What do you kick with?

• Shin

• Foot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I generally use my foot when doing roundhouse kicks. However, there are times I will use my shin. It would depend on what kind of kick, what I'm wearing on my feet, location and proximity of the attacker.

- Ceicei

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kicking the shin is one of the most practical self defence tactics. Striking the target would not result in permanent nor fatal injury. Yet it can create excruciating pain that decapicitates the attacker, allowing you to flee or finish him off with follow-up's.

No steel toe shoes needed. Only forceful kicks with the edge of your shoes will do. But, practice, practice and practice.

Stomping on the foot is also a very effective tactic. It can also inflict excruciating pain. If you get grapped or in close range, this is an ideal tactic.

OP
S

soccer50

Shin conditioning is really neccesary. Since it will make it harder and reduce the pain. Imagine shins as a a thick broom stick. It'll hurt alot to get hit by one. People with even more conditioned shins, like Muay Thai fighters, whheww. Like metal poles.

Hitting with your foot has many disatvantages. Like the risk of broken bones or sprains.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wear steel toes for work all the time and most of the time when I'm not at work as well. You definetly don't feel any pain when you kick with the steel toes on but it sure changes the way a kick feels when you throw it. I wear a size 13 so that adds an extra 5 pounds or so to my foot.

OP
K

kenpo12

It really depends on what your are doing with the kick and what kind of kick. I round house thrust kick to the thight or knee I would more than likely use the shin. But it also depends on the shoes I might have on if I'm on the street. If I have boots on I might use the toe.
Shin or foot also depends on what I'm doing with the kick. Sometime I'll use a quick skip kick or flick a kick to the groin mainly to get a reaction as opposed to damage. Both weapons have their place and it's just up to how you use them.

OP
S

soccer50

Originally posted by oldnewbie
What do you suggest for the conditioning, I have not been taught this.:asian:

People say both Thai Pads and heavy bag work conditions the shin. but in reality, its only heavy bags. start of kick the mid section of the back. then work you way to kicking the bottom.
the bottom is the densest part of the bag

OP
D

Danny

Well I do 6 12x12x1 pine or spruce boards with the ball of my foot pretty easily. I can't see doing that with my shin. One because I would probably collapse in pain, and two because using my foot allows for more leverage then my shin as it is father down my leg and can thus travel much faster. Especially when factoring in snap from the knee. Main problem would be damaging my toes when wearing shoes because I cannot pull them back. But that's not a major problem, we break our toes so much we don't even get the rest of the class off anymore.

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
as a practicioner of wing chun i do most all kicking with my feet. Most of our kicks are the bottom of the foot into a knee cap and hooking away someones leg

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Danny
Well I do 6 12x12x1 pine or spruce boards with the ball of my foot pretty easily. I can't see doing that with my shin. One because I would probably collapse in pain, and two because using my foot allows for more leverage then my shin as it is father down my leg and can thus travel much faster. Especially when factoring in snap from the knee. Main problem would be damaging my toes when wearing shoes because I cannot pull them back. But that's not a major problem, we break our toes so much we don't even get the rest of the class off anymore.

I used to practice the RH kick with the ball of my foot, but stopped due to the fact that I was constantly injuring my toes. Again, as far as how the kick is executed, I would think that it depends on the situation. The snappy kicking, IMO, is best saved for the point and tourny sparring. I dont understand why anyone would want to snap a kick if they were using it in SD.

As for the foot being closer....well, the foot and shin are all part of the same leg, so its all gonna be going in the same direction. All you need to do is push your hips a little closer, and there you go...the shin hits the target.

Mike

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Depends. It's impossible to do a sidekick with your shin, and that's a good, versatile kick in a lot of respects. Not especially damage prone either. Can't do a front kick with your shin either or a hook kick etc.

Right tool for the job and all that.
You can do a front kick with the shin....per a shin to the groin.

Also, for hard-core street tactics, the foot is better and better protected.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To be honest, I've *never* thrown a kick in a fight. I've thrown thousands training, against a bag, playing around with friends, putting holes in walls, etc. But never not once during a fight. Huh.

I voted foot.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am inclined to agree that kicks are over-rated. In free sparring, I'll throw a Thai-style roundhouse kick to control distance or a push-kick to gain space, but rarely much else except to ward people off--you know, things I wouldn't expect to land, just to make it clear it's a bad time for them to come in on me. (I count a knee as different from a kick--I know some would argue.) Hands do the heavy lifting, so to speak. Nonetheless, I find the question of whether kicks should resemble walking motions or no to be an interesting one. Certainly, looking at Bill Wallace etc. getting hip replacements makes me wonder.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
I used to practice the RH kick with the ball of my foot, but stopped due to the fact that I was constantly injuring my toes. Again, as far as how the kick is executed, I would think that it depends on the situation. The snappy kicking, IMO, is best saved for the point and tourny sparring. I dont understand why anyone would want to snap a kick if they were using it in SD.

In one sparring session, a guy caught a ball of the foot RH kick to the face. He had to have a titanuim plate installed because the impact shattered his orbital. That tends to turn folk's attention sharply inwards. Sufficient stopping power's still there.

(Wouldn't count on that happening on the street though.)

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
When a mans head is below is waist either is just fine with me ,lol

OP
G

goshawk

I said shin, as I assumed you meant roundhouses. Then I read the other replies, and whups! Roundhouses = shin, but just about everything else = foot.

Latest Discussions