who regularly went to the big city one county over on the weekends to party and hopefully find a few female companions to join in the fun.
One night a bet broke out as to who could drink the most Long Island Teas. They were $5 a pop at the time. I personally drank over $100 worth and bought over $100 more of them, so yeah, it gets rather easy to blow $200 drinking when all your reason has went out the door.
This was Way before uber or thinking about have a designated driver. I don't remember how, but we all made it home just fine, although as I remember it, one or two of my buddies opted for rides somewhere else with a female companion.
Good times.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my 'younger moments'. Back in say around 1983 or so, I had a 'crew' of friends who regularly went to the big city one county over on the weekends to party and hopefully find a few female companions to join in the fun.
One night a bet broke out as to who could drink the most Long Island Teas. They were $5 a pop at the time. I personally drank over $100 worth and bought over $100 more of them, so yeah, it gets rather easy to blow $200 drinking when all your reason has went out the door.
This was Way before uber or thinking about have a designated driver. I don't remember how, but we all made it home just fine, although as I remember it, one or two of my buddies opted for rides somewhere else with a female companion.
Good times.
I think weā€™ve found out why you can no longer deep squat! šŸ„‚šŸ·šŸ„ƒšŸøšŸ¹šŸ¾

Latest Discussions