Shureido?

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anyone know wher these are made? using Japanese cotton? I have been looking on the internet, however, my internet skills are pretty poor. and it's late for me. mind went to sleep earlier. thanks

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

As for the questions you're asking, I'm not sure that the answers to those have much meaning to you at your current point in your martial arts journey (i.e., what do you know about or what have you experienced with Japanese cotton for you to even be able factor this into your decision making?). The information certainly didn't mean much to me, until after I ordered my first Japanese made gi. Just know that they're really nice - you've seen senior students wearing them - and anyone who has ever worn them will swear by them.

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why is Japenese cotton better. what is the difference? I probably won't understand it. been that my whole life asked questions I didn't understand the answer when I got it. LOL

Currently I am wearing the free GI that the Dojo gave me when I started. Sun brand which I see on line for about $20.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why is Japenese cotton better. what is the difference? I probably won't understand it. been that my whole life asked questions I didn't understand the answer when I got it. LOL

Currently I am wearing the free GI that the Dojo gave me when I started. Sun brand which I see on line for about $20.
Sun makes a great first or entry level uniform. We have used them for decades, purchased through Choi Brothers out of Chicago.
I am by no means a cotton expert, but I do know most of the cotton grown in the US is Pima cotton. It has the whitest natural color and the longest fibers.
When I am deeply searching uniform fabrics, I look for the percentage of Supima cotton, which the highest grade Pima cotton. There is an official Supima logo you can find.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

In my experience, if you were to try two medium weight gis - say, one made with Japanese No. 11 cotton and a non-Japanese 10 oz canvas, the former breathes and keeps its shape much better. And it's also stronger.

On another note, I am willing to give Arawaza a try. Arawaza is Canadian, but they advertise "technology" (AAir, and such) in their products - and I see that their Black Diamond tops many lists on the internet of the highest rated kata gis. Maybe their technology beats Japanese cotton. I'm shedding some weight, so I'll be in the market soon.

Reactions: EJC

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, if you were to try two medium weight gis - say, one made with Japanese No. 11 cotton and a non-Japanese 10 oz canvas, the former breathes and keeps its shape much better. And it's also stronger.

On another note, I am willing to give Arawaza a try. Arawaza is Canadian, but they advertise "technology" (AAir, and such) in their products - and I see that their Black Diamond tops many lists on the internet of the highest rated kata gis. Maybe their technology beats Japanese cotton. I'm shedding some weight, so I'll be in the market soon.
Canvas is a rather generic term. It can be made from cotton, linen, hemp, or even PVC. You really have to identify the base material.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shureido was the standard when I was training with my instructor. They are a very good uniform but I always had trouble with the price and we used to have to wait three months to get them. There are so many other dogi makers that are excellent. I used to wear a Century gi the Iron man, that was made of what they called "duck canvas". This was a heavy weight uniform. I really liked those back in the 90s. Easy to get at a good price.
The first thing a beginner should know is that uniforms come in different weights. A heavy weight gi is sometimes the best option but sometimes not.
Second thing is that the material of different brands have a different feel. I really loved the Meijin gi I used to have. It was incredibly soft. But man it would show dirt and stains. My art is very hands on with lots of grabs and sweat and dirt would show up really bad. I stopped wearing Meijin for that reason.
Third is fit. Some people can not wear specific uniforms just because of the fit.
Also in this category, like all clothes every brand fits differently. Ordering on line can be hit or miss on the size. Lots of times I order a size 4 and size 5 just to make sure I get something that fits.
I got an old judo gi size 4 that the top just about reaches my knees in length. I also have a Venom gi size 4 that the top barely reaches my belt. It's so short I can't wear it but yet the pants are perfect.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Canvas is a rather generic term. It can be made from cotton, linen, hemp, or even PVC. You really have to identify the base material.
No mainstream brand of karate gi is made of linen, hemp, or PVC. As I'm not playing to pendants, I didn't feel a need to specify.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually Datsusara makes their gis out of hemp canvas.
And when you googled "hemp gis" to try to help HighKick out, you should've paid attention to two things:

I said "mainstream" and "karate." Two things that Datsusara gis are not.

@gyoja are you gonna jump into the arena here? You seem to like whoever disgrees with me on just about everything.

Last edited:

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And when you googled "hemp gis" to try to help HighKick out, you should've paid attention to do things:

@gyoja are you gonna jump into the arena here? You seem to like whoever disgrees with me on just about everything.
Sorry, I didn’t realize that I overlooked hitting like on your posts. Let me go back and check for the sake of your self esteem!😏

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn’t realize that I overlooked hitting like on your posts. Let me go back and check for the sake of your self esteem!😏
You jumping into the arena and airing out whatever issues you have with me have nothing to do with self-esteem.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You jumping into the arena and airing out whatever issues you have with me have nothing to do with self-esteem.
I don’t have any issues with you. I don’t even know you. I was just joking a little since you called me out.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And when you googled "hemp gis" to try to help HighKick out, you should've paid attention to two things:

Didn't have to google it. I know of the owner and company, second hand through a mutual friend. It seems like a quality and popular product. I'm not attempting to be contrary here.

My friend studies multiple arts, but bjj isn't one that comes to mind. He was gifted the gi and raved about it. I didn't connect it as a bjj gi, as a kimono wrap, is a kimono wrap.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My friend studies multiple arts, but bjj isn't one that comes to mind. He was gifted the gi and raved about it. I didn't connect it as a bjj gi, as a kimono wrap, is a kimono wrap.
So since Datusara is neither mainstream nor karate, we both agree that my previous statement stands. Got it.

Latest Discussions