Weight Lifting

S

soccer50

What are good excersices for Muscular Strength for the upperbody? I have access to free wieghts and a curl bar. No machines, so if anyone can provide me with any links or info on how to perform the excersices , it'll be great. Thanks

OP
B

bscastro

There are many exercises for the upperbody that are good. Part of it is not only the exercises, but also how they are done which is important. Here are some examples of exercises and the muscles they work:

1. Bench Press: Chest, shoulders, a little triceps - this is an overall basic move that hits a lot of muscles.
2. Military Press or Behind the neck press: These two exercises hit the deltoids/shoulders.
3. Pullover: This can be done with a dumbell or barbell. This hits the lats, the serratus (the muscles lining the ribcage), and the triceps a little depending on your technique.
4. Dips: Depending on which variation, this can hit the triceps more or focus on the chest and shoulders.
5. Curls: This hits the biceps, but I wouldn't focus on these as much until you've hit the bigger muscles with the presses.
6. Bent-over row: Hits many muscles of the back depending on the variation.

As for how to do them, there are many philosophies. I believe simple is best in terms of general "getting stronger." Heavy weight (within reason) so that you can do 8-12 reps. You should struggle to do the last rep and if you have a spotter (which you should), then you can almost go to full exhaustion. 1-3 sets per exercise per workout.

You can find a lot of info at cyberpump.com. Cyberpump It is about HIT (High Intensity Training) which means mainly training short but very hard!

Good luck!

Bryan

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by soccer50
What are good excersices for Muscular Strength for the upperbody? I have access to free wieghts and a curl bar. No machines, so if anyone can provide me with any links or info on how to perform the excersices , it'll be great. Thanks

Look in the health section I did a lot on each muscle group. You may have to search through a couple of pages but they are there.

OP
S

soccer50

Thanks alot...

do u guys do weights same days as MA training or a seperate day? if u do the wieghts the same day, how do u fit it in? befor or after? thanks

OP
K

Kempo Guy

do u guys do weights same days as MA training or a seperate day?

I would alternate days depending on how vigerous your MA training is.

if u do the wieghts the same day, how do u fit it in? befor or after?

When I lifted weights I would do them early in the morning three times per week. I did MA five times per week at the time in the evening. If you do this, make sure you get adequate nutrition and rest. Overtraining is much easier to do than many thing.
And make sure to take a couple of weeks off after each cycle, for instance take two week off after an 8 week cycle with weights etc...

BTW, what are the reasons you want to lift weights? As this would affect how you would structure your training.

KG

OP
S

soccer50

Rite now, i do very light weight training. I want more muscular strenght and want to replace the body fat wieght i loss with muscular wieght

OP
K

Kempo Guy

Are you planning on using your MA workouts as your "cardio" workout? Cause you need cardiovascular training as well to lose weight.

FWIW, it's generally pretty hard to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time (unless you are new to both). If this is what you are looking for, I'd suggest reading a "primer" like "Body for Life". It shows you pretty straight forward information on basic bodybuilding, cardio training (HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training) and diet.

KG

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by soccer50
do u guys do weights same days as MA training or a seperate day? if u do the wieghts the same day, how do u fit it in? befor or after? thanks

I lift weights 5 days a week. I do it during my lunch hour at work. Also, only train 1 or 2 body parts in a session. My sessions are usually 40 minutes in length. However they are tough 40 min. I move from one exercise to the next more like circuit training except that when I do the bi/tri together it's not the same exercise back to back. See what I'm saying.:asian: The legs are done with one quad. movement then one ham. movement. At the end they are put together with squats and walking lunges.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Recommended by my teacher, Bill Schettino, whose advice is always on the mark:

-----Forwarded Message-----
Sent: Jan 8, 2004 4:56 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: info on 1/31 & 2/1 kettlebell workshop

K.O.ntact Champ and Strength Coach extraordinaire Steve Cotter is offering his patented Full K.O.ntact Kettlebells workshop on Sat. Jan. 31 and Sun. Feb. 1 at The Training
Room in Avon, NJ.

This will be a 2 day, Level 1 and Level 2 course. The content includes:

Level 1
2 and 1 hand swings, cleans, double cleans, front squats,
Turkish get-ups, presses (strict military press, double press, alternate press,1 leg press, seated press, waiter's press), snatch, jerk, double jerks, rack holds and overhead holds

Level 2

This will cover figure 8s, around the worlds, 1 leg DL, windmills (low, high, doubles), double swings, double snatch, alternating cleans, alternating snatch, bottoms-up cleans, bottoms-up press, side press, bent press, 2 hands anyhow, Renegade rows, overhead squats, and specialized Full K.O.ntact movements for martial arts.

The theme of the course is applied strength for Martial Art application, using kettlebells as the ideal auxiliary training tool for developing explosive power in all ranges

Both courses will cover in-depth power breathing and auxiliary stretching methods necessary to properly perform the kettlebell lifts.

You will leave the workshops with a thorough understanding of proper lifting mechanics, program design, and goal setting/achievement.

Pre-registration is required. Fee is $200 for 1 day and $300 for both. The
workshops are both 5 hr in duration.

The host facility, The Training Room in Avon, NJ (Avon-by-the-sea) is now handling all registration.

Please contact the gym directly to register.

Contact Jim Milkowski at [email protected] to sign up for 2 days of educational torture with yours truly.

[email protected]

Let me know if you have any questions, requests, comments.

In Strength,

Steve Cotter

Full K.O.ntact Kettlebells
www.fullkontact.com

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

I've been using a nock-off version of the bowflex called the crossbow. The resistance training seems to be working great. If anyone has used something like this how does it compare to free weights. I don't have any so I can't make a real comparison.

abraham

White Belt
Reaction score
Here are some weight lifting benefits.
It strengthens the muscles.
It increases the body’s flexibility.
It increases resistance to injury.
It increases bone mass and mobility.
It helps reduce the risk of heart disease and lowers the levels of LDL cholesterol.
It helps keep the body in good shape promotes the overall health of the body

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just make sure also that you don't bulk. Seeing as you are doing a home workout ( or otherwise non gym workout ) that shouldn't happen. Just do high repetitions ( as many as you can, I do one set of 80 -100 hammer curls with 8 pounders for example. or 25 with 15 pounders )

I'm a naturally skinny person, So I'm not sure how well this will work for you, but my workout routine is divided into upper and lower body. This is my upper body.

Upper body ( arms, chest, abs, back, shoulders etc )
Note: you don't have to do it all. Just work at them like a circuit until you are too tired or run out of time

2 sets of 25 push ups
2 sets of 15 chin ups ( quite often I will do more, but 15 is the minimum )
3 sets of 8 cross body crunches ( which means you are basically doing 48 regular crunches plus the twists )
2 sets of 20 torso rotations ( per side )
1 set of AT LEAST 60 hammer curls ( more often than not I do 80 )
2 sets of 20 scissor kicks
1 set of 30 dumbbell tricep extensions.

If you want to make it more hardcore you can put in another set of hammer curls and crunches. Basically just keep switching between a set of ab centric exorcise and a set of arm centric exorcise and just keep going keeping stop time to a minimum.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Old thread but in case you're still looking.

Try Stronglifts 5x5. It's powerlifting based but give it a shot if you have access to a power rack.

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
The best exercises for martial arts are the complex ones. Do the base exercises and don't use machines very often, use only free weights. One great exercise that i do very often is called "Clean and Jerk" it's very complex and it's very good for explosive power.

Latest Discussions