Foot or Shin

What do you kick with?

• Shin

• Foot

Results are only viewable after voting.
S

soccer50

Be honest in this one.

Ive seen many people kick with their feet. I honostly think that will hurt you in the end.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends. It's impossible to do a sidekick with your shin, and that's a good, versatile kick in a lot of respects. Not especially damage prone either. Can't do a front kick with your shin either or a hook kick etc.

Right tool for the job and all that.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I prefer kicking with my foot- my shins are toast after the beatings they've taken over the years.

:asian: :karate:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I assume you're talking roundhouse type kicks. I kick with the foot when I'm trying for speed and the shin when going for power.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll do both. When working kicks on the bags, especially the roundhouse, I'll always kick with the shin. Of course, the side kick has to be with the bottom of the foot, but then again, its still a harder surface than with the top of the foot. Even kicks such as the instep, I'll still try to get a little higher on the leg.

Mike

OP
S

soccer50

Ya, I was tlaking about roundhouse types. And i agree with kickin with your foot for speed. I also do that, but with the Thai Pads only. I find it helpful. But when i fight or hit the heavy bag, its all shin. What part of the foot do you guys hit with?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're doing point sparring, and you're throwing a RH kick, then yeah, I'd say hit with the instep, but if you're working the bags or its a SD situaion, you'll get 10 times the power with your shin.

Mike

OP
B

bob919

as far as round house kicks go

shin is better for harder targets sucha s ribs knees and thighs but if your gona kick the abdomen hit with the ball of the foot it penetrates so deep!

i prefer shin usually as my targets are low usually on the leg the leg is not a big target widthwise but the shin gives a wide margin of error; almost 2 feet of striking area

OP
L

LadyDragon

I think it all depends on the target you're trying to hit, and the type of intensity you plan on putting into the shot. Whether or not you plan on trying to plow through you opponent, or if you plan to kick a field goal with them. Either way, you're hopefully going to get some king of reaction out of them.

OP
S

soccer50

People should kick with their shins and make it habbit. Because if people are used to kickin with their foot, its useless in fighting. the foot takes more pain pain than it exerts

OP
B

bob919

Originally posted by soccer50
People should kick with their shins and make it habbit. Because if people are used to kickin with their foot, its useless in fighting. the foot takes more pain pain than it exerts

i wouldn't say its useless but i would say that 90% of the time s shin kick is mpore appropriate

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by bob919
i wouldn't say its useless but i would say that 90% of the time s shin kick is mpore appropriate
I would say both, but I agree that the shin is harder to break than your foot; so , the shin is in.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
...if a traditional round is executed properly...there should be no pain since the striking surface is the ball of the foot...and simply because it is a smaller striking surface the psi yield will be higher. ...I wouldn't wanna subject my shins to anymore abuse than they've already sustained..

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
A primary thing to remember about shins is that they too need to be conditioned. I have shins like rocks, people do not enjoy a shin clash with me or even appreciate it when I use my shin to check their kicks. If you do not condition your shins, you will more than likely experience pain whent hey are struck with something hard.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss
...if a traditional round is executed properly...there should be no pain since the striking surface is the ball of the foot...and simply because it is a smaller striking surface the psi yield will be higher. ...I wouldn't wanna subject my shins to anymore abuse than they've already sustained..
Yes, but you have less margin for error, its dark , you both drunk, and your toe is broken.:D

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
people do not enjoy a shin clash with me or even appreciate it when I use my shin to check their kicks.

milk...it works. ;) ...had enough dents and bumps going down my shin...guards were a wise investment. :D

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by soccer50

Useless in fighting... No. A steel toed shoe's gonna change that dynamic in a hurry. It may not be as strong in a ring, but that's not the end all.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Marginal
Useless in fighting... No. A steel toed shoe's gonna change that dynamic in a hurry. It may not be as strong in a ring, but that's not the end all.

Sure, when you're outside or wearing shoes in the dojo, it'll make a difference. I suppose your target area will determine what kick you're going to do. If I was gonna kick the leg, I'd definately use the shin. Then again, kicking the midsection with the shin is also very effective.

Mike

Latest Discussions