For All The Taekwondo Bashers The Real Truth On Taekwondo From My View

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Raymond Daniels who is both Kempo and TKD has more world championship titles than I have underwear and you saw the massacre against good MT fighters. I can assure you Daniels kicking prowess is at the very very top, and his hands aren't bad by TMA standards.

Yeah but that is one system. Not all of TKD.

Do you train under Daniels? or adopt his method?

Because quite often we see justification for an unsuccessful method by pointing at a completely different method.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So if your TKD is doing something like this.

Then Mabye you will have some sort of success with TKD and fighting people.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So if your TKD is doing something like this.

Then Mabye you will have some sort of success with TKD and fighting people.

He can beat 5000 people for all I care. As soon as he faces a strong opponent, he gets crushed. Nicky holtzen even half assed it in the rematch and it was just as easy.

And Daniels is more merited in his background than those guys are in theirs.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He can beat 5000 people for all I care. As soon as he faces a strong opponent, he gets crushed. Nicky holtzen even half assed it in the rematch and it was just as easy.

And Daniels is more merited in his background than those guys are in theirs.

Not really. If you can find yourself a Bellator ranked fighter as your instructor I think you would be doing ok.

That you haven't got the top ranked guy for your three days a week hobby. May not be as big an issue there.

Now if you can find a guy with awesome hands train with him as well. Every bit you get is good.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What difference does it make? I know what's formally part of the art and what's not . I wrote that schools that are hybrid do not apply, and that goes without saying. I wasn't saying that hybrid TKD schools deserve the bashing they get.

You agree with me that not knowing how to box is most likely a crucial component, so why are you arguing with a proposition you agree with?
My point was in response to you saying TKD deserves bashing, and qualifying that with your anecdotal experience. Obviously knowing how to use your hands (whether or not that's boxing) is important. But you were suggesting that TKD didn't, based on your experience with your school/sparring one kickboxer. That's why I wanted to know if you had more experience than just that-since that's not evidence. Since you do, that's what you should have qualified your initial statement with, it would've saved a page of responses for both of us.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has there been any evidence on the TKD side of this argument other than anecdotes?
No clue, but I'm not making any claim that TKD is useful. I've never trained it and like I said I have no skin in the game either way.

But if someone were to make that claim, and used an example of them beating one kickboxer in a sparring match (unless that kickboxer was a K-1 champ or something), I'd have issue with that as well.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That it stands up to par with other modern striking styles.

I know trying to get anything other than anecdotes from your average poster is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone. So after 8 pages of what I imagine is personal opinion and experience to suddenly demand data. Just would seem a bit one sided.
I'm not even asking for legitimate data. Just to know if he has enough experience to support his statement.

As for the previous 8 pages, the first 3 or so was from 8 years ago, and the rest seems to be mostly about whether or not it's good to hit your kids. And there was requests in there for posters to back up their statements with data, who unsurprisingly decided to instead opt for discussing personal experience and ignore any requests for data. So it's not even a sudden demand in this thread.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What difference does it make?

Because there are literally hundreds of thousands of people teaching TKD, from piles of different systems. Sample size matters. A sample size of 4 out of, say, 300,000 is meaningless.

I know what's formally part of the art and what's not .

Really? You're sure about that? Care to tell me what is and isn't a part of TKD MDK?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really. The curriculums are independent of instructors.

If you're going to be so arrogant, you should probably fact-check yourself first.

The curriculums in Taekwondo are pretty much left up to the Master of each school. For example, in KKW, the only requirements are that you do 8 Taegeuks. Even then, some schools don't even do those. What punches, kicks, etc. you learn and how you learn is entirely up to the local school. Anything else you learn is up to the local school as well. I guarantee you 100% that if you came to my school from any other, you would not have the same curriculum, because much of what goes on our test is specific to our school.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My point was in response to you saying TKD deserves bashing, and qualifying that with your anecdotal experience. Obviously knowing how to use your hands (whether or not that's boxing) is important. But you were suggesting that TKD didn't, based on your experience with your school/sparring one kickboxer. That's why I wanted to know if you had more experience than just that-since that's not evidence. Since you do, that's what you should have qualified your initial statement with, it would've saved a page of responses for both of us.

I did not say use your hands, I said box. My argument applies exactly the same to karate. Raymond Daniels Kempo black belt did not help one bit.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Because there are literally hundreds of thousands of people teaching TKD, from piles of different systems. Sample size matters. A sample size of 4 out of, say, 300,000 is meaningless.

Really? You're sure about that? Care to tell me what is and isn't a part of TKD MDK?

I know what isn't and how woefully inept it is against someone who can both kick and box, and is an equally skilled athlete.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

I know what isn't and how woefully inept it is against someone who can both kick and box, and is an equally skilled athlete.
You don’t half talk a load of rubbish.....it has everything to do with the actual fighter not the system. If a great taekwondo fighter fights a crap Muay Thai fighter then the Muay Thai guy will lose and vice versa. If you couldn’t use it effectively maybe it’s you that’s woefully inept...not the system

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don’t half talk a load of rubbish.....it has everything to do with the actual fighter not the system. If a great taekwondo fighter fights a crap Muay Thai fighter then the Muay Thai guy will lose and vice versa. If you couldn’t use it effectively maybe it’s you that’s woefully inept...not the system

Well Duh! If a great fighter fights a crap fighter, the great fighter will win.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well done you’re starting to learn

Learning what? It doesn’t tell you anything about the system if you only beat people worse than yourself. If you clone me and have the other guy do Kickboxing for the same amount of time, I know who will win.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not say use your hands, I said box. My argument applies exactly the same to karate. Raymond Daniels Kempo black belt did not help one bit.
Yeah I purposefully avoided that word since that's not the only way to strike. As an example you'll probably accept, muay thai fighters don't 'box', but still know how to use their hands.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Learning what? It doesn’t tell you anything about the system if you only beat people worse than yourself. If you clone me and have the other guy do Kickboxing for the same amount of time, I know who will win.
Oh good now you’re going into science fiction. If the style was as you put it “woefully inept” then it wouldn’t matter the skill level because it’s such a bad system that it wouldn’t be able to beat anyone...

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh good now you’re going into science fiction. If the style was as you put it “woefully inept” then it wouldn’t matter the skill level because it’s such a bad system that it wouldn’t be able to beat anyone...

So it's a good system because it beats someone who's crap? :confused:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So it's a good system because it beats someone who's crap? :confused:
God it’s like talking to a brick wall with you....no...there’s no such thing as good and bad systems only good and bad practitioners....if it didn’t work for you in a fight...maybe that says more about your skills or lack of...maybe thing of that before blaming the system...because there are plenty of excellent taekwondo guys out there who could 100% use it effectively....just cause you can’t doesn’t mean it’s not a good system.

now read it slowly so it sinks in