For All The Taekwondo Bashers The Real Truth On Taekwondo From My View

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You disagree yet they award higher points for spinning techniques. How does that work?

Let's take another one. Do you think double roundhouse kicks are practical techniques in Kickboxing-ish competition or even MMA?

If you watch an actual match, you’ll see that the flashy techniques aren’t used often despite more points being awarded.

Shockingly, techniques specifically designed for tkd competition aren’t always the most practical for other sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you watch an actual match, you’ll see that the flashy techniques aren’t used often despite more points being awarded.

They still take up a lot of the training time. I did tornados as much if not more than the basic kicks when I did KKW. And we trained for the sport of WT.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They learn boxing in Muay Thai, just not all of it. In TKD you learn what is either a poor imitation of boxing or no boxing at all.
They don't learn boxing in muay thai. They learn muay thai. That involves striking with your hands, but is a completely different system than boxing. Hence why I'm saying you can learn to use your hands without learning boxing.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
promotes flashy techniques,
Back in the 70, if your school couldn't teach flashy kick, your school won't have any students. Believe or not, I went to watch a new school opening. During the 1st day, the instructor taught the inside crescent kick, outside crescent kick combo.

I assume if you can do inside crescent kick, outside kick combo, you can also do roundhouse kick (MT way), spin hook kick combo.

Bruce-Lee-4-kicks.gif

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
They still take up a lot of the training time. I did tornados as much if not more than the basic kicks when I did KKW. And we trained for the sport of WT.

That’s not the focus in my tkd school. And that wasn’t the focus at the tkd school in Seoul where I was on staff for a decade.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They don't learn boxing in muay thai. They learn muay thai. That involves striking with your hands, but is a completely different system than boxing. Hence why I'm saying you can learn to use your hands without learning boxing.

"The punch techniques in muay Thai were originally quite limited, being crosses and a long (or lazy) circular strike made with a straight (but not locked) arm and landing with the heel of the palm. Cross-fertilization with Western boxing and Western martial arts mean the full range of western boxing punches are now used: lead jab, straight/cross, hook, uppercut, shovel and corkscrew punches and overhands as well as hammer fists and back fists."

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That’s not the focus in my tkd school. And that wasn’t the focus at the tkd school in Seoul where I was on staff for a decade.

You're not going to argue that the new rules are better, are you? Face kicking doesn't score anymore at the highest levels, making it a battle of who can axe kick the other one more on the helmet.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That may be true. However, back in my competition days, back kick and back hook kick weren’t low percentage techniques, precisely because I trained the hell out of them. But that was, of course, in the context of tkd sparring. I wasn’t training to be an mma fighter or a kick boxer. I trained those “spinning” techniques knowing that most of my opponents’ bread and butter was going to be round kick, and my spinning kicks perfectly countered them. It was a psychological advantage, too, because it essentially took away their best weapon.

Again, I think most tkd students aren’t training to fight. Even most of the ones who believe they are training to fight aren’t.

There are compilations of spinning kicks in UFC.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I love the unique ways people find to bash arts. /s

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You're not going to argue that the new rules are better, are you? Face kicking doesn't score anymore at the highest levels, making it a battle of who can axe kick the other one more on the helmet.

Nope. I hate the way it looks now, but that doesn’t mean I see lots of fancy techniques.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are compilations of spinning kicks in UFC.

How many tornado or double roundhouse or axe kick knockouts?

Imagine if a grappling coach in MMA didn't take anything from Jiujitsu specifically... What would we say about the practicality of Jiujitsu then?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nope. I hate the way it looks now, but that doesn’t mean I see lots of fancy techniques.

My criticism was about training and practicality... How much would you estimate you did tornados, axe kicks, and scissor kicks in your day? And how much do you do them now? They are superflous techniques to anyone but TKD competitors. I didn't even do them in my ITF school! Now that's saying something!

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many tornado or double roundhouse or axe kick knockouts?

Imagine if a grappling coach in MMA didn't take anything from Jiujitsu specifically... What would we say about the practicality of Jiujitsu then?
Here’s one (note also has his hands down taekwondo style)

here’s another one (with an axe kick also included )

https://youtu.be/aJKzZAqU8f

and one more for good luck

Those 3 all found in about 1 minute of scrolling through YouTube

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
3 in thousands of MMA bouts..?. :eek: Well that settles it.. lol
3 that I found in 1 minute and that’s 3 more than you claimed there was and here’s a few more spinning kicks for you (taekwondo style kicks)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here’s another. Not sure if it’s exclusively taekwondo kick but my friend who does taekwondo uses this kick in competition and here it is knocking out a ufc veteran

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here’s another. Not sure if it’s exclusively taekwondo kick but my friend who does taekwondo uses this kick in competition and here it is knocking out a ufc veteran

Yeah that's not a formal Taekwondo kick. I would say that's more capoera than TKD, if anything.

Latest Discussions