Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
And of course for flashy kicks you can’t forget this

and who performed that kick??....a taekwondo black belt

also ben Henderson did this real nice move that i can’t find a video of but his kick got caught but he jumped into a roundhouse kick with his standing leg which the other just ducked. If it had landed it would’ve done some damage

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Headhunter let's see if Acronym ignores these or has some excuse why they're not legit Taekwondo moves...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Headhunter let's see if Acronym ignores these or has some excuse why they're not legit Taekwondo moves...
Oh 100% he will....I mean I’ve never done a day of TKD in my life so I’m not defending for that reason but I cringe when I see the “this style is useless and ineffective” argument because to me that shows pure ignorance and limited experience in martial arts and an over inflated self belief in their own style. All styles have good and bad stuff nothing is perfect and nothing is truly useless. It’s about how you train it and if you are naturally good. I could train judo for 50 years I still wouldn’t be great at it. I’d probably be alright but nothing special because it’s not a style that suits me. But I’m not arrogant enough to say just because I’m bad at it it means the whole thing is useless.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I cringe when I see the “this style is useless and ineffective” argument because to me that shows pure ignorance and limited experience in martial arts and an over inflated self belief in their own style. All styles have good and bad stuff nothing is perfect and nothing is truly useless

QFT

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And of course for flashy kicks you can’t forget this

and who performed that kick??....a taekwondo black belt

also ben Henderson did this real nice move that i can’t find a video of but his kick got caught but he jumped into a roundhouse kick with his standing leg which the other just ducked. If it had landed it would’ve done some damage

running up the wall and kicking? Yeah, I don't recall ever being taught that in TKD. I would chalk that one up for some of the Kung Fu styles in which you actually do stuff like that.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh yeah spinning kicks there’s thousands. Dennis siver was a good guy for them got a couple of spinning back kick to the body KOs.

also Uriah hall with this kick That damm near killed the guy

Techniques Not exclusive to TaeKwondo like tornados and scissor kicks.... Even Sambo has spinning back kicks

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Techniques Not exclusive to TaeKwondo like tornados and scissor kicks.... Even Sambo has spinning back kicks

So then what's your point? Is Taekwondo bad because it has useless techniques? Or is Taekwondo bad because other arts have these techniques? If those techniques are useless, then doesn't that make those other arts useless? Doesn't that make MMA useless, since MMA fighters get KO'd by these useless kicks?

I've seen people move goalposts plenty before. This is one of the first times I haven't even been able to find them at all.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So then what's your point? Is Taekwondo bad because it has useless techniques? Or is Taekwondo bad because other arts have these techniques? If those techniques are useless, then doesn't that make those other arts useless? Doesn't that make MMA useless, since MMA fighters get KO'd by these useless kicks?

I've seen people move goalposts plenty before. This is one of the first times I haven't even been able to find them at all.

Where did I write that TKD is bad? I wrote that the curriculums deserves every bashing they get and then some!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Training culture and philosophy as opposed to actual content.

I'm still confused. Because the training culture and philosophy are what drive the curriculum and the content in it.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting point. What specifically do you believe is wrong with the philosophy?

*Disconnect between forms/patterns and sparring.. Patterns don't relate and don't apply to sparring

Even kicking techniques that do get used tend to get circumvented and not thrown the way you were taught them in basics, because those ways are too time consuming and telegraphed (then why learn them that way in the first place?)

punching and blocking in patterns does not carry over to live action due to the static nature of pattern delivery and the overemphasis on form (no leaning) and the underestimation of attacks.

Endless time spent on blocks that aren't used in sparring since they don't work against chains of attacks. 30% to 40% is spent on something that is useless and not even used in that very same school once you free spar. if you do, you will suffer for it.

* A persistent fostering belief in using the leg as first line of offense and defence, but no account for how this translates to people who won't "play the game"

* simulation of non TKD fighting scenarios are laughably contrived

*Ho shin sul Aikido grappling techniques.

* much more emphasis on form than applicability, making the practitioner "pretty" but not conditioned for what's ahead. Real fighting is ugly, not pretty.

* undue time spent on flexibility

Last edited:

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And yes, I have an anecdote of a black belt who thought blocking punches was a good idea in free sparring. He got tagged like a baby. 1-2, bang. Couldn't parry both at the same time.

That's a good 30-40% of the training out the window.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also:

*Overestimation with regards to the hierarchy of kicks (side kick being the holy grail). Side kicks are of very little concern to experienced, potent ring fighters in striking. Back kicks are also overestimated lines of attack in a live action scenario where you aren't you playing TKD and there's no time or room for your techniques.

I have seen very potent TKD fighters spam spinning back kicks to no effect in a KB ring, even though they landed

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
running up the wall and kicking? Yeah, I don't recall ever being taught that in TKD.
In the Chang Hon system it's called "Reflex Kick" (Perhaps not the greatest name.) Perhaps you were absent from class the day it was taught.

Latest Discussions