For All The Taekwondo Bashers The Real Truth On Taekwondo From My View

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
But teaching bashing can serve a purpose in that the other side can make their case. So far I haven't really seen that though so maybe they simply have different objectives than the average student who pays..
Well it’s against the rules so there we go...keep doing it and you’ll get banned...jeez you even have a smartass answer to being told the rules

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well the thread title should be changed to "Taekwondo reservationists" then...

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, if you use them! The point is you don't unless it's against an untrained assailant.

You don't use your muscles?

The deep stances, build the muscles you'll use to drive your punches and kicks. The hand strikes build the muscles you'll use in hand strikes. The stances build the foundation you'll need for any grappling (without a strong base, you won't be able to push/pull/throw anyone).

It's not the exact techniques. It's what you build. For example, the double knife-hand block: in my opinion, a useless technique. However, the particular way you move your arms and your core helps build useful muscle for other techniques. It's also how you build them. Building muscle is great, but you need to train speed as well. Forms help you train to use speed and get that "snap power." Forms help you learn how to manage your weight and balance.

You use all of those in a fight. Whether against someone who is trained or untrained. All of those benefits will help you in a fight.

But teaching bashing can serve a purpose in that the other side can make their case. So far I haven't really seen that though so maybe they simply have different objectives than the average student who pays..

Maybe you should read one of the stickies in the general thread: Critique vs Criticism

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't use your muscles?

The deep stances, build the muscles you'll use to drive your punches and kicks. The hand strikes build the muscles you'll use in hand strikes. The stances build the foundation you'll need for any grappling (without a strong base, you won't be able to push/pull/throw anyone).

Deep stances in TKD? Anyway, you can do that at home all day in your time off, if you believe there is any utility to that. To spend 40% of your dojang time on blocks that aren't used in application is a hard thing to swallow. If most schools had pattern training separate classes, most wouldn't show up, at least according to the assistant instructor where I trained. It is not beloved, it isn't applied, and you can do it at home.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I answered your question in the previous post.
Yeah. But I just can't comprehend it. You're saying if you stumbled into a school that was either judo or bjj, you'd be completely incapable of telling the difference? I think I'd be able to, even if no one was on the mats.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah. But I just can't comprehend it. You're saying if you stumbled into a school that was either judo or bjj, you'd be completely incapable of telling the difference? I think I'd be able to, even if no one was on the mats.

If it was a Kosen Judo school, I wouldn't be able to, no.. Do you know what that is?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Deep stances in TKD?

Are you willfully ignorant or is this just an accident? You're talking like you're the arbiter of the arts, and yet you don't know simple things about how they train.

Anyway, you can do that at home all day in your time off, if you believe there is any utility to that. To spend 40% of your dojang time on blocks that aren't used in application is a hard thing to swallow. If most schools had pattern training separate classes, most wouldn't show up, at least according to the assistant instructor where I trained. It is not beloved, it isn't applied, and you can do it at home.

So you should train stuff at home without instruction? As you so eloquently described earlier, there are a lot of details that go into those forms. People don't just randomly do them.

Lots of people enjoy the forms. In fact, that's become a significant part of our classes since COVID hit and we can't spar or grapple anymore. And we still have around 100 students or so who show up to primarily do forms. You're quoting an assistant instructor? What does your main instructor say? What does your master say? The assistant instructor is just someone who helps out with classes. I wouldn't expect them to know what works and what doesn't in running the business.

By your logic, no martial arts school should ever do any physical training in class, because you can just do that at home. I say "logic" very generously in this case.

You're continuing to bash the art in this thread after an admin came in and told you to stop. Are you trying to get yourself banned?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Deep stances in TKD? Anyway, you can do that at home all day in your time off, if you believe there is any utility to that. To spend 40% of your dojang time on blocks that aren't used in application is a hard thing to swallow. If most schools had pattern training separate classes, most wouldn't show up, at least according to the assistant instructor where I trained. It is not beloved, it isn't applied, and you can do it at home.
Ah well hey if an assistant instructor said it then it must be true right....utter nonsense. Yeah some people don’t like forms and that’s absolutely fair enough but some people love them. They don’t want to be getting smacked around and going home with black eyes or bruised up hands, They’re happy doing their forms. Myself I like them and train them regularly and great for fitness. “You can do it at home?” I can punch a bag at home, I can do push ups at home I can shadow box at home does that mean no one should go train at all....and yes I can do my forms at home but I’m not getting any feedback on what to improve.

you know what I’m sure you will come back with smug smartass answer about how everyone is wrong but you.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[
Are you willfully ignorant or is this just an accident? You're talking like you're the arbiter of the arts, and yet you don't know simple things about how they train.

TKD training is not characterized by deep stances.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

By your logic, no martial arts school should ever do any physical training in class, because you can just do that at home. I say "logic" very generously in this case.

You're continuing to bash the art in this thread after an admin came in and told you to stop. Are you trying to get yourself banned?

You can't spar against yourself.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ö

So you should train stuff at home without instruction? As you so eloquently described earlier, there are a lot of details that go into those forms. People don't just randomly do them.

You mentioned that the stances are good for muscle building, to which I replied that you can practice them at home just as well.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah well hey if an assistant instructor said it then it must be true right....utter nonsense. Yeah some people don’t like forms and that’s absolutely fair enough but some people love them. They don’t want to be getting smacked around and going home with black eyes or bruised up hands, They’re happy doing their forms. Myself I like them and train them regularly and great for fitness. “You can do it at home?” I can punch a bag at home, I can do push ups at home I can shadow box at home does that mean no one should go train at all....and yes I can do my forms at home but I’m not getting any feedback on what to improve.

you know what I’m sure you will come back with smug smartass answer about how everyone is wrong but you.

[
There are a lot of people who can't use a heavy bag at home due to space. Not everybody is a middle class citizen with a bro garage and a heavy bag

Latest Discussions