For All The Taekwondo Bashers The Real Truth On Taekwondo From My View

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by kwon 17, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Well it’s against the rules so there we go...keep doing it and you’ll get banned...jeez you even have a smartass answer to being told the rules

• Like Like x 1
  2. Acronym

Acronym Master of Arts

Well the thread title should be changed to "Taekwondo reservationists" then...

3. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

You don't see a difference between bjj and judo?

4. Acronym

Acronym Master of Arts

Not in Kimuras era. And not compared to todays Kosen Judo either.

5. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

If you go into a judo school and a bjj school, you'd be completely incapable of telling the difference?

6. Acronym

Acronym Master of Arts

I answered your question in the previous post.

7. skribs

skribs Grandmaster

You don't use your muscles?

The deep stances, build the muscles you'll use to drive your punches and kicks. The hand strikes build the muscles you'll use in hand strikes. The stances build the foundation you'll need for any grappling (without a strong base, you won't be able to push/pull/throw anyone).

It's not the exact techniques. It's what you build. For example, the double knife-hand block: in my opinion, a useless technique. However, the particular way you move your arms and your core helps build useful muscle for other techniques. It's also how you build them. Building muscle is great, but you need to train speed as well. Forms help you train to use speed and get that "snap power." Forms help you learn how to manage your weight and balance.

You use all of those in a fight. Whether against someone who is trained or untrained. All of those benefits will help you in a fight.

Maybe you should read one of the stickies in the general thread: Critique vs Criticism

8. Acronym

Acronym Master of Arts

Deep stances in TKD? Anyway, you can do that at home all day in your time off, if you believe there is any utility to that. To spend 40% of your dojang time on blocks that aren't used in application is a hard thing to swallow. If most schools had pattern training separate classes, most wouldn't show up, at least according to the assistant instructor where I trained. It is not beloved, it isn't applied, and you can do it at home.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  9. Steve

Steve Mostly Harmless

Yeah. But I just can't comprehend it. You're saying if you stumbled into a school that was either judo or bjj, you'd be completely incapable of telling the difference? I think I'd be able to, even if no one was on the mats.

10. Acronym

Acronym Master of Arts

If it was a Kosen Judo school, I wouldn't be able to, no.. Do you know what that is?

11. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Do you?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. skribs

skribs Grandmaster

Are you willfully ignorant or is this just an accident? You're talking like you're the arbiter of the arts, and yet you don't know simple things about how they train.

So you should train stuff at home without instruction? As you so eloquently described earlier, there are a lot of details that go into those forms. People don't just randomly do them.

Lots of people enjoy the forms. In fact, that's become a significant part of our classes since COVID hit and we can't spar or grapple anymore. And we still have around 100 students or so who show up to primarily do forms. You're quoting an assistant instructor? What does your main instructor say? What does your master say? The assistant instructor is just someone who helps out with classes. I wouldn't expect them to know what works and what doesn't in running the business.

By your logic, no martial arts school should ever do any physical training in class, because you can just do that at home. I say "logic" very generously in this case.

You're continuing to bash the art in this thread after an admin came in and told you to stop. Are you trying to get yourself banned?

13. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Ah well hey if an assistant instructor said it then it must be true right....utter nonsense. Yeah some people don’t like forms and that’s absolutely fair enough but some people love them. They don’t want to be getting smacked around and going home with black eyes or bruised up hands, They’re happy doing their forms. Myself I like them and train them regularly and great for fitness. “You can do it at home?” I can punch a bag at home, I can do push ups at home I can shadow box at home does that mean no one should go train at all....and yes I can do my forms at home but I’m not getting any feedback on what to improve.

you know what I’m sure you will come back with smug smartass answer about how everyone is wrong but you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Acronym

Acronym Master of Arts

[
    TKD training is not characterized by deep stances.

15. Acronym

Acronym Master of Arts

You can't spar against yourself.

16. Acronym

Acronym Master of Arts

I was not quoted

17. Acronym

Acronym Master of Arts

You mentioned that the stances are good for muscle building, to which I replied that you can practice them at home just as well.

18. Acronym

Acronym Master of Arts

[
    There are a lot of people who can't use a heavy bag at home due to space. Not everybody is a middle class citizen with a bro garage and a heavy bag

19. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

Which kung fu style would that be?

20. Acronym

Acronym Master of Arts

I don't remember which one but I did visit such a school. Never joined.123