Fixing the training model

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve my friend lol..................One maybe needs to have a small word with you regarding who went to colonize the states lol......bot the kinda edited version that is in your history books (as they do tend to be somewhat missing large chunks ...which don't quite fit the "party line", and yes I have seen first hand what kids are taught in school regarding history, my Kids were subject to it and they did get quite a shock when they came back here and got a full account lol ....they still to this day get stick when they say ummmm no not true about the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (yes that is the proper title lol)
Don't confuse the issue with facts, sir. They have no place in polite conversation... nor here.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I think we were largely British before we were a British colony.

That I don't think so, maybe parts of the eastern seaboard but the rest, I wouldn't think so, but I am sure you will say I am wrong

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That I don't think so, maybe parts of the eastern seaboard but the rest, I wouldn't think so, but I am sure you will say I am wrong
Well the part that was America. But you're right. Here in Washington state we are vigorous and strong in large part due to hybrid vigor and lack of British influence. That is, in fact, the reason we are better in all ways to our neighbors in British Columbia, Canada. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now you really have surprised me with the declaration of Arbroath

Yes I am a Scot, actually if you ask me when I am overseas I will say that, at home I'll say first I'm an Islander and then a Gael, but that only back home.

You obviously know but there are many who do not that The united Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is and are seprate counties, Yes England and Wales and to some extent Northern Ireland share the same Law but Scotland does not we have our own lol and it is very different in places to that of The rest of the UK,GB &NI and again you will know that there is a difference between UK, GB and UK GB &NI lol.
Honestly, I only know about it because I took a lot of courses in college on religious history, and focused mainly on the rise of christianity, between the roman empire to the middle ages. That document came up a couple of times when they talked about the fracturing that occurred in northern europe. Otherwise I would have no idea what you were talking about.

In my head for some reason I thought you were from england, not scotland, but I'll remember that going forwards.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Honestly, I only know about it because I took a lot of courses in college on religious history, and focused mainly on the rise of christianity, between the roman empire to the middle ages. That document came up a couple of times when they talked about the fracturing that occurred in northern europe. Otherwise I would have no idea what you were talking about.

In my head for some reason I thought you were from england, not scotland, but I'll remember that going forwards.
They don't mind. If there is one thing I know with absolute certainty, it's that the citizens of the UK see no meaningful distinction between Brits, Scots, Welsh or the Irish. What's in a name, after all? ;)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
They don't mind. If there is one thing I know with absolute certainty, it's that the citizens of the UK see no meaningful distinction between Brits, Scots, Welsh or the Irish. What's in a name, after all? ;)
Well, aside from the fact that the scots tend to hate the English..and the irish tend to hate the English..and the Welsh hate the..you get the picture.

Long term occupation tends to breed long term bad blood.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, aside from the fact that the scots tend to hate the English..and the irish tend to hate the English..and the Welsh hate the..you get the picture.

Long term occupation tends to breed long term bad blood.
kind of like how Californians are occupying Seattle ...

Seriously, though, I was being sarcastic. :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
kind of like how Californians are occupying Seattle ...

Seriously, though, I was being sarcastic. :)

No nothing like that. The USA is one nation. The UK isn't. The scots,welsh, Irish and English have a very long and bloody past. That **** doesn't ever go away.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nowadays in the US, the Northeast hates the midwest, the southeast hates the northeast, the coasts hate the not-coasts, Half the country hates texas and the rest hates california. I jest, but at the same time I dont..some of the hate is real and intense.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, that's easily the funniest post you've made in a month or two, Steve. Thankfully, I'm already out of champagne, so didn't risk any when I laughed at that.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Oh now that does get very very complicated. Interesting for sure and it does go a long way to explaining things that are still ongoing to this day.

Oh I am a Scot, well as I said overseas I am but back home I am first an Islander and a Gael

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Scots, Welsh and Irish (both types) are all "Brits" by being residents of the British Isles, so there is no distinction to be made anyway.

The English are "Brit" as well.

The British Isles covers the whole thing - the UK is everything excluding the Republic of Ireland (the larger southern part, formerly Eire), then the individual countries of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Personally, I put "British" as nationality, unless it's not an available option - whereupon I revert to English.

Which leads to the fact that I've never once met one single person who would consider "European" a viable answer. Even in continental Europe.

It's like how everyone in Canada, the US, Panama, Chile, Brazil (etc.) are all Americans.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No nothing like that. The USA is one nation. The UK isn't. The scots,welsh, Irish and English have a very long and bloody past. That **** doesn't ever go away.

Yes there is a long a very bloody past, But one nation well we were and to the outside we are. Our internal things are complicated (yes they always are) but not in the way it may appear. The peoples don't hate one another per se , That has more to do with outside image than internal. England is a Kingdom as is Scotland (the present Monarch to all outside is Elizabeth II but here she isn't she is Elizabeth I ), Wales in not a kingdom it is a principality, Northern Ireland well really it is a province as the high Kings from there ruled of more than what is there now, (that does get very complicated)

At most sports we play separately, although Northern Ireland does at Football and other things but Rugby no it then unites with Eire for that.

Be careful if you look at the Commonwealth and say that is the Empire as it is not. Some members of the Commonwealth were not part of the Empire.

There are still Crown Colonies (although they are not called that now), So in essence there still is an Empire lol. I think there are 14 if memory serves, The first Crown colony was I think Virginia lol although that at times is described as being an English crown colony when it wasn't lol as the union of the Crowns had by that time taken place (the union of the parliaments came later and yes now it isn't and it is and that possibly is where alot of confusion starts.

Yes internally we do have our issues but to the outside world we are one.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Scots, Welsh and Irish (both types) are all "Brits" by being residents of the British Isles, so there is no distinction to be made anyway.

The English are "Brit" as well.

The British Isles covers the whole thing - the UK is everything excluding the Republic of Ireland (the larger southern part, formerly Eire), then the individual countries of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Personally, I put "British" as nationality, unless it's not an available option - whereupon I revert to English.

Which leads to the fact that I've never once met one single person who would consider "European" a viable answer. Even in continental Europe.

It's like how everyone in Canada, the US, Panama, Chile, Brazil (etc.) are all Americans.

Bro The Republic of Ireland is Eire ....that is the Gaelic for that name ...like the Gaelic for Scotland is Alba, the North of Ireland is the province of Ulster one of the four provinces of Ireland

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
England and Wales and to some extent Northern Ireland share the same Law but Scotland does not we have our own lol and it is very different in places to that of The rest of the UK

I can't not say it...

It's funny how the countries of England and Scotland are separate with respect to law until it comes to restricting freedoms.

It was Scottish influence that led to the original restriction on air rifle power.

It was a Scottish incident that led to the huge restrictions on handguns.

It was a Scottish incident that is trying to lead to an almost blanket ban on all air weapons (oh, and any firearm).

It's a group of Scottish politicians who are campaigning to introduce motor vehicle power and speed restrictions.

Admittedly, it does work both ways - in the eyes of the politicos we're separate unless they can see a way to impinge on our respective lives...