Forms Training.....

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
We've done the forms as if we were in a small square (1.5 x 1.5) and couldn't move out side of it. It makes you adjust your footwork a lot.

We've also done forms inbetween sparring rounds with the gear still on and mouthpiece in. That was a lot of fun.

jb

R

RCastillo

Hey Mr. JBugg!

Get rid of that scary face on the side, I'm liable to have nightmares!

Thanks
:eek:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the smile I give my victims, I mean opponents. If I olny had it as a gif that started foaming at the mouth...Now that would be cool.

Gary said he was going to try to start coming by and doing some sparring with you. That should be cool.

jb

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jbkenpo

That's the smile I give my victims, I mean opponents. If I olny had it as a gif that started foaming at the mouth...Now that would be cool.

Gary said he was going to try to start coming by and doing some sparring with you. That should be cool.

jb

Well, sparring with Gary ,should be fun, but I'm afraid of heights, but then again, I should be able to duck under all his hands;)

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I have quite a few bamboo shafts that I got cheaply from Pier 1 imports, they are about 6 foot long. What I tend to do is make a box on the floor out of four ofthem and make my students to their techs or forms in the box. I'm trying to explain to them that they may not always have the option of taking up 20 feet to execute something.

T

tonbo

Excellent rundown of ways to practice forms (as if I expected any less....eeesh.)!!

Some additional things that I have used in the past:

Five Animals Forms : Using the various attributes for the animals, run through a form as each animal. For example: Do the form "tiger" style, emphasizing the power of the strikes. Don't worry about speed, stability or other concerns like that--think only tiger, only power, only attack.

Do the form "snake" style: concentrate on flow and on being fluid in movement.

"Dragon" style: compbine the animals as much as possible; work on blending speed, power, fluidity, stances, as much as you can--and emphasize breathing.

(This is really simplistic, but it gets the idea across, I hope!! I know there is much more to each animal, but you get the general idea).

Also, we have done "Forms in Chaos" at our school: You have a circle of students around the one doing forms. When he/she is ready, the student in the center does the salutation of the form we are working on and goes to it, any way they want to perform it (working tool/target, speed, etc.). The students in the circle can shout, wave their hands and feet, and generally try to distract the student doing the form as long as they 1) don't touch the student and 2) aren't abusive or crude in their words or actions. If the student in the center breaks focus or stops the form, they have to start over.

I have also done form "movie" style or "musical style": put some music on while you are working the form, and try to keep up with the "mood" and tempo of the music. I call this "movie" style sometimes, because I feel like this is one of those scenes in a MA movie...;)

A final one that my instructor is fond of: We run through a form facing front. Then he has us turn to different directions and run it again (corners, to the rear, etc.). Then he points us in different directions and has us run the form by the set (or by the move, for short forms). At some random point, he *may* say, "Okay, finish it up", at which point we can do the rest of the form.

Heh....just a few of the methods I have played with...;)

Peace--

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You actually took off your icon for Ricardo! Man there must be something going on between Huston and Corpus that I don't know about.......... Hey Gary.... be careful with these two :rofl:

:asian:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

You actually took off your icon for Ricardo! Man there must be something going on between Huston and Corpus that I don't know about.......... Hey Gary.... be careful with these two :rofl:

Change is a good thing....Gary is my buddy. I've known longer than anyone around here I think. We met at Mr. Duffy's camp that one year and hung out the whole time.

R

RCastillo

Be careful, Arizona is NEXT!:toilclaw:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

That Icon looks like the little bugg getting mad at me........:eek:

lol...now that I look at it your right... 3 1/2 working on his basics. Getting him to remember the right and left thing is the hardest part right now..:D

But he has a mean square horse and can almost do the splits.

jb

Latest Discussions