Quitting the Biz :(

C

clapping_tiger

I have decided today that I have to quit, not the martial arts but working at the school as the admissions director. Unfortunately, as much as I loved it in beginning it has now become something I dread doing. I always told myself when I accepted the job that if it interfered with my training and my love for learning I would quit. I have been wrestling with this for a few months and have even taking some time off, but things haven’t changed. I am going to once again just be a student. Sure I will help out when needed, but I no longer can deal with "having" to be there all the time. Also it is not like I wasn't successful, I had about an 85% enrollment rate, which is pretty high for this industry. I just miss the days of working out, limping home, and going back because I want to be there, not because I am required to be there. The part I love the most is working with the other students and maybe teaching them something they have never done before, or helping them see something they were unable to see before, giving them ideas and such. I was an assistant before accepting this and really enjoyed it, but once again if I go the instructor route, I will be forced to come in, regardless of my mood, or how I am feeling. Another thing this job has shown me is that I would not ever want to own my own school, it is a lot more work than one would think. I worked hand in hand with the Owner/Head instructor on many things and I'll tell you this, there is A LOT more to owning a school than just knowing the art. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can run a successful school, and keep their love of the art alive, and find time to train and keep up on their material. In an hour I have to break the news to my instructor and I know that he will respect my decision, he is a fair and understanding man, but I still can't help but feel that in a way I am letting him down. But I have to follow my heart and my heart just is not in the business side of the martial arts.

Thanks for taking the time to listen......er uh read my post. It helped me to prepare for giving him this news. :asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Was that your primary job, or your secondary?

I know what you mean, though, by your decision. The business end can be tough...I would never own my own school, I don't think, because of this.

Well when it stops being fun, you know you have to do something different.

Good luck with everything!

:asian:

OP
C

clapping_tiger

No, that was not my primary job, so this won't hurt m financially. It's all good now, and my instructor understood and said he is happy I chose a route that keep me happy and allow me to keep my spark alive. He said he would rather have me in class and happy, than be miserable and working for the school. I feel pretty good and refreshed. It's almost like starting new.:)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tapps
Sounds like a good teacher.

best of luck, train hard.
I agree 100% with that. It's refreshing to see an instructor who is more concerned with the progress of his students than having a full staff in the office.

OP
C

clapping_tiger

Originally posted by Tapps
Sounds like a good teacher.

best of luck, train hard.

Yes he is, that is why I want so badly to remain there. I wouldn't want to train anywhere else.

OP
T

TonyM.

There comes a time. I folded my hands in culinary arts five years ago and folded them in martial arts a little over two years ago. I have not regretted either decision.

Latest Discussions