Martial Arts GI's

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been looking at used Martial Arts GI's on facebook marketbook. Noticed that the majority of them, by far, are either for childern or are BJJ/Judo/etc. Many state worn once, like new. a few even say not worn. Looks to me like most people quitting are in these catagories. So does that mean non BJJ adults aren't participating or wearing GI's until they are worthless? I am brand new to Karate.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at used Martial Arts GI's on facebook marketbook. Noticed that the majority of them, by far, are either for childern or are BJJ/Judo/etc. Many state worn once, like new. a few even say not worn. Looks to me like most people quitting are in these catagories. So does that mean non BJJ adults aren't participating or wearing GI's until they are worthless? I am brand new to Karate.
This has always happened. Kids try new sports and quit all the time. BJJ is really popular around Army installations and the same thing happens with adults. I let my kids try the class for 30 days before they have to purchase a uniform to help avoid this very thing.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I've seen, BJJ gi companies spend alot more on advertising and sponsorship. So when guys get inspired to try BJJ by watching Jocko Willink and Ryan Michler, you might see white belts wearing a $200 Origin. Shoyoroll does alot of advertising as well, and you'll see white belts wearing that too. They're able to sell these gis online, because they're worth something.

Karate gi companies don't really advertise much. If your dojo gives you a free gi or you buy the cheapest thing you can find, the amount you'd get for it wouldn't be worth your time of trying to sell it.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, anecdotally I think more karate/tkd/kempo dojos offer their own gi's, and it's not as important to get it immediately. So people are quitting before they get one, or people have a dojo specific one that A) they can't sell since it's got the dojo logo, or B) they didn't buy (or bought cheap compared to BJJ gis), so they don't feel a need to try to recoup their losses.

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just started but my first months payment included a "GI" with it. Sun brand, sold by Walmart for $39.00, found a new never worn on on ebay for $25.00. also found a wholesaler in chicago who offered bulk sales to retailers only-no price listed. Doubt mine in high quality, but it seems to be working fine for the few months I've been doing this. I was told by others to not put a lot of money into GI until I decided if I liked this, so weight. Shureido seems to be popular at Dojo. what brands do people here prefer?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They're like French army rifles from WWII. Never fired, dropped once.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just started but my first months payment included a "GI" with it. Sun brand, sold by Walmart for $39.00, found a new never worn on on ebay for $25.00. also found a wholesaler in chicago who offered bulk sales to retailers only-no price listed. Doubt mine in high quality, but it seems to be working fine for the few months I've been doing this. I was told by others to not put a lot of money into GI until I decided if I liked this, so weight. Shureido seems to be popular at Dojo. what brands do people here prefer?
Eh, I'd say a few months is enough to decide to take the plunge. If you get Shureido, they take about two months to come in. Hirota takes about three weeks (but costs slightly more). They're both Japanese brands, they both use the same cotton for their respective weights. I recommend middleweight cotton for your everyday training gi (K11 for Shureido, MH-11 for Hirota). Tokaido (Japanese made) no longer has middleweight cotton.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you're doing a grappling heavy art, where you're concerned someone will rip it, or you're going to class every day and sweating in it (meaning it's getting stinky and you need extra pairs), honestly you should be fine just using yours. Make sure to wash it regularly, and unless you notice some sort of issue with the quality or fit, you can probably by directly from your dojo. There are definitely going to be ones out there that look nicer or are higher quality, but for the most part (heavy grappling excluded) it's not really necessary.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just started but my first months payment included a "GI" with it. Sun brand, sold by Walmart for $39.00, found a new never worn on on ebay for $25.00. also found a wholesaler in chicago who offered bulk sales to retailers only-no price listed. Doubt mine in high quality, but it seems to be working fine for the few months I've been doing this. I was told by others to not put a lot of money into GI until I decided if I liked this, so weight. Shureido seems to be pa opular at Dojo. what brands do people here prefer?
I had no idea Sun was now distributed by Walmart. Big retailers have a tendency to beat suppliers down, down, down pushing their price point to the thinnest margins. This often leads to sacrificing quality.
I said in another post I have used Sun brand uniforms for decades, and they have always been a great entry level uniform. I hope that does not change.
FWIW, I can buy a uniform at bulk wholesale pricing for just under $8 so I imagine Walmart has less than that in one.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
My x-girlfriend had a light weight gi until someone mentioned to her that everyone could see her leopard print underwear clear as day.
But seriously be weary of thin cheap uniforms.

Last edited:

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My x-girlfriend had a light weight gi until someone mentioned to her that everyone could see her leopard print underwear clear as day.
This is why I think "free gis" are a bad idea, IMO. I personally could never give students something I'd never wear myself. Where I train now, he has gis in stock that he sells (they're not free), and they're the same as what he wears (he has cheaper lighter weight too, but encourages students to get the one that costs more). He also keeps gis on hand that new students can borrow if they decide to order their own.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Better yet, be wary of wearing leopard print underwear to class!!!

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
somewhere I read that if a white belt with to show up with a Shureido, or other expensive brand, GI. That they would be viewed negatively and possibly ridiculed, maybe in private. I have been doing this for 5 months and am thinking about buying another GI so I have two to rotate through, my current was a gimmy Sun brand one. so what should I buy, how expensive?

I currently feel inadequate enought without adding to it by buying an inappropiate GI. thanks.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
somewhere I read that if a white belt with to show up with a Shureido, or other expensive brand, GI. That they would be viewed negatively and possibly ridiculed, maybe in private.
I suppose it’d be the same if you turned up for a driving lesson in a Bugatti Veyron! Unless it is explicitly suggested what type of keikogi one should wear, I’d just ignore ‘their’ childish jealousy and wear what you want.
I have been doing this for 5 months and am thinking about buying another GI so I have two to rotate through, my current was a gimmy Sun brand one. so what should I buy, how expensive?
Buy another like you already have for consistency of feel and look.
I currently feel inadequate enought without adding to it by buying an inappropiate GI. thanks.
I think you’re overthinking this! 😉

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
So how much should I spen on next GI? $50, $100, $150or over $200? The prices seem to be all over the place.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how much should I spen on next GI? $50, $100, $150or over $200? The prices seem to be all over the place.
I guess that it depends on your budget and how committed you are to training.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can only help you with this if you tell us your income, bank account number, mother’s maiden name and name of your first pet. 😐

dennis63

White Belt
Reaction score
Just don't wear plaid with stripes. Or this:

download.jpg

Serious answer: Ask your instructor what gi they wear or recommend and get one if those in your size.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions