First Day of Class

Great question! I remember my first class-4/2/75 like it was yesterday-had been pestering my parents about letting me take martial arts and we moved into an area with a community college program. I was very excited and I loved every minute of it. Nearly 30 years later, I still enjoy training at least as much as before.

Miles

My very first class ever was 6 years ago. It was only an intro. class, and I felt relatively comfy, a little confused, and somewhat nervous because I did it without telling my parents. At the time, I was working, still lived at home, and they were ALWAYS pestering me about not signing a contract with anyone without telling them (m+d)first. My next "first" class was fine, although I was a little nervous because it was a different style of TKD. It wound up not being all that different than my old one, so I caught on fast.

First class was different for me I guess. I'd spent several years sitting in the audience watching first my son and then my husband attain their black belts. I knew all of the etiquette and some of the basics. So it was more like, I don't know, a family reunion of sorts.

It is weird having my family members as senior instructors. (Of course it's the only place they get to tell me what to do.):ultracool

Everyone has their own reasons for starting. Some people just want physical fitness. Others want self defense. Still others start because a friend convinced them to join. I've noticed many of them tend to be selective in which aspects of class appealed to them. They also tend to have a more casual attitude toward class-it is more recreation for them.
I remember I was so excited to finally be able to practice Tae Kwon Do. I was shy and nervous my first day, but ate up everything they showed me. I also couldn't wait to show my dad what I had learned. I don't think he really cared though. I just couldn't wait to go back the next day.
Hard to believe those black belts who taught me that first day are my colleagues now.

My fist class was accidental. I took my kids to class (normally my wife did) and one guy there who I knew from church said "take of your shoes and hop in" and I thought 'sure, why not'

Six months later I go to class 5 or 6 times a week and am constantly bugging our sabomnim with email questions about technique, tactics, philosophy, etc...

My first day was a painful experience. I am quite a big guy so i thought i was the man. Which ended up with me in pain and unable to walk with a sore back because i wouldnt tap out. This just gave me more hunger for it. :mp5:

I've seen that attitude before. In judo I was doing randori with a football player from the university who had joined our class. He was a lineman and being a former lineman/football recruit we got paired together. I was bigger, but he was definitely stronger. Eventually, he was on top of me and I put on a choke hold. I saw his face turning a beat red and coming up on purple and I even remember telling him to tap. At this point I realized one of two things were going to happen, because he refused to tap...I was going to choke him out or I could let him go....

Which is the point where sensei called an end to randori for that day...

My first day i was told where to line up and then after the bow we did a warm up and stretches. We did partner strenches and i almost pulled my friend who got me to go's muscle cause i was too afraid to ask if i was doing it right. Then after this i was taken off by myslef there was no other white belts that day and learnt a whole bunch of basics. I didn't return to class the next day cause i was so sore from the warm up, stretching and all the time spent in horse stance

Back