For All The Taekwondo Bashers The Real Truth On Taekwondo From My View

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Um, a few notes if I may. Typing is all caps is yelling and considered bad form, and very rude. Courtesy ya know. U is spelled y-o-u. Punctuation is a good thing. Around here, people take seriously those who type seriously. Your points are well meant, but retyping them might be of use. Expecially as a 2nd dan. Dan ranks are noticed around here (Including 8th and above) Welcome to the boards.

OP
K

kwon 17

Hollywood1340 said:
Um, a few notes if I may. Typing is all caps is yelling and considered bad form, and very rude. Courtesy ya know. U is spelled y-o-u. Punctuation is a good thing. Around here, people take seriously those who type seriously. Your points are well meant, but retyping them might be of use.
Welcome to the boards.
Thankyou for the information 1340 I really dont like using correct grammar on the net,I usually just use slang.However, thanks for the information and I will
reconsider since you asked so politely

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, that sure helped...

Yikes... I'm not even gonna attempt to read it...

No one is going to take anything you say seriously if it is typed like that.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
kwon 17 said:
AS AN ITF TAEKWONDO WITH 9 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE I AM TIRED OF HEARING ALL OF THE TKD BASHERS .THAT TO ME IS AN ACT OF CLOSED MINDED AND CONFUSED PEOPLE.

And your response to them is based on your experiences with what other arts with which you compare your TKD training?

(NO OFFENSE TKD BASHERS)

This is your first post. You typed in all caps, which in e-communication indicates yelling... Certainly no one is taking offense, but you aren't doing yourself any favors by presenting your argument with "U" instead of "you," and other teenaged shorthand...

FIRST OF ALL I BELIEVE WHO ARE U GUYS TO SAY O TKD SUCKS,THEY ALWAY KICK HIGH,SINE WAVE IS DUMB AND THIS AND THAT WHEN U GUYS USUALLY GO BY WHAT U HEAR AND SEE AT CERTAIN MCDOJANGS.

Perhaps because the bulk of the schools that "TKD Bashers" have had their experience with present exactly that kind of public front... They all kick high, they teach "sine wave" (which I still don't fully grasp, but it sounds like garbage - more on that later), etc. You are asking them to go against the direct evidence that supports their beliefs...

NOT ALL SCHOOLS ARE LIKE AS FEW AS U UNDERSTAND.

I think what you meant to say was that "not all schools are alike," and perhaps not, but the bulk of the schools are.

WHEN I HEAR U GUYS SAY THIS ITS THE WORDS UED EXPECT FROM NON MARTIAL ARTIST.

No, it is perhaps the words you would expect to hear from a non-martial artist... Real martial artists have training that directly contradicts the bulk of what it is taught in TKD schools.

U KNOW THE GUYS WHO ARE ALWAYS DOING THE KARATE KID CRANE THING,MAKING THE BRUCE LEE NOISE

Well, we certainly aren't the ones making those kinds of people do that, now are we? Nor are we the kind that are encouraging it.

NOW IT IS TRUE THAT TAE KWON DO STYLIST kick HIGH AND FOR THAT REASON I DONT KNOW.

After 9 years or training, you don't know why you are taught to kick high? Pity... :idunno: You'd think after nearly a decade of training you'd understand more about your own art.

BUT I DO KNOW IN MY SCHOOL WE ARE TOLD TO KICK BELOW THE WAIST IN AN ACTUAL STREET ACOUNTER.

Good for you.

PERSONALLY I DONT KICK BELOW THE SOLAR PLEXUS.

So in a bar fight situation, you'll still attempt a head kick? Silly rabbit, such tricks are likely to get you stomped... :rolleyes:

NOW I BELIEVE THERE ARE MANY CONS TO KICKING AT THE HEAD SUCH AS LOST OF BALANCE,EXPOSURE OF YOUR LEG KEEPING U BALANCED EX.THE PROS CAN BE AN KNOCKOUT OR THE DROPPING OF THE PERSON U KICK.

It is a simple cost/benefit analysis... The risk you take for the chance of a KO is too great to validate putting yourself in an untenable position. Hence the criticism, widespread and not style specific, of TKD's constant high kicks.

NOW IMMAGINE IF YOU WERE TO KICK SOMEONE AS HARD AS U CAN WITH A HOOK KICK WITH YOUR HEEL ARE A TURNING KICK WITH THE TIP OF YOUR SNEAKERS OR SHOE THE RESULTS WOULD BE DRAMATIC AND NOT GOOD FOR YOUR ENEMY.

Now imagine a guy with several friends, one of whom is picking up that chair behind you and getting ready to clock you as you are chambering your pretty kick at his buddy...

It is best to keep your feet where they can do you the most good - solidly planted on the ground.

NOW LETS GET ON SINE WAVE NOW I MYSELF WAS TAUGHT SINE WAVE CORRECTLY BUT NOT TO THE DEGREE OF MOST ITF SCHOOLS WHERE THEY EXAGGERATE IT.

So you were taught it, but your teacher didn't emphasize it the way the rest of your association does...?

JUST PUT IT LIKE THIS I WAS TAUGHT THE WAY WHERE IT CAN BE COMBAT EFFECTIVE

So you imply that the way it is normally taught is not combat effective? You just joined the ranks of the same naysayers you are trying to argue against...

BUT COME ON IN A 1 ON 1 WHO WOULD REALLY GO DOWN UP DOWN TO PUNCH SOMEONE WHERE U CAN PUNCH SOMEONE AND PUT YOUR WHOLE BODY INTO IT.

It seems you ask the same question your detractors ask... Do you have an answer based on your 9 years of ITF TKD training?

TO ME SINE WAVE AND ALL OF TAEKWONDO TECHNIQUES ARE MEANT TO PUT YOUR BODY INTO ALL YOUR TECHNIQUE

Is that what they taught you, or is this your own revelation?

.AND TO DO THIS U MUST USE SOMETING CALLED CONTROOLED LOST OF BALLANCE.WHICH CAN ME FOUND MOSTLY IN MOVEMENT 18 IN DAN GUN TUL.WHEN U GET TO THAT MOVEMENT U MUST SWING YOUR BODY INTO THE STRIKE INCORPORTAING YOUR BODY MASS AND HIPS INTO THE STRIKE.(I HOPE ALL THE ITF PRACTIONERS CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT)TO EXPLAIN WHAT I CALL CONTROLLED LOST OF BALANCE U ARE BASICCALY TROWING YOUR BODY INTO EACH BLOCK AND STRIKE TO PRODUCE POWER IN YOUR TECHNIQUE.

If it is the technique I'm thinking of, it is an inefficient use of movement to effect what amounts to a total committment technique. If you miss, or you are too small to effect your opponent... :idunno:

NOW 1 THE REASON WHY U BASHERS THINK TAEKWONDO DOESNT HAVE ANY HAND STRIKES ARE PUNCHES BECAUSE U NEVER STAYED IN IT PAST BLACK BELT WHERE MOST OF THE REAL HAND TECHNIQUES COME IN.

That's really a little late to teach someone to use the appendages that are most easily controlled, most effectively trained, and easiest to employ... That's like saying you are going to wait until black belt to teach someone how to defend against someone with a weapon... Wait, TKD does that, too... Oh well. :rolleyes: I'm sure the guy with the knife will wait until after your black belt test to attack you in a closed in, confined space. Criminals are nice like that.

TAEKWONDO ALMOST HAS THE SAME AMOUNT OF KICKS AS IT DOES HAND STRIKES IF U WANT TO GET TECHNICAL WITH IT.

Sure it does. That's why even in TKD point sparring tournaments hand and foot techniques carry equal weight in points value, right? Oh, that's right, they don't...

WHY REAL TAEKWONDO HAS FALLEN APART IS BECAUSE ITS MANY INSTRUCTERS THAT RUN MCDOJANGS,THE SPORT ORIENTATED WTF TECNIQUES,THE EXAGGERATION OF SINE WAVE, AND BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT MUST INSTRUCTERS DONT INCOPORATE ENOUGH BOXING TECHNIQUES.

Why would they have to incorporate boxing into TKD if TKD is so worthwhile? Your arguement is rapidly falling apart as your contradictions grow in number...

SOME PEOPLE ALSO BELIEVE TKD HAS NO GRABS OR PRESSURE POINTS STRIKES.THERE ARE ENOUGH ALONE IN PATTERNS.THERE IS EVEN A NERVE STRIKE STRIKE IN CHON JI.

Only one? Wow. Nine years and the best you can find in your forms is one whole "nerve strike" in one form, and a basic one at that. Scary. :idunno:

THERES GRABS IN WONHYU,YULGOK, AND MANY OTHER TULS.BELIEVE IT OR NOT TAEKWONDO HAS MANY RELEASES FOUND IN PATTERNS SUCH AS HWARANG AND JOON-GOON.

Ya think? Thanks for clarifying...

Too bad you can't see the forest since there are so many trees in the way.

Enjoy.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
kwon 17 said:
Thankyou for the information 1340 I really dont like using correct grammar on the net,I usually just use slang.

Because, of course, so many people you've never met are going to allow for such a personal idiosyncracy and think you are in fact a highly educated and literate person instead of a teenager with no coherent argument...

Whatever. :rolleyes:

OP
K

kwon 17

Damn you Matt.You just pointed out all of my mistakes and made me look very dumb while it,thankyou very much.I would love to respond to all my mistakes you commented on but its just too many.I am speachless.All I have to say is I have way more knowledge of Taekwon do and writing than that article displayed.:whip:

OP
K

kwon 17

Well only one thing in that statement was true and that was when you said I was a teen,In fact I am 17 going on 18.

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
To all who read this person's post.

I would like to apologize on behalf of TKD pratctitioners everywhere for this person's behavior. Aside from what you may gather from his schizophrenic mumblings, most TKD practitioners are actually quite literate. Please do not associate his ramblings with those of other practitioners. Thank you.

(Oh, and Kwon, don't go branding the WTF schools as sports schools. My school (WTF), actually does full-contact sparring, and same point values on hand and foot techniques. The school up the road from us, (ITF), will only do point sparring, because, and I quote from one of their public demonstrations, "We don't do continuous sparring. It tends to get too dangerous and aggressive.")

Thanks.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay as I see it, you have to paths
1. Do it again with a "Any questions, I'll try and answer them best I can"
2. Don't
I'm a CHKD guy and the bashers are immense. But for me it's never US vs. THEM it's US. So try and find the common ground, start there, then explain why and HOW you do it. It'll make future discussions go much easier. There is much knowledge to be gained here, and I hope you'll look into it. All of it ;)

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
kwon 17 said:
Well only one thing in that statement was true and that was when you said I was a teen,In fact I am 17 going on 18.

I'd figured as much, what with the "kwon17" bit.

Here's the deal... You are 17, and with 9 years of TKD behind you, that means you started when you were 8. That also means that the bulk of what you've learned, up until maybe the last 2 years or so, was crap.

You were a child. For that matter, you still are. Age notwithstanding, you are still not fully developed until you are in your early 20s. Not my rule, blame God. That means that the lion's share of your training was done by a child with a child's mind and a child's body. You simply weren't capable, mentally or physically, of learning anything else. And since you have been taught since such a young, eager to learn age, you hold it all very dear to you. That explains your outrage when "TKD bashers" attack the art you've devoted half your life to.

The same thing happens when people are shown holes in their religious upbringing, when they are betrayed by family members, etc. It is understandable.

What you have the opportunity to do, here, is to tap into literally hundreds of years worth of experience in the form of senior instructors from literally dozens and dozens of other styles. Formulate your theory. Write it coherently and in an organized fashion. Present your argument, and see if it holds water. If it begins to leak, seek out teachers who will help you understand where those leaks come from, and more importanly how to shore them up...

Or, write in slang and be a punk.

The choice is yours...

(And just as an example of first hand experience, I'm living in Korea for the second time in my life, and the TKD they teach even here is loaded with garbage and black belts are nearly guaranteed in a year or less...)

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Someone should do a "Myths of TKD" thread.
Debunk the "kicking people off horses" myth, as well as the "1 promotion for each time zone crossed while traveling to US to open school" myth.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good thing I train TKD here in MT, we have to kick people of horses all the time, cause we ride 'em and all. Yeah...okay back to topic.

OP
K

kwon 17

Damn Matt don't you think It was kind of rude for you to say that what I learned was ******** when you never even seen my physical skill or mental skill in Taekwon Do

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dude....um..you come off worse in the other forum. And it's going downhill here. *sits back to watch more fireworks* I hate to speak to black belt this way, but please, if not your age, act your rank!

OP
K

kwon 17

Your making it seem as if I train at one of those mcdojangs that you see everywhere in the U.S.If you were to see me an action you'd surely be proved wrong.I mean I do take pride in what I learn obviously,If i didn't care I wouldn't of made an attempt to type the stuff that you read and dissaproved of.