Aikido in MMA

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by MartialArtist
Mike Tyson got tied up at an aikido school in Japan.

Uuuhh……..I actually witnessed that event.
The teacher showed Tyson how to do a technique and Tyson applied it with the help of about 10 Aikido students crowding around like a bunch of cockroaches.
Nobody applied technique to Tyson.
Afterwards Tyson just kind of looked like “Yeah OK…whatever” and then left.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by MartialArtist
http://www.misogi-aikido.com/shioda1.htm

It doesn't elaborate on the friendly discussion of ideas, but this is the very same place where Mike Tyson started getting into meditation.

“He spent the war years in an administrative support capacity in China, Taiwan, Celebes and Borneo, eventually returning to Japan in May 1946.”

I love this quote from his Bio.
What that should actually read is he was a low ranking member of the infamous Kempeitai (Japanese version of the SS during WWII) and part of his “administrative support” was to pimp for the troops.
Yup…..he was one of the guys that rounded up “comfort women” (local women forced into prostitution) for the Japanese Army.
I remember him recalling it rather humorously in a magazine interview.
Great guy…..great role model for spiritual growth.:rolleyes:

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by moromoro
ok

but the ufc like the k1 has a lot to do with the popularity of the fighters

Do you know any of the UFC or K-1 fighters personally or have any contact with their organizations?

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Also from the same website:

“Shioda’s complete mastery of Aikido was confirmed in 1961 when Morihei Ueshiba awarded him the degree of ninth dan for his outstanding contribution to the promotion of Japanese martial arts in general and Aikido in particular was further acknowledged by the honorary award of tenth dan by the International Martial Arts Federation in 1984”

While Ueshiba was certainly no slouch the International Martial Arts Federation also known as the Kokusai Budoin is a joke.
Why this person even mentions them on his website is beyond me.
The International Martial Arts Federation offered me rank in their organization and added that I would have to be graded. When I asked by whom the “owner” of the International Martial Arts Federation who is a Judoka said he would grade me.
I asked him if he had ever trained in Okinawan Karate, his reply was “no”.
I then asked what made him think he was qualified to grant dan ranks in an art he had never studied.
Avoid the International Martial Arts Federation like the plague. They are THE dan factory of Japan.
They shell out ranks to respectable MA people to give themselves authenticity not the other way around.

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
Do you know any of the UFC or K-1 fighters personally or have any contact with their organizations?

no
my trainer in muay thai one of my good friends is the assistant trainer of Mark Hunt 2001 K1 champ..........

also what you are saying is right how could anyone stoop by allowing organisations to grade them i guess if it honorary its ok but now we are seeing so called masters, get graded by their own students.......what a joke this is

Latest Discussions