First Day of Class

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great question! I remember my first class-4/2/75 like it was yesterday-had been pestering my parents about letting me take martial arts and we moved into an area with a community college program. I was very excited and I loved every minute of it. Nearly 30 years later, I still enjoy training at least as much as before.

Miles

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My very first class ever was 6 years ago. It was only an intro. class, and I felt relatively comfy, a little confused, and somewhat nervous because I did it without telling my parents. At the time, I was working, still lived at home, and they were ALWAYS pestering me about not signing a contract with anyone without telling them (m+d)first. My next "first" class was fine, although I was a little nervous because it was a different style of TKD. It wound up not being all that different than my old one, so I caught on fast.

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
First class was different for me I guess. I'd spent several years sitting in the audience watching first my son and then my husband attain their black belts. I knew all of the etiquette and some of the basics. So it was more like, I don't know, a family reunion of sorts.

It is weird having my family members as senior instructors. (Of course it's the only place they get to tell me what to do.):ultracool

OP
M

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyone has their own reasons for starting. Some people just want physical fitness. Others want self defense. Still others start because a friend convinced them to join. I've noticed many of them tend to be selective in which aspects of class appealed to them. They also tend to have a more casual attitude toward class-it is more recreation for them.
I remember I was so excited to finally be able to practice Tae Kwon Do. I was shy and nervous my first day, but ate up everything they showed me. I also couldn't wait to show my dad what I had learned. I don't think he really cared though. I just couldn't wait to go back the next day.
Hard to believe those black belts who taught me that first day are my colleagues now.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
My fist class was accidental. I took my kids to class (normally my wife did) and one guy there who I knew from church said "take of your shoes and hop in" and I thought 'sure, why not'

Six months later I go to class 5 or 6 times a week and am constantly bugging our sabomnim with email questions about technique, tactics, philosophy, etc...

J

jjmcc

My first day was a painful experience. I am quite a big guy so i thought i was the man. Which ended up with me in pain and unable to walk with a sore back because i wouldnt tap out. This just gave me more hunger for it. :mp5:

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen that attitude before. In judo I was doing randori with a football player from the university who had joined our class. He was a lineman and being a former lineman/football recruit we got paired together. I was bigger, but he was definitely stronger. Eventually, he was on top of me and I put on a choke hold. I saw his face turning a beat red and coming up on purple and I even remember telling him to tap. At this point I realized one of two things were going to happen, because he refused to tap...I was going to choke him out or I could let him go....

Which is the point where sensei called an end to randori for that day...

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My first day i was told where to line up and then after the bow we did a warm up and stretches. We did partner strenches and i almost pulled my friend who got me to go's muscle cause i was too afraid to ask if i was doing it right. Then after this i was taken off by myslef there was no other white belts that day and learnt a whole bunch of basics. I didn't return to class the next day cause i was so sore from the warm up, stretching and all the time spent in horse stance

Latest Discussions